PDA

View Full Version : James Quinn Books on race condition

BIG HIT
01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Hey fella's do you need to buy both book's or will most rencentbe enough i'am not a novice.Would the advance book cover all.?Like your view's if they are worth it or thing's you already know like one best drop in raceing mdn to maiden claimer's thank you

ryesteve
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey fella's do you need to buy both book's or will most rencentbe enough i'am not a novice.Would the advance book cover all.?Like your view's if they are worth it or thing's you already know like one best drop in raceing mdn to maiden claimer's thank you
Not trying to be a wiseass, but I would say buy neither. Perhaps it's just incompatibility between his way of thinking and my way of thinking, but I've always thought his books were the most overrated of all the "name" authors, and I didn't get anything useful out of them.

Tom
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
There aren't two books, area there?
Isn't one just the revised edition? That would be the one to get.

I thought that one - the Condition book, was one of the best I ever bought, especially the chapter on developing three year olds. Certainly in my top three.

Different strokes.....

BIG HIT
01-06-2009, 02:35 PM
The ad's say's handicapper's condition book;advanced treatment of thoroughbred class which lead believe this was second book.?Don't really know

Greyfox
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
but I've always thought his books were the most overrated of all the "name" authors, and I didn't get anything useful out of them.

Quinn's writing style is not everyone's cup of tea.
It's dull, boring, and lacking the flair of Beyer.
Having said that, I have most of his books somewhere and I'd say that there was "meat to be gleaned" in every one of them. I've appreciated his contributions.

wes
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
THE HANDICAPPER'S
CONDITION BOOK

The Advanced Treatment Of Thoroughbred Class

The handicapper's condition book: an advanced treatment of throuhbred class/ James Quinn.---Rev. and updated ed. 3rd ed.

copyright@2000 by Jim Quinn

wes

takeout
01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I thought that one - the Condition book, was one of the best I ever boughtI liked that one too. :ThmbUp:

I wish Quinn would go back to putting on the Expos. I liked the format a lot better before DRF took them over.

BIG HIT
01-07-2009, 09:03 AM
OK so given response's to those that said book was boreing and not helpful.Didn't it show you how to decipher the condition as to who would be a contender.?And for those who said best book or one of the bestyou bought what did it clarify as to race.What i expect to get out of the book is #1 who get a edge in condition and where avg hdcpr might miss interpet.#2 show how get idea on why trainer choose this race

RicksonG
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
The book is helpful,
I found the author wrote pretty clearly and succinctly, he takes you through each class level and the age groups, shows examples of horses that fit the profile of a typical winner, he also identifies profiles that may be overbet, or should possibly be passed over due to their generally poor strike rates and/or the downward spiral the horse may be starting on.

MarquisMark
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I found this book to be very helpful. I had to read it a few times for some of the points to sink in but I got some good tips out of it. I often refer back to it for some of the eliminaition profiles that are listed in the appendix in those situations where I have too many contenders.

His writing style is more intellectual than others so if that doesn't bother you, then it should be okay. I saw his videos on youtube and he kind of reminded me of a college professor (which I think he was, so that would fit).

Some people have said that the book points you towards too much chalk. That's the case sometimes but otherwise the class profiles are very useful to gain a greater understanding of the different kind of races and whether each entrant is suited to those particular conditions.

It's only about 20 bucks on Amazon. I'm sure you will take at least something away from it.

BIG HIT
01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
For your reply i already have bought book today.Given your review think it will be a great help.I still got his vcr video from year's back somewhere.LOL
thank's

GaryG
01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
That was by far his best book. IMO he just became too prolific with several books basically "Quinn's Greatest Hits". He is a very nice guy. I attended several of the seminars that he did with Brohamer in the early 90s and we stayed in touch for a while.

FUGITIVE77
01-11-2009, 02:40 AM
I found this book to be very helpful. I had to read it a few times for some of the points to sink in but I got some good tips out of it. I often refer back to it for some of the eliminaition profiles that are listed in the appendix in those situations where I have too many contenders.

His writing style is more intellectual than others so if that doesn't bother you, then it should be okay. I saw his videos on youtube and he kind of reminded me of a college professor (which I think he was, so that would fit).

Some people have said that the book points you towards too much chalk. That's the case sometimes but otherwise the class profiles are very useful to gain a greater understanding of the different kind of races and whether each entrant is suited to those particular conditions.

It's only about 20 bucks on Amazon. I'm sure you will take at least something away from it.

A nightmare of mine is where I'm stuck in a cell with Quinn as he explains for three hours with a grin on his face how he discovered a horse that is "the class of the field" and went on to pay a generous 6.20