PDA

View Full Version : what brought you into the game!

hoovesupsideyourhe
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
just wondering why all of you have made this sport your hobby,work,game of choice. did you have a mentor.or learn the hard way..was there a point where you hit a big one and got hooked.did the puzzle of handicapping lure you.or just like the game as a whole ..love the athletes/owner visit to the track as a kid..what..

DJofSD
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Handicapping and wagering on horses is more profitable than solving crossword puzzles.

Overlay
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
The mental exercise/challenge of it, plus the possibility of achieving consistent profit through skill (in contrast to luck-based, negative-expectation wagering games).

classhandicapper
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I was always attracted to gambling, but the combination of gambling entertainment, intellectual challenge, and money won being twice as sweet as money earned is a tough combination for me to overcome. :lol:

2low
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I enjoy games where money flows from the people who do it casually for fun to those who take the time and effort to learn to win. Certainly not a given with horse racing, but possible.

I like puzzles and strategy games.

I wanted a good excuse to kick up my excel skills and learn a bit about programming software. I'm slowly working towards building a handicapping blackish box - two birds with one stone I guess you could say.

In the end, I suppose I enjoy trying to figure out how to consistently win more than I enjoy actually watching the horsies run around the track, although I like that part of it too.

BombsAway Bob
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
My Grandfather owned horses. They ran in New England & New York, so by the age of four I was listening to AM Radio with him for racecalls & results. Then We'd go to the Fitchburg Bus Station newsstand for the next days' Telegraph & the five-star Evening edition of the Boston Record-American(and a candy bar or two...I didn't travel cheap).
By Five, I was making selections from the R-A's graded entry sheet, & calculating $2WPS Mythical wager results that my parents & I had made the day before, to determine the best handicapper in the family!;)

formula_2002
01-06-2009, 06:37 PM
just wondering why all of you have made this sport your hobby,work,game of choice. did you have a mentor.or learn the hard way..was there a point where you hit a big one and got hooked.did the puzzle of handicapping lure you.or just like the game as a whole ..love the athletes/owner visit to the track as a kid..what..

genes!!!

scgmhawk
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
My father was an owner from about 1979 - 1995, so I was exposed to the sport that way. Went to Belmont, Aqueduct, Monmouth, Meadowlands, and Arlington Park to watch the races, along with visiting some farms in KY when he had a few broodmares. I like the intellectual challenge in addition to the gambling, of course :). Plus, I can't throw a jockey like I throw the occasional golf club so it's probably safer!

hoovesupsideyourhe
01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
myself, i got into the sport in high school.in the midwest arlington park /hawthorne/ sportsmans. used to know some people who were owners. got out of it wile in the military.then when i returned i went back. love the puzzle and all parts of the game.my kids have been to arlington.churchill keeneland.. i hope those memorys keep the next generation of people coming to the sport..

Grits
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
One horse. One race mare and her trainer/exercise rider, one morning, on the apron at Keeneland.

Beautiful Pleasure and Donna Ward.

And I'm grateful, still, to both of them.

All the races, all the travel, all the handicapping, the money spent, the time involved, etc, etc, the sport still holds me. Even, with all its flaws.

Tennis, golf, and the Country Clubs that go with them--they can keep 'em.

Let me watch horses saddled, and run.

whyhorseofcourse
01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
IMHO its the most social out of any gambling type.
Used to go with my parents when I was young. Seemed like everybody knew everybody.

turfnsport
01-07-2009, 12:25 AM
chicks :ThmbUp:

dav4463
01-07-2009, 12:27 AM
I loved watching horseracing on TV as a kid. They had a show where they showed old races and you could pick the winners and win prizes. "Day at the Races" maybe? I also watched the big races that were on TV and I just liked the sport.

joelouis
01-07-2009, 03:16 AM
A brain freeze, thank God I thawed out.

joelouis
01-07-2009, 03:17 AM

chicks ha ha you have to be kidding.

joelouis
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Actually my Dad played the horses, I remembere listening to the race results on the radio, Harry Henson did the races at santa anita, we used to sit around the dinner table my sis, mom and dad and my sis and I would pick the names then we would have dinner. while we tried to out pick each other. Well he finally stopped when he was 50 + and I keep playing until this last year. I have finally seen the light. Good luck to you all. It is a different game and is not fun anymore.

citygoat
01-07-2009, 06:33 AM
I saw Majestic Prince in the post parade of the Derby and have been a pari-mutuel contributor ever since.

raybo
01-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Summer of 1978

A co-worker was reading the Racing Form while on lunch break. I asked some questions, he answered them, explained what all the numbers in the pps meant and then explained what the odds meant. From that first day I realized that the game was beatable.

The friend became my mentor and handicapping/wagering partner and remains so to this day. He never made more than $15 per hour his whole working life but managed to retire at the age of 50, due to his knowledge of the stock market and horse racing. He hasn't worked a "real" job since 1998. The most intelligent human being I have ever met, and combines that intelligence with much common sense, a rare combination.

When the TI-99 computer came out I bought one, when the Tandy ColorTrack (?) computer came out, he bought one. We were able to "print" the code for a handicapping program he had bought and that's what got me interested in writing my own program, it's been evolving since then.

JustRalph
01-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Summer of 1978

A co-worker was reading the Racing Form while on lunch break. I asked some questions, he answered them, explained what all the numbers in the pps meant and then explained what the odds meant. From that first day I realized that the game was beatable.

Everything after the above was required to answer what part of the question..............

raybo
01-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Everything after the above was required to answer what part of the question..............

Had I not talked to that co-worker and gotten the basic information concerning the "numbers" and the odds, I would have not gotten interested in studying the game.

Had I not gotten interested in programming the "numbers" into a computer for number crunching I wouldn't have been able to do the research into the mathematics and "go-no go logic" portion of the game nearly as quickly.

Without his stock market strategy/horse race wagering experience I would have gone down the same road most others do regarding the "gambling" portion of the sport. I bypassed the "gambling" portion and jumped directly into the "investment/risk/reward" philosophy that became the cornerstone of my method.

Sea Biscuit
01-07-2009, 11:28 AM

I take it you mean Fillies.

SB

dvlander
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Being kind of a numbers guy, I stumbled on to William Scott's book Investing at the Racetrack at the book store. As many ideologies do, it worked short-term before the bottom fell out. Nonetheless, that is what peaked my interest in the game.

Dale

PaceAdvantage
01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
A friend and a trip to old Roosevelt Raceway

Hajck Hillstrom
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
The realization that there can be a tremendous return with a relative minimal risk if you are willing to commit to an analysis and understand that there are several perspectives to the game that have legitimate merit.

Some are mathematically inclined... plenty in the game for them. Others are problem solvers.... perfect, while others are more in tuned to the equine conformation and genealogy. There is something in the game for everyone .....now if we can just get those that market the product to communicate that.

The only problem lies in the work ethic of the upcoming generations it requires to succeed at it.

BUD
01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow--My story is a unique one---I think I beat it to death here tho----

In Short---I am a "cop" Disabled--Injured on duty pretty severely--Did not take to my reduced lifestyle well at all---Then Found Horse Racing on TV---After some time--And listening to a Nick Zito interview---I decide to give it a shot---It was more work just finding the DRF in Worcester----Then Learning how to do this game----Then I got Real sick---Ended up with MS to pile onto my woes------Was looking at the barrel of my weapon---I was too sick even to think about playing---Then I sucked it up----Had the wife get me the Form again-----Been Blessed by some great folks who have helped me along the way-------

Actually regained quality of my days----Something to look forward to----The edge of the competition---And the Beauty of the animals--------

This isn't just a hobby nor just a game to me---It saved my life---its so much more---Short version:D

Sorry--I know I am beating this story to pieces---

My bad tho--I do love to tell it-----Shhhht it saved my life and sanity!!

riskman
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
My Dad and his summer vacations at Saratoga Lake. Fishing, swimming in the morning, the racetrack in the afternoon. We did this for nine years straight until my mother became ill.

salty
01-07-2009, 11:47 PM
My mom's family lives around queensbury so we went to Saratoga once every summer since i was around 8 or 9. I would pick some horses based on my analysis of the pinksheets and my mom or dad would place my bets for me. of course I was limited to $2 per race and maybe $4 to box an exacta once or twice. I remember winning about $100 or more for a few years. I don't remember how i used the pinksheets to bet but I wish I did. Always looked forward to that one day a year I had the chance to win something. Now i am 20 and this past summer I decided to take a trip up to the track for a few days at the begining of the meet. I met a whole bunch of different people and had a blast. Now I go to the simulcast about once a week. :ThmbUp:

-salty

how cliche
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
New Years Day 1999...Wife drags my hungover butt out to Golden Gate Fields...I'm 29 and already love gambling...I just returned from a trip to San Diego...I only have $30...I flip through the program...Look at these cool names...We go to the paddock...Look at these little men in their flashy clothes...Wow this horse here has my name in his...Check it out he has San Diego in it too...What does lasix mean...What does claiming mean...I should bet it all on this one...What do you think doll...OK...Oh my gawd he's winning...Oh my gawd he won...Is he really 15 to 1...Where do you get that...I jump up and down...I throw my arms skyward...

"This is the greatest game in the world!"

I mean it.

LottaKash
01-08-2009, 02:15 AM
A friend and a trip to old Roosevelt Raceway

Mike, a similar circumstance, around 1963, reluctantly' went to Yonkers Raceway with a bunch of hard core railbirds, then bet and won big time, I was hooked from then on....after that couldn't get enough of it....Back then it was wall to wall bettors and race fans, and getting a seat was pretty special....What an exciting place to be on the weekends, lots of beer and lots of yelling my number out.....Different by a mile these days.........Still love it tho........

best,

dav4463
01-08-2009, 03:19 AM
chicks ha ha you have to be kidding.

I guess you haven't been to Lone Star Park's Friday night "Party at the Park" !

It's like wall to wall strippers with racing forms!

gm10
01-08-2009, 08:33 AM
got an IT job for a racing research company
was never disinterested in it, but was not exactly hooked either
then Bettertalknow won the Breeders Cup and I have spent about 80% of my awake time thinking about racing since that day

Cangamble
01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
My parents. My parents started taking me to the track since I can remember, which is sometimes in the middle 60's. I'm not sure how old I was when I first went to the track. It was at the most 4, but I was probably there as an infant.
My father was a $2 bettor, ok $4 bettor (to win), there was only one daily double and one or two exactors back then.
My mother was a $60-60 bettor on average.
The thing is my father had his own speed figures when just about nobody else had them. He actually had a advantage back then. Friends of his were following his selections, and they weren't ruining the odds much I guess.
I used to go with him every Saturday. Whenever he cashed, he would let me have the change. I remember staring at the tote board hoping for a horse to pay something.90
Should have kept the money (because it was silver coins) instead of buying sports magazines and sports cards (actually, I should have just kept all the sports cards....I do have quite a few from the early 70's still).
My great uncle ran the Racing Form concession at the track, and by the time I was 12, I was selling racing forms at Woodbine and Greenwood.
Sold forms the day Secretariat made his last race appearance, and watched the race in the dining room with my mother.

Gallop58
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Grew up on a horse farm, but not particularly interested in racing until I grew up and was looking for something to do on the farm for myself.
I suspect a seed was planted very early as a few years ago, I childhood memory poked its head out of the fog. I remembered a game I had when I was young. It was a set of LP records with multiple tracks that had "random" outcomes to each race. It had money, forms, etc. I now recall, playing with the little piles of fake money, not understanding the odds, but liking the game. I probably played with it for only one summer, but I'm pretty sure it planted an important seed.
30+ years later I found the same game on ebay and had plans to digitize them and create a little computer game out of it for myself, but I think I'll stick to the LPs and the record player for when I get my kids playing it in a couple of years.
"They're at the Post" 1975 by Maas Marketing. Features 4 record albums with calls by Daryl Wells.)
http://www.horse-races.net/derbyglass/games.html

Cangamble
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Grew up on a horse farm, but not particularly interested in racing until I grew up and was looking for something to do on the farm for myself.
I suspect a seed was planted very early as a few years ago, I childhood memory poked its head out of the fog. I remembered a game I had when I was young. It was a set of LP records with multiple tracks that had "random" outcomes to each race. It had money, forms, etc. I now recall, playing with the little piles of fake money, not understanding the odds, but liking the game. I probably played with it for only one summer, but I'm pretty sure it planted an important seed.
30+ years later I found the same game on ebay and had plans to digitize them and create a little computer game out of it for myself, but I think I'll stick to the LPs and the record player for when I get my kids playing it in a couple of years.
"They're at the Post" 1975 by Maas Marketing. Features 4 record albums with calls by Daryl Wells.)
http://www.horse-races.net/derbyglass/games.html
I had that game too:)

MIplayer
01-08-2009, 07:43 PM
The 1996 Derby. I approached the race with one of the most sophisticated handicapping strategies...I liked the name. I've been doomed ever since. It's funny how you can only pick winners by name when you don't know a thing about racing. As soon as you begin to try and read PP's the racing gods revoke your "name" license.

raybo
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
The 1996 Derby. I approached the race with one of the most sophisticated handicapping strategies...I liked the name. I've been doomed ever since. It's funny how you can only pick winners by name when you don't know a thing about racing. As soon as you begin to try and read PP's the racing gods revoke your "name" license.

So true. They also revoke your "horse color", "horse number", and "jockey silks" licenses! :lol:

Track Collector
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
A friend invited me to the races one summer evening in the early 1980's. He talked me in to a $5 win wager on a particular horse who won. I went home a winner, and thus I was "hooked". I also found the racing form to be an interesting numbers puzzle that begged to be solved. What has kept me in the game all these years........that's another story.:)

Hoofless_Wonder
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Summer 1984, Friday Night.

Strolling through Aroostook County Fair, Presque Isle, ME.
Harness horses, cardboard tickets, $5 and $2 Win windows, $2 Place and Show windows, Cash at different Window.
Picked a program up off the ground - "Wow! Look at all these numbers!"
Very bad and slow racing.
Gods of racing, as usual, allow first time player to win ($20)
Transferred to Scott AFB to be closer to a track (Fairmount) in 1985, and have loved the game ever since......

Bubba X
01-09-2009, 12:18 PM
"There once was a horse named Kelso. But just once."
-Joe Hirsch

BombsAway Bob
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
-Joe Hirsch
RIP

rusrious
01-10-2009, 11:02 AM

In Short---I am a "cop" Disabled--Injured on duty pretty severely--Did not take to my reduced lifestyle well at all---Then Found Horse Racing on TV---After some time--And listening to a Nick Zito interview---I decide to give it a shot---It was more work just finding the DRF in Worcester----Then Learning how to do this game----Then I got Real sick---Ended up with MS to pile onto my woes------Was looking at the barrel of my weapon---I was too sick even to think about playing---Then I sucked it up----Had the wife get me the Form again-----Been Blessed by some great folks who have helped me along the way-------

Actually regained quality of my days----Something to look forward to----The edge of the competition---And the Beauty of the animals--------

This isn't just a hobby nor just a game to me---It saved my life---its so much more---Short version:D

Awesome story, Keep on keepin on bro,

Myself, Well, I have to say my grandfather. He was a quiet man, a widdler type, that kept to himself, but very influential in my life. I seemed to be the only one he entertained with his ideas and personal adventures and experiances. When I was 4 years old, my grandfather used to go to a corner store in my home town(Erie PA ) called "Country Fair". He would buy scratch tickets, that you would follow a live race on TV every night it seemed. And if your horse won, you win, and you collect from the store.

There has to be someone here in the forum that knows what Im talking about.. This was happening around the 1980's, and Im almost sure it was being ran from Erie Meadowlands I think, cant recall.. Come to think of it, I think it might have only been on Saturdays nights, or maybe even the weekend, its vague.

But anyways, my Grandfather told me, " remember this, you can make alot of money in horse racing"... He always started his sentances with< " remember this",lol. But I always remembered everything he told me, even at 4 years old, i was intregued by this mans thoughts.

So thru the years, I got good at math, simple math anyways, lol.. I just always liked messin with numbers and evaluations of situations. I grew up always wondering how things worked, and taking them apart and all that stuff.. Never put stuff back together again tho, lol.. All my stuff was broken and in pieces, seriously. But I gained knowledge in the long run..

So, the last 15 years, off and on, I messed around with the horses. Never really lost a bunch of money, did alot of paper betting. And at this point, I can honestly say, over the long run, im well ahead. In my life time, I probably wagered $300 in real money, with a return of around $1,400..

I can remember times when I would work an angle endlessly on paper, then go to the track for a few races and test them out, and win. Walking out up $100 was a norm for me. I always figured, if I can make $100 a day, thats nice money. So when I hit $100, I left.. Sometimes only took 3-4 races..

But, I never really go back to back days. I would just pop in every now and then, when I was in the mood to handicap again. With me, the need to play the horses comes in spurts. I'll do it for a few weeks, then take a few months off. Probably just getting burnt out from the numbers, and brain working to much,lol, Im serious tho...

Then, when I come back, Im all ready and fresh again, and learn something entirely new, and put it all together.

I dont like working for anyone. Because I feel its important to get paid, by your worth. When I did work, I gave 200%, but not paided to my effort, and it disgusted me. To have a person bossing me around, that isnt on my level, is just not my cup of tea. So, I work for myself, I controll my income, my destiny, my future. Not some pion that is grossly influenced by his position on the floor of managment. If I can run circles around you, your not going to have the upper hand on me.

With horse racing and handicapping, there is a winner, every race. The outcome is always the same. The first 3 horses have a chance to put money in your pocket. There is a small number of folks that can profit greatly, so why cant I be in that field? I strong agree that practice makes perfect, and you must learn from your mistakes, and know the solution to them.

To me, the horse track can become an ATM. You figure out where the money is, then you get your ticket, and walk out with cold, hard, instant, spendable cash in your pocket. Where else can you do this, legally? What job can you go to, and have a few beers, BS with like minded individuals, and make money? Yeah, its fun, its a good time.. But in the end, 97% that go, are there to make postive income. Right? We're there to put money in our pockets. Bottom line..

I have come to the conclusion, this is my destiny. This is where Im sopposed to be. Everything I have learned to this point, will greatly enhance my ability to cash in.

Job loss is at a all time high. 683,000 lost their jobs LAST MONTH. No one is going to yank me from my chair at the track. Thats why its releavite to make this my career. Treat it as a business, because in the end, its all about the money managment, the money invested, and the money recieved.

Why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on college, waisted time, 50% of the time, and come out empty handed. My wife just graduated college, after 6 years, and cant find a job. But now, we have a $375 a month school bill, LOL, and NOTHING to show for it.. At this present time, horse racing is all we got. And I feel Im setup to succedd in it. I have all the tools to make this work, and its now my mission to make it work.

I will succedd.. Besides, whats my options at this time?

Well, sorry for the ramblin, I feel I needed to write this, because it refreshed my thoughts and path to financial freedom, my bailout if you will,LOL..

Great luck folks, be safe..

FantasticDan
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I was listening to ESPN Radio before the Kentucky Derby in 2003 when Dan "The Duke" Davis came on to do one of his news updates. During the course of a blurb on the Derby, he mentioned really liking the way Funny Cide was coming into the race.

I'd always enjoyed watching horse racing on TV from time to time, but had never made a single bet. Armed with my tip from the Duke, I walked for the first time into my OTB on KD day and plunked down $20W on Funny Cide.

When he came home and we'd won, my wife and I were jumping up and down like we'd just won Mega Millions.. :D

And since then, I've probably spent about $5K at the track and OTB. And won about another $280.. :lol: :bang:

onefast99
01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
The promise from a young and upcoming trainer who seemed like he was trustworthy and would help us get horses thru private purchases or claimers. After 4 years of that BS we finally realized we paid for his new home and assorted other goodies he had to have. Now we have an honest trainer who has looked out for us, not having us claim every horse on the track and actually isnt a sponge. Thats what got us into the game, and what keeps us here is the fact it is really a lot of fun now!

maryforney
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
The beautiful horses, followed by the thrill of winning a bet on one of them.

LIH
01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
What CanoneroII started in 1971, Secretariat sealed the deal two years later, and I was hooked forever.

raybo
01-12-2009, 07:45 AM
What CanoneroII started in 1971, Secretariat sealed the deal two years later, and I was hooked forever.

Yeah, I must admit, Secretariat got my attention way before I actually started following the game about 5 years later.

joanied
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
One horse. One race mare and her trainer/exercise rider, one morning, on the apron at Keeneland.

Beautiful Pleasure and Donna Ward.

And I'm grateful, still, to both of them.

All the races, all the travel, all the handicapping, the money spent, the time involved, etc, etc, the sport still holds me. Even, with all its flaws.

Tennis, golf, and the Country Clubs that go with them--they can keep 'em.

Let me watch horses saddled, and run.

I adored Beautiful Pleasure...what a great race mare and the fact she's part of Foolish Pleasure's legacy...Grits, do you know how she is doing these days? Who she is in foal to for her '09 baby...how her offspring are doing?
Any news would be great....thanks!!

joanied
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM

A story like yours, Bud, has to be an inspiration to everyone...and no doubt, when you looked down the barrel of that gun, what you saw was a ray of light...not the darkness, but hope.
I am very happy you found racing, that it saved your life....because your life was so worth saving...you made an ultimate sacrifice as a cop and you need to be proud of your service, and very proud that you found that courage to keep going...
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

joanied
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
-Joe Hirsch

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

joanied
01-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I was already in love with horses...guess from about age 5 or 6...from the pony rides at a place near where the Verazzono-Narrows Bridge is now, and the Steeplechase ride at Coney Island...then we got a TV, and all the Saturday morning horse hero's came into my life, and horse movies, and of course, horse books....the Black Stallion was my dream horse...and then came THE one that started my love affair with TB racing...
Carry Back:ThmbUp:

Horsefan
01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Joanied- you are a very nice poster!!! So much enthusiasm. Who are your favorite horses running this year (not limited to Derby potentials)? Mine are mainly Derby potentials, still working on my mega list. I also am hoping that Zenyatta and Stardom Bound are the tag team for incredible racing stars this year. Forgive if this was off topic, just wanted to catch you after you posted.:) Also Noble Sound, Miamonides and Stungbythestorm (Vindication four year olds)- he passed on but I hope that his babies add to the Slew legacy.

Grits
01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I adored Beautiful Pleasure...what a great race mare and the fact she's part of Foolish Pleasure's legacy...Grits, do you know how she is doing these days? Who she is in foal to for her '09 baby...how her offspring are doing?
Any news would be great....thanks!!

Joanie, I don't know whos she's in foal to, right now. Here's a link noting her foal, Strategic Decision who makes his 3 yo debut this Wednesday at Gulfstream and who they hope will join the 3yo trail, along with Beethoven (by the Oxley's Sky Mesa) who won the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (2yos) at Thanksgiving. Beethoven worked on Saturday, and is pointed to the Holy Bull at the end of the month. He's got more under him with 5-3-0-1.

I'll be watching Strategic Decision on Wednesday in that 12 horse field of maidens. Not ever an easy task!

I wish them much good racing luck, as always.

http://handicapping.bloodhorse.com/index.asp?source=http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi%3Fid=13792%26print=true%26header=bh

joanied
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Joanied- you are a very nice poster!!! So much enthusiasm. Who are your favorite horses running this year (not limited to Derby potentials)? Mine are mainly Derby potentials, still working on my mega list. I also am hoping that Zenyatta and Stardom Bound are the tag team for incredible racing stars this year. Forgive if this was off topic, just wanted to catch you after you posted.:) Also Noble Sound, Miamonides and Stungbythestorm (Vindication four year olds)- he passed on but I hope that his babies add to the Slew legacy.

Horsefan.... Thank you :blush: As my 'quote' says..."there are no foolish dreams"...a postivie attitude, enthusiasm, are some of the things folks need to keep life in perspective....including horse racing:jump:

I am also getting my list of favorites ready for '09...I'll get my Derby Dozen together and begin changing it very week:) as the 3 yr olds progress along the road to the Triple Crown...I'll be here touting and nixing like everyone else...it's such fun:ThmbUp:
Yep...Stardom Bound and Zenyatta will be on everyone's radar screen...and looks like Indian Blessing will race the entire season too...I read that Baffert is thinking of sending her to Dubia for a big race there...the Sprint something or other...not sure I agree with that...it'll take a lot of of her for the rest of the season, but sure would be a 'feather in her cap' if she can beat the boys over there...I am also looking forward to seeing Proud Spell again, and hope she is doing well....and that she gets the Eclipse Award.
As of right now...my top two colts for the Derby are Old Fashioned and Pioneer of the Nile.
:) :) :)

Horsefan
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Proud Spell's owner had observed when she was at the farm that she looked like she was missing the track. Hoping that she will add to Larry Jones success this year. Add Friesan Fire (Jones spoke so highly of him) and Larry has two Derby colts. Indian Blessing if she runs in Dubai can at least get a big win on the dirt, she's at a disadvantage come Breeder's Cup time. Do they ever run half seasons? Maybe retire her after Dubai to the breeding shed? Is there a let down period after racing, to clean out the system, before breeding? I'll be proud to have her and Baffert representing the US over there. Her 1/2 brother Spaniard did not live up to expectations last that I heard, I believe that he was by Candy Ride. And I must say I do love alot of the Candy Ride baby names . . . Chocolate Candy, Capt. Candyman Can, Candylion.:jump: I just checked, there is no Kentucky Candy:rolleyes:

jognlope
01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Watching Coronado's Quest win Travers on TV, then realized I was 30 minutes from the Spa.

Living Flame
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I was already in love with horses...guess from about age 5 or 6...from the pony rides at a place near where the Verazzono-Narrows Bridge is now, and the Steeplechase ride at Coney Island...then we got a TV, and all the Saturday morning horse hero's came into my life, and horse movies, and of course, horse books....the Black Stallion was my dream horse...and then came THE one that started my love affair with TB racing...
Carry Back:ThmbUp:

Yes, pretty much the same here. My mom loved horses as a child, but she grew out of it. I just grew more obsessed with them as I got older, even though I was injured by one as a child.

Loved the Black Stallion books & the movie is still one of my favorites.

Late 80's I was in a bookstore looking to buy a Walter Farley book I hadn't read yet. I spied Man O' War, took it home, and the rest is history! It is an incredible read whether you are young or old. It just absolutely set my imagination on fire, and I instantly became obsessed with that horse and with racing in general.
However, around the same time, I also dreamed of becoming a jockey and had a strong interest in racing, so I'm not quite sure if it was The Black or MOW that actually started the craze.:)

But I do know MOW is what took it to the extreme. I tried to read the racing page of the sport's section, but couldn't understand the charts, etc. So I went out, made my mom buy me Ainsley's Guide to Thoroughbred Racing, and some small, purple and white handicapping book. Didn't take me long at all to figure out how to read the Form. I used to amaze people with that ability,lol! They were so perplexed.:p

My first trip to the track was Shoe's last Ride day at Santa Anita. I remember walking with my mom up through the clubhouse and toward the rail - I was literally mesmorized at seeing the track for the first time, and hearing the crowd. *swoon*:eek:

I became a regular there. Somehow, in some weird way, word got around that I was a "pretty good handicapper," LOL! In reality, I didn't care much about betting, and we rarely bet. I still rarely bet. It's all about the horses, the people, and the game.:jump:

I am still obsessed with Man O War - obviously, considering my username. There is just something about that horse!!!

I have nearly gone broke buying MOW stuff off EBAY. I want to write about MOW, and i want to go visit any MOW-related landmarks that may still exist. *sigh* Living in the past!

CryingForTheHorses
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
At the age of 15,I was a little guy weighing 85lbs,My Dad was a limo driver for Airline Limosine in Malton Ont.He had a passenger get in his car one day going from the airport to The Royal York Hotel downtown Toronto. During the ride this passenger and my dad were talking and soon started talking about horses,My dad told him about me and he told my Dad he owned several horses at Woodbine..He told my dad to take me there on the weekend and he would have his trainer sign me in..I went to the gate not knowing a thing about a horse,I had my box of clothes with me,The trainer signed me in,Got me a tackroom to stay in and taught me how to walk horses.He had a pony named Boots that he made me brush and get to know before he let me work with the throughbreds//I was the go-boy filling haynets and struggling to fill up waterbuckets and emptying the poop baskets,Hard work for a little guy.All them years ago and I look back and think how simple it really was..That owner was the queens first cousin named Viscount Harding.His trainer was Mike Long..I will always remember that man as he had me stand in my very first win picture with a horse named Burnt Grass..Would I ever like to have that picture now.

jotb
01-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I was introduced to horse racing by an old friend of mine in the 1970's. We were "hanging out" in the luncheonette. He was looking at an unfamilair page of the daily news. My interest and probably only pages I looked at in those day's was the sport's section (Baseball, basketball, football). I asked my friend what's of interest on this page. He went on to tell me this was horse racing. I said horse racing! He said "yeah, I like to bet on the horses". I said to him how do you make bets when you are not old enough. He said "I have this guy that goes to the OTB and bets for me". I said to him your father is going to kill you if he finds out. He said "my father won't find out". I guess at the time, I felt it wouldn't hurt just to find out what this horse racing stuff was about so, I asked him how he knows which horse to bet on. He explained to me the names of the horses, jockey's, and odd's. Of course everything was "Greek" to me. One thing that stands out in my mind which was very confusing to me at the time was when I asked my friend why this jockey "no boy" is listed on some horses in the same race. I honestly don't remember what he told me (he didn't probably know himself at the time). The only thing that I do remember was that he claimed to have made some money from betting on the races and this was interesting to me. Then he asked the big question. He asked me "if I would go partners with him on a horse he thought would win". I asked him how much money do I need. He said "we only need two dollars to bet and all you have to do is come up with a $1. I asked him how much money can we make if the horse wins. He said something to me about "odds", (which I had no idea what he was talking about) but it sounded like we could make a lot of money, so I was in. Low and behold the horse won. I believe the next day he gave me back my $1 plus 80 cents. I was only 12 or 13 years old and this was pretty exciting to me. A short time later, I was shagging fly balls in centerfield with a radio in my glove (during practice for varsity baseball) listening to Marshall Cassidy, (track announcer at Aqu at the time) giving the delayed call of the stretch run at Aqu. It's 37 year's later and I'm sharing this little part of my life with Pace Advantage.

Joe

LottaKash
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I was listening to Marshall Cassidy, (track announcer at Aqu at the time) giving the delayed call of the stretch run at Aqu. It's 37 year's later and I'm sharing this little part of my life with Pace Advantage. Joe

Me too, for many years, I would be glued to the radio thruout the day and at nite when Jack Lee would give the stretch calls at Roosevelt and Yonkers Raceways......Miss those days, and the simplicity of it all.....CBS-radio & 1010-WINS....I always had the buttons set on the car radio to those 2-stations....

best,

jotb
01-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Me too, for many years, I would be glued to the radio thruout the day and at nite when Jack Lee would give the stretch calls at Roosevelt and Yonkers Raceways......Miss those days, and the simplicity of it all.....CBS-radio & 1010-WINS....I always had the buttons set on the car radio to those 2-stations....

best,

Yes, Jack Lee would give the stretch calls. I was a little into harness racing as well. Ah the day's of Webster, Sholty, Carmine Abbatiello, and Lucien Fontaine. "Their not going to catch Nickawampus Leroy tonight"

Joe

WinterTriangle
01-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Moved to Arkansas, into woods in middle of nowhere, dry county, etc.

I started going to Oaklawn just for entertainment. Never gambled before, never lived close to a racetrack.

Now I'm hooked on the whole sport, gambling or not.

LottaKash
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, Jack Lee would give the stretch calls. I was a little into harness racing as well. Ah the day's of Webster, Sholty, Carmine Abbatiello, and Lucien Fontaine. "Their not going to catch Nickawampus Leroy tonight Joe

Yeah the "Red-Man", "Loosh"... & "Benny the Whip"........ They were the day's of Bret Hanover & Speedy Scot ....

Jack Lee coined the expressions "and so&so can see em all"...&...and "so&so has the best view of the race"......

best,

joanied
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Joanie, I don't know whos she's in foal to, right now. Here's a link noting her foal, Strategic Decision who makes his 3 yo debut this Wednesday at Gulfstream and who they hope will join the 3yo trail, along with Beethoven (by the Oxley's Sky Mesa) who won the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (2yos) at Thanksgiving. Beethoven worked on Saturday, and is pointed to the Holy Bull at the end of the month. He's got more under him with 5-3-0-1.

I'll be watching Strategic Decision on Wednesday in that 12 horse field of maidens. Not ever an easy task!

I wish them much good racing luck, as always.

http://handicapping.bloodhorse.com/index.asp?source=http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi%3Fid=13792%26print=true%26header=bh

Hi Grits...
Thanks so very much...I even like his name, Strategic Decision....my husband is a military history buff and when I told him about this colt, he said that's his Derby horse:D ... I'll sure be watching him.
I don't usually have time to check race results, so if you can post back with that result from his race on Wens., I'd sure appreciate it...I'll try to catch it, but just in case I don't.

Thanks, Grits:ThmbUp:

Grits
01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Joanie, I just wrote a little note in the Derby Fever (I believe it was) thread. He had to check yesterday. Taken out of it. He'll be back.

Hi Grits...
Thanks so very much...I even like his name, Strategic Decision....my husband is a military history buff and when I told him about this colt, he said that's his Derby horse:D ... I'll sure be watching him.
I don't usually have time to check race results, so if you can post back with that result from his race on Wens., I'd sure appreciate it...I'll try to catch it, but just in case I don't.

Thanks, Grits:ThmbUp:

joanied
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes, pretty much the same here. My mom loved horses as a child, but she grew out of it. I just grew more obsessed with them as I got older, even though I was injured by one as a child.

Loved the Black Stallion books & the movie is still one of my favorites.

Late 80's I was in a bookstore looking to buy a Walter Farley book I hadn't read yet. I spied Man O' War, took it home, and the rest is history! It is an incredible read whether you are young or old. It just absolutely set my imagination on fire, and I instantly became obsessed with that horse and with racing in general.
However, around the same time, I also dreamed of becoming a jockey and had a strong interest in racing, so I'm not quite sure if it was The Black or MOW that actually started the craze.:)

But I do know MOW is what took it to the extreme. I tried to read the racing page of the sport's section, but couldn't understand the charts, etc. So I went out, made my mom buy me Ainsley's Guide to Thoroughbred Racing, and some small, purple and white handicapping book. Didn't take me long at all to figure out how to read the Form. I used to amaze people with that ability,lol! They were so perplexed.:p

My first trip to the track was Shoe's last Ride day at Santa Anita. I remember walking with my mom up through the clubhouse and toward the rail - I was literally mesmorized at seeing the track for the first time, and hearing the crowd. *swoon*:eek:

I became a regular there. Somehow, in some weird way, word got around that I was a "pretty good handicapper," LOL! In reality, I didn't care much about betting, and we rarely bet. I still rarely bet. It's all about the horses, the people, and the game.:jump:

I am still obsessed with Man O War - obviously, considering my username. There is just something about that horse!!!

I have nearly gone broke buying MOW stuff off EBAY. I want to write about MOW, and i want to go visit any MOW-related landmarks that may still exist. *sigh* Living in the past!

Great story.... have you read the book 'Man O War' by Dorothy Ours....if not, ya gotta get a copy...absolutley the best I have read on Man O War....goosebump stuff...great read!!
If I ever run across anything Man O War....I'll get in touch about it.

joanied
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Proud Spell's owner had observed when she was at the farm that she looked like she was missing the track. Hoping that she will add to Larry Jones success this year. Add Friesan Fire (Jones spoke so highly of him) and Larry has two Derby colts. Indian Blessing if she runs in Dubai can at least get a big win on the dirt, she's at a disadvantage come Breeder's Cup time. Do they ever run half seasons? Maybe retire her after Dubai to the breeding shed? Is there a let down period after racing, to clean out the system, before breeding? I'll be proud to have her and Baffert representing the US over there. Her 1/2 brother Spaniard did not live up to expectations last that I heard, I believe that he was by Candy Ride. And I must say I do love alot of the Candy Ride baby names . . . Chocolate Candy, Capt. Candyman Can, Candylion.:jump: I just checked, there is no Kentucky Candy:rolleyes:

Thanks for the Proud Spell update....I am sooooo glad to know she's doing so well and is probably missing the track...and bet she misses Larry also...I cannot wait for her to get back in training:jump: And needless to say, I hope Larry has an outstanding year.

Inidain Blessing going to Dubia is a concern (for me)...no doubt she'll make us and Baffert proud... I hope so much that she can win over there...I assume it's the Golden Shaheen Sprint (I may not have the name correct).... but, although there's that concern about the trip taking too much out of her, I read that Baffert said she's looking very strong, gained weight, so that's good...he knows what the deal is when you take a horse to Dubia, so he'll know just what to do for her when they come back home. I don't think they plan on stopping with her...Baffet said the BC Sprint is the ultimate goal.

Some stallions have names that can be used in so many ways to name their get...Candy Ride is one...
:) :) :)

joanied
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Joanie, I just wrote a little note in the Derby Fever (I believe it was) thread. He had to check yesterday. Taken out of it. He'll be back.

I read that, Grits...thanks so much for keeping me posted...wish I could see that race.
No doubt he will be back...I want to see this colt...any suggestions?

dav4463
01-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Was anyone influenced by TV shows?

Fred Sanford from Sanford and Son went to Hollywood Park and won a bundle!

The Odd Couple's Oscar was always betting on a horse and listening to his race on the radio. One time he convinced Felix to bet and they went on a big win streak!

Jack, Janet, and Chrissy hit the daily double for big money when Larry took Jack to the track on Three's Company!

I think the Beverly Hillbillies had an episode where Jed picked all the winners by just looking at them!

I know Samantha on Bewitched had an episode about racing. I think she talked to the horse and he told her when he was going to win!

joanied
01-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Was anyone influenced by TV shows?

Fred Sanford from Sanford and Son went to Hollywood Park and won a bundle!

The Odd Couple's Oscar was always betting on a horse and listening to his race on the radio. One time he convinced Felix to bet and they went on a big win streak!

Jack, Janet, and Chrissy hit the daily double for big money when Larry took Jack to the track on Three's Company!

I think the Beverly Hillbillies had an episode where Jed picked all the winners by just looking at them!

I know Samantha on Bewitched had an episode about racing. I think she talked to the horse and he told her when he was going to win!

TV shows when I was a kid didn't influence my love of racing...jst horses in general...Fury, Trigger, Flicka...when we got a TV, I saw movies like the original Seabiscuit, National Velvet...
speaking of the Odd Couple... I owned one of Jack Klugman's horses...a gelding he'd bred....he was sort of rescued off the track....he was a nice horse, and we used him to help move our cows and just ride on the farm.