PDA

View Full Version : Anyone every played any racing video games??

Nmytwenties
01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Not sure how many on here ever play video games but I was wondering who had ever seen and or played the few that are out there.

I just picked up the NTRA World Thoroughbred Championship game that came out a few years back. Its ok but not nearly as good as the Gallop Racer series of which I have the first Playstation issue, which is pretty tough to find. The cool aspect of the NTRA game is that you can wager on the races but the cool aspect is quickly tempered by the fact that the horses never seem to finish in accordance with their past performaces or speed ratings, it is a real crapshoot that makes the real game look easy as pie in comparison.

Its kinda neat that real tracks are featured by name in the NTRA game, which is unique to only this game I believe. It appears that they feature a few "fictional" tracks they feature are modeled after actual tracks such as Dunes which seems to resemble Turf Paridise a bit.

There is another series out called the Melbourne Cup but I am not sure if that is available in the US.

BUD
01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
My Kid plays the one on lineThat Fantasy Horse racing Game----I just try to help her out with strategy---But when my youngest is here too---She just puts me to shame--So I let her dictate the strategy---I think she was born for this game.

ralph_the_cat
01-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I played a gallop racer for Playstation 2 at a new years party maybe 3 or 4 years ago... I dont know if it was because I had a nice buzz going or what, but I thought it was pretty dam cool, debated actually getting it... but never did... Im nearly positive it was for PS 2 and called Gallop racer because I recall writing the name down... he said $200 plus the game was $50 or so... so I think that would be PS 2 right.?... he had another horse racing video game there, but he said it sucked... may have been the NTRA game you are talking about...

ryesteve
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I played around with Gallop Racer, and it's fun to tinker with, but the idea of spending months or even years in a videogame breeding generation upon generation of fictional horses (like some fanatics do) seemed like an odd use of my time when I could be doing work on real races instead.

PaceAdvantage
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
The best racing game for the playstation is G1 Jockey 3, if you can find it....

After some surfing, it appears they are up to version 4, but that was only released overseas....also there is talk of a Wii version (which would probably be awesome), but either it hasn't been released yet, or again, it's not available in the U.S.

Here's the link to the only version available on Amazon...it's pricey, but that's because it's difficult to find nowadays....it's over 5 years old...

http://www.amazon.com/G1-Jockey-3-Playstation-2/dp/B00009B05Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1231456840&sr=8-1

Robert Fischer
01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
There is another series out called the Melbourne Cup but I am not sure if that is available in the US.

I have Melbourne Cup for pc. Somewhat entertaining and my kid likes it. The game doesn't translate from a whole lot of real world strategy and factors. The goal is basically limited to following your horse's generic running style as closely as possible throughout the race to conserve energy. There may be some copies floating around on mininova.org.