PDA

View Full Version : lost paramutual tickets...

1st time lasix
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I had to depart a simulcast facility before the conclusion of racing at Gulfstream. I got home and checked the computer to see that i had hit the late Pick Four and the two last pick threes. My elation turned to horror. Imagine my disgust and anger when i discovered that the tickets were lost. Must have been dropped in error. Any chance that i can have the simulcast facility check their records and get remedy? Any others have any history or sucess with this approach?

DJofSD
01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Good luck with that one!

If you have a voucher with a balance on it that was used before or after the lost tickets were printed, they might be able to determine what are the numbers of the transactions that created those tickets. But proving they're yours will be another matter. Call up the location where you made the bets and tell them what happened. Ask for some help -- if you don't ask, you don't get.

(And, maybe they've got you on the video tape at the machine making those bets. Again, call them because if you wait too long all of that video information could be lost.)

Maybe, just maybe, if at the end of the meeting those tickets have not been cashed, they might award you the payouts.

Others might have better/correct information.

LottaKash
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Good luck with that one! Others might have better/correct information.

Hey 1st, I agree with DJofS, Good Luck and just suck it up, as it will mostly likely be a fruitless and futile endeavour trying to prove your case .......too bad.....But, we all have our ouch-stories, don't we ?........So, given that, all or most here, sympathize with your loss......:( ....I do....:(

best,.

startngate
01-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Every track's policy is a little different, but most will try to help if you talk to the mutuel department and ask nicely. Most tracks have a formal process set up to deal with uncashed tickets. You will probably have to start at an information window as opposed to a teller, or you may have to deal directly with the mutuel (or site) manager.

You will need to be able to tell the mutuel department what terminal/window you placed the wager, and approximately what time. If you were playing with a voucher and know how much the voucher was worth going into the bets, or know the other tickets you bet at the same time, that will help too. Even better if you still have one of those tickets, or the voucher. Also, if you were playing with a player rewards card, that makes it even easier.

Basically, you will need to provide anything and everything you can to prove you're the one who made the bets, and to help them minimize the 'search window' they are going to have to sift through to find the ticket in the tote logs. The more information you give them the better it will be for you. And don't wait. Contact them today if possible. It will be much easier on the tote guys if it's still today's business they are looking at.

And don't be surprised if it takes some time for them to do the research. It could take days or even weeks depending on the tote system, whether or not it is hubbed at the track, and what else is going on (like live racing day vs. simulcasting only). A successful result requires patience. It's not an easy task to sift through all the reports ... only marginally better than finding a needle in a haystack, especially if you don't give them much to go on.

Assuming they find the ticket, one of three things will occur.

1) They will find the ticket was already cashed ... in which case you are out of luck.
2) They will manually cash the ticket and pay you if they are confident you've given them enough reason to believe you placed the bets.
3) They will make you wait a specific period of time (x number of days, or maybe until the end of the meet, or even year) and if the ticket goes unclaimed they will then pay you.

Just pray that a 'stooper' didn't find it and cash it already ... :(

Imriledup
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
If the tickets were not tax tickets, its going to me much tougher to recover your funds.

Also, tracks hands are tied by government and state rules that if you don't have a physical ticket, the money belongs to the state. I guess every state has different laws, so you would have to research that one.

You might have some case if you tell the track that the tickets were stolen and you want to file a police report with the proper authorities.

If you were betting at a certain self service machine, you can look at your losing tickets from other races and see which terminal you made the bets from. Then, you can tell them as much info about your bets as possible.

This is very hard to prove. Maybe you have a players card with your account number on the tickets?

My advice would be to just forget about the entire thing if the amount of money isn't substantial.

If we are talking thousands of dollars, you might want to pursue this further.

The odds of you recovering any money are slim. Now, if these tickets were 'signers' you would have a much better shot to do something because the person who 'stole' the tickets would have his or her name attached to the form.

Imriledup
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
One more thing....stoopers these days are AMAZING. There's a great chance someone is on their way to Cancun with your cash already. Even floor sweepers have the 'kick the ticket' stuff down to a science.

JCB
01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Ask for the manager. If you go to a clerk, they'll direct you to the manager anyway.

Explain what happened. Give as much of the asked-for information as you can. Since your payoffs weren't common, and assuming you can tell them the time the bets were made, they can find the wagers. If they've been cashed, you're probably out of luck. If not, you might get your money back, but probably not for a while, depending on the rules and laws where you're at and at the track that the bets were made.

W2G
01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Imagine my disgust and anger when i discovered that the tickets were lost. Must have been dropped in error.

Lasix,

That's tough. Do everything that others have already advised.

It's not what you want to hear right now but going forward, don't toss any mutuel tickets when playing on track. It's not worth it. There's too many distractions and mistakes are too easy and probably unavoidable. Worst case scenario is you come home with bulging pocket of losers.

I'm just now getting around to auditing a 3-4 inch stack of supposed losing tickets I brought back from BC weekend at SA. Although I did well and cashed out, there still might be a stray winner or two in that stack.

Stoopers do not approve this message.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Did you use a player rewards card with a tracking number? That might help prove the tickets were yours.

LottaKash
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Did you use a player rewards card with a tracking number? That might help prove the tickets were yours.

Now that, would most likely do it, as it would have to be on the card........:jump:

best,

Zman179
01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I lost a voucher the other day. Albeit it is nowhere the amount that you lost FTL, and I do sincerely hope that you are able to recoup your money, but all of this boils down to one philosophy which I am going to stick with for the near future:

I'm making all of my bets either via the computer or the telephone. No worries about losing vouchers, tickets, fumbling for money and hoping to get the right change back, and no having to leave tips. The only way I'm going to make a bet with a teller is if my online/phone account has a zero balance.

1st time lasix
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I contacted the simulcast facility by email the following day. They had the paramutual mgr call me immediately. He indicated he would assist..... but like others who suggested on this thread post.....they will give the case over to the guy who represents the State. The track won't pay without their consent. On the plus side....I did have two of the seven or eight tickets purchased in my possession. I wrote my story...included copies of the two tickets and faxed the information to him. Clearly it shows the time and teller window on those two---unfortunately I went to the windows twice in that ten minute span. I understand it is an uphill battle but here's the thing....the specific part of the simulcast facility [dog track} i was in at that time was sparcely attended and i am sure i was the only one likely making Pick three.... and pick four multirace wagers. One pick four ticket was a signer.--- had it twice. The pick three was not. Worth a try...but not expecting anything. Just so darm mad at myself. Not sure i have ever been so angry and frustrated for allowing it to happen. :mad: Thx for the input.

LottaKash
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Still, 1TL, having those tickets, gives you a mighty-fighting chance, at least... I really hope it works out for you.....:jump:

best,