PDA

View Full Version : Could "Six-Pack" wagering be just around the corner?

Thomas Roulston
01-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Now that the "(Super) High Five" is spreading, sooner or later some racing jurisdiction is going to come up with the idea of establishing an exotic wager that is won by picking the first six finishers, in exact order.

And what if they offered a 1-cent minimum bet for it - and marketed it as the "One-Cent Six Pack"?

dav4463
01-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Why not just have one where you pick the exact order of finish for the entire field? How about secondary trifecta? You pick the 4th, 5th , and 6th place finishers. The possiblilities are endless.

BUD
01-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh man I I ever get some health--screw the 6 pack---I wanna wager on the case---or Keg--------Used to bust the kids parties--Take the stuff----Let the kids go with a ((stern warning)))about the next time----We would laugh-of course when we left---Next time we will take you chicks too!!--Never said it there------

Why not my Trifecta---2 outta 3 consol:bang: ----Ya I get 001. cent back---

For me--anytime I go over A an exacta---its betting----W--- and ex my stats show are ok---my .10 cent supers I hit----Umm..Lower % than I thought..:bang:

Wet tracks real low-----But hey---I am getting there---Kid steps---------The Journal---Doesn't lie------Well the one I write can---But the one built into the wagering doesn't..

DJofSD
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
The first six runners? This would be a once a week bet at Hollywood Park.

NoCal Boy
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Good thing Bay Meadows shut down as a Pick 6 in a given race would never be an option unless the race was on the grass.

The first six runners? This would be a once a week bet at Hollywood Park.

Nmytwenties
01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Years ago I remember Turfway Park promoting a "pick the last place finisher" wager. This didn't last very long but I do recall them making it available.

Tom
01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Top six in order?
That would eliminate Belmont stakes races and most of California. :rolleyes:

BUD
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Top six in order?
That would eliminate Belmont stakes races and most of California. :rolleyes:

Was there ever a rule of how many starters were needed in a race for it to go off----I think I remember a race last winter at Gulfstream having 3---

My memory is as 'bout as well as I so I maybe wrong---

Thomas Roulston
01-13-2009, 01:07 AM
One would think that the field-size requirement for the "Six Pack" would be eight betting interests.

And I'd imagine it would have a consolation/carryover format, just like the Pick Six.

Furthermore, any track offering this wager would have to make 6th place a paying position in the purse distribution (see my recent post on the "Purse Money" thread), otherwise it would be an invitation to ethical disaster.

Zman179
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
The Super High Five is spreading, but I don't see it lasting long outside of California; outside of CA the High 5 pools are absolutely anemic. On Sunday, the two pools at Tampa were $3,205 and, with a carryover, $5,934. At Turfway it was $1,966 (with a $4,000 carryover) on a race with over $250,000 handled on it. At Hawthorne on Saturday, the pool was $1,545.

The risks simply outweigh the rewards since there is no "all" provision nor a consolation and you're betting into miniscule pools. You'd simply be better off playing the superfecta for a buck.

Thomas Roulston
01-14-2009, 03:28 AM
But what's the minimum bet in these High Five pools?

I'm guessing it's $1 at most places.

Zman179
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
But what's the minimum bet in these High Five pools?

I'm guessing it's $1 at most places.

$1 at all tracks except on the Chicago harness circuit (Maywood/Balmoral) where the bet is 10 cents.

Funny thing is that the 10 cent Super High Five actually has very good pools: the Saturday and Sunday pools were both over $23,000 each; the Sunday High 5 for a dime at Balmoral paid $8923.09 for horses at 13/1, 7/2, 9/5 fav, 15/1 and 39/1 in a nine horse field.

jballscalls
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Years ago I remember Turfway Park promoting a "pick the last place finisher" wager. This didn't last very long but I do recall them making it available.

Talk about the easiest bet on earth to Fix!!

Thomas Roulston
01-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Talk about the easiest bet on earth to Fix!!

Easy to fix - yet fascinating if you think about it, since if the longest shot on the board happened to be a hard-core closer, it would almost never finish last; by contrast, a speed horse in completely over its head would come in last almost every time.

But with a $.01 minimum, Six Pack pools would be more than adequate; and, as alluded to above, you'd probably have a lot of races where some 99-1 shot with no early speed gets up for 6th and blows everyone out of the water.