PDA

View Full Version : World Thoroughbred Rankings

Bruddah
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Garry O'Gorman is co chairman of the World Thoroughbred Rankings. This is a quote from him on American 3yo's of 2008.

They came to this conclusion after the 2008 racing year. I said it before they ever raced in the Kentucky Derby. I said it was the worse crop of 3yo talent since before 1992. Even PA challenged me to prove my contention, which I explained how I came to my conclusion and the 3yo crop continued to prove me corect all year.

Damn it's nice to be vendicated, at the end of the year, by the experts. :lol:

It was a shocking bad year for North American 3-year-olds, even prior to the Kentucky Derby our American colleagues were saying that and it's in stark contrast to the previous season when Curlin, Hard Spun and Street Sense all stayed the distance through the season," added O'Gorman."I suppose using your crystal ball for 2009, Big Brown and Curlin have retired so the older horse category apart from Zenyatta is looking very threadbare."

PaceAdvantage
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Why is Raven's Pass, who was bred in Kentucky, not considered part of the crop of 3yos?

"The crop" only includes horses born and TRAINED in the US? Not born in the US and trained outside?

What would be the point of excluding Raven's Pass if the point is to have a "crop?"

Nmytwenties
01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I thought the 3yo's who participated in the Triple Crown this year were one of the weakest I have ever seen, though the 2007 rendition of the Crown trail was a hard one to follow. I don't think Big Brown should be downgraded because of his competition, he couldn't do anything about this, but I was one that was rooting against him at the Belmont only because I would prefer seeing the drought ended with the winner facing two or three really impressive foes during the course of the three races, you just didn't have that this past year.

CincyHorseplayer
01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Why is Raven's Pass, who was bred in Kentucky, not considered part of the crop of 3yos?

"The crop" only includes horses born and TRAINED in the US? Not born in the US and trained outside?

What would be the point of excluding Raven's Pass if the point is to have a "crop?"

You beat me to it.

Plus Zarkava was a 3yo Filly and she beat the best horses in Europe in the Arc De Triomph.And without looking it up didn't a filly she beat win a Breeder's Cup race???

The Euro 3yo's were great and I think they count too.And it may not necessarily have to do with synthetics.As a kentucky Bred Raven's Pass might just be better on dirt.

Is he going to race in 2009 PA???

sandpit
01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
And what about Henrythenavigator? Second in the BC and a four-time Group 1 winner in Europe this year. A very serious racehorse. Like Raven's Pass, he's unfortunately retired to stud this year.

Gorgeous George
01-14-2009, 06:27 AM
You beat me to it.

Plus Zarkava was a 3yo Filly and she beat the best horses in Europe in the Arc De Triomph.And without looking it up didn't a filly she beat win a Breeder's Cup race???

The Euro 3yo's were great and I think they count too.And it may not necessarily have to do with synthetics.As a kentucky Bred Raven's Pass might just be better on dirt.

Is he going to race in 2009 PA???

RAVEN'S PASS has been retired from racing, and will take up stallion duties at Kildangan Stud in Ireland in 2009. He was a very consistent horse all year and a joy to watch in the breeders cup. Another magnificent horse trained by the best this side of the atlantic.