PDA

View Full Version : Need more dog help...

sq764
04-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Well, our yellow lab has reached 18 months old (and managed to not be killed by me), and although he has calmed down and is a very good dog, he is doing something strange lately.

As young as 4 months old, he learned how to hit the doorknob to go out and has been doing that for over a year now. About 2 weeks ago, he started this thing where he wouldn't even hit the door, would go in front of our bedroom while we were in the living room and just poop. He's done this like 10 times in the past 2 weeks and we have no idea why.

I thought it was that we changed his food, but that was 3 months ago.

Anyone run into this scenario before?

Tom
04-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Is he part French? :eek:

sq764
04-05-2003, 12:17 PM
No way.. He gets bathed twice a week..

Boris
04-06-2003, 07:38 AM
My guess is your dog is sick, or has some kind of physical problem. They don't become unhousebroken. Call your vet and discuss it with them.

JustRalph
04-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Maybe there is something out there that scares him. I have one that just decided he didn't want to go out in the rain or whenever it was wet. I had to go out with him in the rain more than a few times to break that habit

keilan
04-06-2003, 09:56 PM
I believe it’s way past time for you to head on down to the local bookstore. Look for the dog section and there you may find the answers instead of posting here on a horse site.

I have years of experience working with dogs as I trained them for “search and rescue” finding lost kids, looking for human remains etc.

I hope you don’t take what I have written the wrong way. All I’m really saying is the dog will probably be better off if you understood more about him than trying to correct situations after they occur.

I realize this is not the answer you’re looking for but educating yourself about your pet may be the best advice anyone can provide you.

One other small piece of advice – this is not the time to lose your temper with your dog, you are probably 99% at fault in this, you just don't know that yet. Starting today calmly take your dog outside when it is time for him to relieve himself, after he is finished praise him – he really only lives to please you. Never strike him (there are other ways to correct him) and he will turn out pretty good. Good Luck

Dave Schwartz
04-06-2003, 11:09 PM
We had a similar experience with our dog, Butkus. He is 11 but still very active and happy.

We used to have another dog (Jake) as well. This other dog had always had a slightly destructive nature. When we moved into our new home a year ago, the other dog became unbearably destructive and, reluctantly, we gave him up to a better home (for him). He needed a constant companion, like an old person.

Anyway, when he went away, Butkus developed a fear of going outside. He just refused to go out at all, unless he was accompanied.

Not going out leads to lots of piles of poop on the floor, sometimes twice a day. (We wore out the carpet shampooer.)

We sought help and, logically, the "expert" suggested that he must have seen Jake go outside then suddenly disappear, never to be seen again. Not wanting that to happen to him, his simple solution was to never go outside without someone he trusted with him.

The suggested solution was to make sure that he had some outside time everyday. Someone always had to be with him or else he wouldn't go out, not even for a beef bone! So, we would give him a bone or other treats and stay with him while he chewed for awhile, then both of us would come back inside.

Then, after a week or so of doing this, we began to give him the bone, stay for a couple of minutes, then go inside but stay visible to him. The reassurance of being able to see whomever took him out and quickly coming to the door if he wanted to come back in resulted in his fears relaxing.

Now, about six months later things are completely back to normal, he prefers spending the good weather days almost entirely outside.

My point to all this is that something is driving your dog's behavior, and it might not be what you think... It could be something physical, especially if he is "doing his duty" at different times of the day than he used to. But it might be something psychological, probably something fear-based. Figure out what he is afraid of, address those fears, and you'll probably whip the problem quickly.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: And maybe Lefty might have a learned opinion on this; he is very dog-oriented. (But try not to hold that against him <G>)

Lefty
04-08-2003, 03:05 PM
No, afraid I can't add much to the great posts here. My guess would be something has frightened him. Or there's been a drastic change in his life. But all that's been said. SQ, let us know how it turns out.

GR1@HTR
04-08-2003, 03:52 PM
I've been real fortunate. My dog has only pissed twice in my place. Pissed once on the floor the 1st day I got her and a month later she pissed on my bed. I was kinda pissed about her going pee pee on my bed since dogs are not supposed to pee where they sleep...plus I'm not one much for sleeping in wet spots.

Dave Schwartz
04-08-2003, 05:56 PM
GR1,

Actaully dogs aren't supposed to pee where YOU sleep. <G>

Dave

sq764
04-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Its really weird.. He poops in the house when my wife is here, but not when I am here with her.

I guess I should never leave the house.

JustRalph
04-08-2003, 10:07 PM
What kind of relationship does your wife have with the dog.

Dr. Phil.......where are you?