PDA

View Full Version : Mud Caulks at NYRA

aaron
01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Has anybody noticed any trends at NYRA for trainers who used mud caulks and are not able to use them now. I believe and this is just my observation,but Bruce Levine's horses who ran with caulks and are now not not using caulks seem to be winning at a reduced rate.

Norm
01-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Seems to me that the mud calk ban is having a significant effect on how the races are playing. The old, reliable patterns aren't there this year. It's been chaotic at AQU so far this meet.

JWBurnie
01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I thought the shoe of choice on AQU's inner was the quarter bend, no longer the case?

slewis
01-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Has anybody noticed any trends at NYRA for trainers who used mud caulks and are not able to use them now. I believe and this is just my observation,but Bruce Levine's horses who ran with caulks and are now not not using caulks seem to be winning at a reduced rate.

Your absolutely correct.. All the trainers who are regular users of mud calks percentages are down with the exception of McLaughlin who, in my opinion, has the luxury of racing superior stock against inferior winter horses.

Hushion
Levine
Contessa
Galluscio
Zito

Tom
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I read that Turfway was going to re-allow hind leg bends due to a rash of injuries?

Is this a safety thing that NYRA might have to address soon?

jeebus1083
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM
The inner track is a powdery, slippery surface in cold weather, as the track cannot be watered at freezing temperatures. Caulks provided horses better traction to navigate this odd surface and tight configuration. For many years, cheap horses with the shoes could outrun a classier horse not wearing caulks, because the better horse was not getting his footing on the inner. This is why Contessa and Levine would post gaudy numbers in the winter, as they were able to get both their cheap and better stock to run their A-race over the surface. Without caulks, the horses that ran A-races last year are having a harder time. The caulk ban has leveled the playing field on the inner, but has completely changed the status quo of winter racing.

Bobzilla
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Seems to me that the mud calk ban is having a significant effect on how the races are playing. The old, reliable patterns aren't there this year. It's been chaotic at AQU so far this meet.

No doubt about it Norm, during the current Inner meet I've been seeing horses win with trips that would have been disadvantageous in prior years. More specifically, Quality Rail Time doesn't appear to be as urgent as in past years. Something else is the absense of the conveyor belt assistance to cheap speed. I'm not complaining and will make the adjustments. I'm curious if this is due to track maintenance practices, different shoeing practices, or a combination of the two.

Because of the Inner's design there will always be geometric related stresses particularly felt by horses in lesser conditions, less experienced and younger horses or those possessing less talent who might become discouraged easier; but the effect, or angle to a player, isn't nearly as prevelent this year as in recent years, at least in my opinion.

Bobzilla
01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
The inner track is a powdery, slippery surface in cold weather, as the track cannot be watered at freezing temperatures. Caulks provided horses better traction to navigate this odd surface and tight configuration. For many years, cheap horses with the shoes could outrun a classier horse not wearing caulks, because the better horse was not getting his footing on the inner. This is why Contessa and Levine would post gaudy numbers in the winter, as they were able to get both their cheap and better stock to run their A-race over the surface. Without caulks, the horses that ran A-races last year are having a harder time. The caulk ban has leveled the playing field on the inner, but has completely changed the status quo of winter racing.

Interesting and informative post. As I attempt to do my own numbers I've noticed a disproportinate number of days with what I've considered higher than par variants. I've been wondering how much of this is the surface and how much can be attributed to the shoe changes.

slewis
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I read that Turfway was going to re-allow hind leg bends due to a rash of injuries?

Is this a safety thing that NYRA might have to address soon?

Tom,

You currently ARE permitted to race at all NYRA tracks using quarter inch bends on rear shoes.
This shoe used behind (in 99% of cases) has a "toe grab" on the front of the shoe, with the back of the shoe actually "bent" (with a hammer) by the blacksmith prior to being nailed on.

slewis
01-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Please dont describe the inner track surface as "slippery". That's ridiculous and gives an impression to the avg. fan that the racetrack is like a skating rink and that horses are being put in danger.
The fact is that the track has chemicals in it to keep from freezing. It's safe and considering the quality of horses racing on it, holds up to it's end of providing a good surface for horses to run this time of year.
Because of the tight configuration of the turns, horses cant handle them as well without calks. They also dont grip on straight runs as well and horses tire more easily. This is what "traction" is about. I've owned racehorses, I want them to have as much traction as possible, the same way the owners of the NY Giants want Brandon Jacobs to have the best possible traction. With traction, they perfrom their best and more importantly (where NYRA drops the ball) they PREVENT INJURY (just like the football player who can cut and turn with confidence).
THIS IS WHY THE TURFWAY PEOPLE JUST CHANGED A RIDICULOUS SHOE RULE ON POLYTRACK.
Since ALL trainers can use mud calks... (just like all football and baseball players wear spikes).. no one has an "edge" that isn't afforded to all.
On previous posts, I've statistically posted that mud calks at NYRA tracks pose NO GREATER risk of injury then any other shoe and actually, they are statistcally safer.
This is another example of how the powers that be in our society, the guys that "pay" their way to the top, implement rules without doing research to back it up to suit their program and agenda.

aaron
01-09-2009, 09:47 AM
It is my opinion that the reason the inner track has played more honest this year is the new track superintendent. The last 2 years,in my opinion had a constant inside bias, which I have nor witnessed this year.

jeebus1083
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM
This was from a few years ago, but it stll holds true today:
http://www.fullcardreports.com/CAP/aqu_inner.asp

Long the subject of race track myth, the Aqueduct inner track does not have heating coils underneath nor is it laced with anti-freeze chemicals. A stable base is what makes the track usable through the winter months. At first a clay base was tried with salt mixed in, but after a few years the salt worked its way out and became an irritant to the legs of some horses, especially when wet. The present formula consists of the following layers, top to bottom: 3 3/4-inches to 4 inches of sandy loam cushion; 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch clay silt sand pad; 8-inch limestone screening base; sand for drainage; and, finally, natural soil.

Please dont describe the inner track surface as "slippery". That's ridiculous and gives an impression to the avg. fan that the racetrack is like a skating rink and that horses are being put in danger.
The fact is that the track has chemicals in it to keep from freezing. It's safe and considering the quality of horses racing on it, holds up to it's end of providing a good surface for horses to run this time of year.
Because of the tight configuration of the turns, horses cant handle them as well without calks. They also dont grip on straight runs as well and horses tire more easily. This is what "traction" is about. I've owned racehorses, I want them to have as much traction as possible, the same way the owners of the NY Giants want Brandon Jacobs to have the best possible traction. With traction, they perfrom their best and more importantly (where NYRA drops the ball) they PREVENT INJURY (just like the football player who can cut and turn with confidence).
THIS IS WHY THE TURFWAY PEOPLE JUST CHANGED A RIDICULOUS SHOE RULE ON POLYTRACK.
Since ALL trainers can use mud calks... (just like all football and baseball players wear spikes).. no one has an "edge" that isn't afforded to all.
On previous posts, I've statistically posted that mud calks at NYRA tracks pose NO GREATER risk of injury then any other shoe and actually, they are statistcally safer.
This is another example of how the powers that be in our society, the guys that "pay" their way to the top, implement rules without doing research to back it up to suit their program and agenda.

HUSKER55
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
What exactly do they mean when they say "the track has been sealed"?

Thanks

Stevie Belmont
01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Sealed is when it is packed it down. Usually on a sloppy or muddy track. Water does not absorb as much..runs off

slewis
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
This was from a few years ago, but it stll holds true today:
http://www.fullcardreports.com/CAP/aqu_inner.asp

Long the subject of race track myth, the Aqueduct inner track does not have heating coils underneath nor is it laced with anti-freeze chemicals. A stable base is what makes the track usable through the winter months. At first a clay base was tried with salt mixed in, but after a few years the salt worked its way out and became an irritant to the legs of some horses, especially when wet. The present formula consists of the following layers, top to bottom: 3 3/4-inches to 4 inches of sandy loam cushion; 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch clay silt sand pad; 8-inch limestone screening base; sand for drainage; and, finally, natural soil.

Years ago I asked what keeps the track from freezing when moisture was inside and temperatures dropped. I was told by the track super at that time that there were "chemicals" (meaning salt-type emulsifiers) were mixed in.
I never bothered to get an update on current maintenance techniques, therefore, I stand corrected and apologize.
I'm still curious now what keeps the track from freezing up when we get moisture/snow/rain and the temps drop.
Regardless, the track works for winter racing.

Thanks for the post.

Norm
01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm curious if this is due to track maintenance practices, different shoeing practices, or a combination of the two.
I think you have it right. It's the track as much as the shoes. I stopped playing after the second day of the meet with red-light warnings flashing around many aspects of handicapping. It's starting to play like Philly Park. Too bad, I was looking forward to this meet.

jeebus1083
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
If Aqueduct runs tomorrow, look for the track to play like a paved highway. That surface has got to be frozen solid with this cold snap that we've experienced in the Northeast.