PDA

View Full Version : Bush still Cleaning up after Clinton; Justice delayed

JustRalph
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
With only 20 days to go in his Presidency, G.W. Bush is still cleaning up after Bill Clinton when it comes to Terrorism.

On New Years Day 2009 the CIA exacted some justice against the masterminds of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_United_States_embassy_bombings)

These were the bombings where Bill Clinton responded by going on National TV (prior to the attacks :bang: ) and told the world that he was going to strike back against a Pharma plant in the Sudan. The Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory was shortly thereafter destroyed. Clinton claimed that after an investigation chemical weapons were being produced in the plant. A thorough investigation after the missile strikes revealed that the intelligence was unreliable and no WMD's were being produced. Sound familiar?

From Hot Air: (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/01/09/justice-reaches-1998-embassy-bombers/)

The FBI scratched two of its Most Wanted terrorists off its list on New Years Day, courtesy of the CIA. Fahid Mohammed Ali Msalam and Sheikh Ahmed Salem Swedan, the al-Qaeda leaders indicted for the two 1998 embassy bombings in Tanzania and Kenya, reached room temperature after an air strike by the intelligence agency killed the pair in Pakistan:

Two top al Qaeda officials are believed dead following a New Year’s Day drone attack in northern Pakistan, ABC News has confirmed. U.S. officials said Fahid Mohammed Ali Msalam and Sheikh Ahmed Salem Swedan, both on the FBI’s most wanted terrorists list, were killed in the CIA strike.

Msalam, who also went by the alias Usama al-Kini, and Swedan were both from Kenya and were indicted in the Aug. 7, 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya and for conspiring to kill U.S. citizens. …
John Kiriakou, a former CIA officer and ABC News consultant, described Msalam as “probably the single most prominent African member of al Qaeda” and a leader who known as a “logistics whiz.”
“He was very important in al Qaeda’s ability to coordinate and plan very complicated terrorist operations,” said Kiriakou, adding that the U.S. government had been looking for him “for a very long time.”
FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said in statement late Thursday that Msalam was believed to be the operations chief for al Qaeda in Pakistan. While he could not confirm Msalam’s alleged involvement in the September 2008 attack on the Marriott hotel in Islamabad, he said U.S. offficials reported Msalam was involved in attacks in Pakistan over the last year.

These two didn’t stay on the sidelines or rest on their poisonous laurels after the embassy bombings. They moved up to positions of power in AQ and conducted more attacks. It’s interesting to note, though, that their world shrunk considerably after 9/11. They moved from Africa to Pakistan and kept the scope of their operations within that nation. It could be that they wanted to move to the “home office”, as it were, but it appears more that they could not operate much outside of Pakistan and had to make the best of it.
Now they can’t operate at all, and AQ has even less resources to mount full-scale terrorist attacks outside of their shrinking world. Ayman al-Zawahiri issued a statement after the attack (but before it became public knowledge) that AQ would ensure that America doesn’t live in peace until Palestine is free of crusaders, but right now he has to be more worried about the CIA’s accuracy. People are talking, and AQ’s top ranks are dropping like flies.

Maybe the next bomb will find Zawahiri himself, or his psychopathic boss. We can only hope.

~end Hot Air Quotes~

There are still almost two weeks left for Bush to kill these bastards........I wish him luck! I feel the climate around these guys will change in two weeks..........let's hope they will still worry when they walk outside their hiding places anywhere in the world. I am hesitant to condemn Obama in advance........... but I have little confidence in him continuing to pursue these types.

Tom
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
His pick to head CIA indicates to me the war on terror is over.

BTW, speaking of terror and wars, has Ding Harry suggested we surrender in Gaza yet?

mostpost
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Quote from Just Ralph With only 20 days to go in his Presidency, G.W. Bush is still cleaning up after Bill Clinton when it comes to Terrorism.

On New Years Day 2009 the CIA exacted some justice against the masterminds of the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_United_States_embassy_bombings)
Your own link disputes your theory. 21 men were indicted in these bombings.
Of those 4 were convicted in 2001. They were convicted in May and sentenced in October. Since a trial and the leadup to a trial can take several months they were undoubtedly captured and the accumulation of evidence done during the Clinton Admin. Three others have been held in the UK since '98 or '99. Again during Clinton's term. (We don't know how much US intel or forces contributed to this). One has been held at Guantanamo since '98. Total of eight brought to Justice during the Clinton Presidency.
Of the remaining 13, one was arrested in 2004 and is being held a Guantanamo, one was killed in 2006 and the two referenced in your post were killed in 2009. An additional terrorist was killed in Afghan in 2001. A date wasn't given but I'm feeling generous so I'll give it to Bush Total brought to Justice during the Bush Presidency FIVE. Six are still at large and the staus of two is unknown.
To imply that Clinton did nothing about these attacks is disingenous at best. Eight people were brought to justice as a result of work done during the approximately two years remaining in his term. Meanwhile, five were killed or captured in the next eight years.
A final comment about the bombing of the drug factory in Sudan. It was later said that the intel was faulty. Not the last time the US did something based on faulty intel. The difference being that Bush/Cheney promulgated the faulty Intel, knew it was faulty and acted anyway.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas..Oops I mean Holiday Season!;)