PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mock Draft: 1/13

Bubbles
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Again, any player who hasn't said they're staying in school is eligible for simplicity's sake. I'll also point out that this draft isn't what I think front office execs WILL do, but what I believe they SHOULD do. So here goes...

1. Detroit (0-16): Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Rationale: No, they aren't trading the pick. Maualuga wreaked havoc in the Rose Bowl, and is unquestionably the best defensive player in the draft following Brian Orakpo's performance in the Fiesta Bowl. The Lions could still trade down if a good offer comes their way, but for now, they upgrade their defense.

2. St. Louis (2-14): Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Rationale: If Bradford is off the board, they could take an offensive lineman, but as people know, I HATE drafting linemen this highly unless absolutely necessary. Bradford is an instant upgrade over Marc Bulger and Trent Green, and he fits well here.

3. Kansas City (2-14): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
Rationale: Brian Orakpo may still go here, but after how badly he performed against OSU in the Rose Bowl, I think KC goes a different direction for now. Orakpo can redeem himself at the Combine, but he's got some work to do.

4. Seattle (4-12): Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
Rationale: Has anyone's stock ever soared THIS much after a suspension? 'Bama looked hopeless against Utah, and it's because Smith wasn't there to protect John Parker Wilson and the running backs. He comes in and works alongside Walter Jones to form a tough O-line.

5. Cleveland (4-12): Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
Rationale: With Eric Mangini coming to town, Cleveland needs edge-rushers. That's exactly what Orakpo is, and the Browns are delighted he fell this far despite a subpar Fiesta Bowl.

6. Cincinnati (4-11-1): James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
Rationale: This is an interesting pick. The Bengals could be in the mix to trade up to #1, as it's not clear whether Palmer will fully recover and Fitzpatrick is NOT a starting quarterback. Assuming they don't, the hometown boy would make a nice fit on defense.

7. Oakland (5-11): Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
Rationale: Al Davis loves star power, and there isn't a more exciting player in the draft than Crabtree. He fills a big need in Oakland, and could give the rocket arm of JaMarcus Russell a great target to throw to.

8. Jacksonville (5-11): Taylor Mays, S, USC
Rationale: Jacksonville's probably fuming after falling one pick short of giving David Garrard the deep target he desperately needs. If they don't trade up to get Crabtree, they fill another need in their secondary with Mays, who is clearly the best safety in the draft.

9. Green Bay (6-10): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
Rationale: Curry's stock has shot up as of late, and with the two other marquee linebackers off the board, he's the best fit here. Green Bay's defense couldn't hold a lead to save their lives, and Curry should step in right away to help patch it up.

10. San Francisco (7-9): Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Rationale: Oher could be as good as Smith, but after the Sugar Bowl, there's no doubt Smith will be the tackle who gets drafted first. SF needs protection, and Oher can step in and provide that right away.

11. Buffalo (7-9): Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Rationale: Aaron Schobel's been hurt, but there's still no excuse for the backups being THIS horrendous. Johnson's a freak at 6'7", 265, and should disrupt plenty of plays.

12. Denver (8-8): Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
Rationale: Javon Ringer could also go here, but Moreno's more consistent than he is. Denver desperately needs a franchise running back to usher in the post-Shanahan era, and Moreno's got the talent to leap up the depth chart right away.

13. Washington (8-8): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
Rationale: Washington goes with the best player available. Their line could use bolstering, and up-and-coming QB Jason Campbell could sure appreciate the extra time on his feet.

14. New Orleans (8-8): William Moore, S, Missouri
Rationale: Moore didn't have a great senior year, but he's still the best defensive back available. This comes as good news to a team that DESPERATELY needs speed in the secondary.

15. Houston (8-8): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
Rationale: Smith's stock has soared thanks to scouts believing he may have the best feet of any lineman in the draft. Houston finally got some offensive momentum this year, and Smith can only help the situation.

16. San Diego (8-8): Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Rationale: They may still take Everette Brown, and he wouldn't be a bad pick, but SD has bigger needs than the defensive line. There's no true #1 receiver on that team, and Heyward-Bey could end up developing into one fairly quickly.

17. New York Jets (9-7): Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Rationale: The Jets could take playmaking wideout Percy Harvin, but he's injury-prone and they could easily wait a round or two to find a receiver. Instead, I think they bolster their pass defense with Davis, a guy with temper issues but a high ceiling (some say he could be even better than Malcolm Jenkins).

18. Chicago (9-7): Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
Rationale: On the other hand, the situation's much more dire in Chicago. Simply put, Kyle Orton needs a guy with soft hands to throw to. I don't know how well he'll be utilized, but Harvin's one of the best on the board who fills a definite need.

19. Tampa Bay (9-7): Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
Rationale: I'd never been high on Sanchez until the Rose Bowl, where he diced a good Penn State defense on a national stage. He's not the most exciting QB, he doesn't have the biggest arm, and he may not develop into a star, but Sanchez is a reliable guy who won't make too many mistakes despite his inexperience.

20. Detroit - from Dallas (9-7): Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
Rationale: Brown gives the Lions a big-time pass-rushing threat to go along with their young, improving linebackers. It's not much, but two very good defensive prospects in the first round is a start in looking for a few wins.

21. Arizona (9-7): Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State
Rationale: Chris Wells makes sense here, too, but the Cards already have a power runner in Tim Hightower. Ringer should be the dash to Hightower's smash, and with both being young, they've got time to mesh together.

22. Minnesota (10-6): Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
Rationale: Anything's an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson. Stafford's got a nice, strong arm, and he'll have a franchise running back in the backfield to take some of the pressure off of him. I'm not totally sold on him, but this isn't a bad situation for him to be in.

23. New England (11-5): Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
Rationale: NE could also go corner, but Spikes is a top-5 linebacker in a year where that position is loaded with talented players. With many of the Patriot linebackers approaching retirement age, Spikes provides an opportunity to reload fast.

24. Atlanta (11-5): Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
Rationale: If Atlanta wants to build upon their success this year, they need to improve their run defense. Marks was the lone good part of Auburn's terrible season, and he'll be a very good pro.

25. Miami (11-5) D.J. Moore, CB/S, Vanderbilt
Rationale: Moore is the best corner left, and Miami desperately needs to improve their pass defense. Like Atlanta, their pick is a necessary, need-based pick for a team looking to stay at a high level after struggling in 2007.

26. Baltimore (11-5): Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
Rationale: Baltimore needs a target for Joe Flacco to throw to. Ideally, there'd be a wideout here, but Pettigrew is the next best thing. He's a good blocker as well as a good receiver, and he'll fit in well with the ball-control offense.

27. Indianapolis (12-4): Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama
Rationale: Indy's run defense, as usual, is terrible. Cody doesn't have much experience, but that means more room to grow in the long run. He'll be a good one for a perennial contender.

28. Philadelphia - from Carolina (12-4): Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Rationale: As mentioned, going lineman-lineman doesn't make sense when problems in the receiving corps need to be addressed. If Pettigrew is available here, I think they grab him. Otherwise, Gresham could step in, run routes, and block pretty efficiently.

29. New York Giants (12-4): Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
Rationale: As Plaxico Burress's gun proved, they need another impact wideout. Maclin fits the bill as an All-American, and while he's not exactly 6'5" or a world-class athlete, he's got tremendous speed, good hands, and solid route-running skills. If they don't re-sign Brandon Jacobs, Chris Wells could also go here, but his injuries have hurt his draft stock.

30. Tennessee (13-3): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
Rationale: If they don't resign Albert Haynesworth, they could use another talented nose tackle. I could also see them taking a QB if a good one slips to here, but for now, Raji's the pick.

31. Philadelphia (9-6-1): Ciron Black, OT, LSU
Rationale: NOW you take the lineman. Philly's line isn't getting younger, and Black is the best player available for a team that could use him.

32. Pittsburgh (12-4): Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma
Rationale: This team's one hole is on the O-line. They may very well trade up to get a marquee tackle, but for now, Robinson is the pick. He's by far the best guard in the draft, and is easily the best lineman available at this point.

cj
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Taylor Mays is not entering the draft, announced yesterday.

Nice job on the rundown!

2low
01-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Taylor Mays is not entering the draft, announced yesterday.

Nice job on the rundown!

He gets paid way too much to leave college.

Robert Fischer
01-14-2009, 08:33 AM
i'm still saying rey m should be a good pro if no underlying physical problems

Bubbles
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
A report apparently says Bradford is going to stay at OU. My next mock draft is going to be nowhere CLOSE to what's going to happen in April; Stafford doesn't deserve to be in the top-15 and Sanchez gives off a "game manager" vibe. One of them's going to be unjustifiably rich in a few months.

cj
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Bradford is staying.

Bubbles
01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
As is Gresham.