PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

Marshall Bennett
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
This may appear to be a dumb question to many but I'm confused . I've had this computer for 4 weeks now . I checked when I first booted up and had 260 free GB on drive (C) . I've installed virtually nothing exept Norton updates (daily) and a few window updates . No photos , music , movies , ect . I've now got 244 free space on drive (C) . Each day I check and seem to lose a GB . Its hard to beleive these updates are " chewing " up this much . I've checked the size of the files when downloading and their basically nothing . I've ran virus scans and found nothing wrong . Any ideas or is this normal ? Thanks !!

ldiatone
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
just a thought try deleting "temp internet files' or maybe stop some programs from runing unless using them.

Marshall Bennett
01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks , I delete the temp. files frequently and in fact are set to do so when I close my browser . The only programs running I suppose are those that were pre-installed . I rarely turn the computer off , just wonder if that in itself chips away space .. if that makes any sense .

ldiatone
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
i don't know what Win. or if its apple you use. i go to the "start up" screen and turn off programs that run on the boot. only run the ones that needs to run.
on some of the older W's it was click in "run" type in "msconfig"

DJofSD
01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Assuming you're running Windows, there are a lot of things that can chew up space. Lots of things.

One thing that will happen automatically unless you take some steps to change it is an automatic "check point" Windows will perform for you. If I recall correctly, it will do it once a day. There is an expiration -- after one month -- but if you want to force the issue before that, do the following: Start -> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup. On the first panel there are a number of options you can check, take the default until you are more familiar with the tool. But, more importantly, go to the More Options tab. On that tab you should find a button to clean up System Restore files. Clicking the button will put you into a dialogue to confirm you want to do this. Click Delete/Yes then OK again. It will leave the most recent check point and delete all the others.

Another tool to investigate is Crap Cleaner. This requires a little more understanding. It's a good way to keep a check on the garbage, especially in the registry, that can build up.

Good luck.

Dave Schwartz
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
DJ,

What OS are you talking about?

I have XP Pro and if I choose "Disk Cleanup" it just begins to run. There are no choices.

Dave

bigmack
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Run this little number:
http://www.mousesoft.co.uk/index.php?mds

Also, don't get overly punctilious about your HD. It does what it does and you'll have plenty of space. Ext HD's are now around $100 for a terabit. :eek:

Marshall Bennett
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone , I'm still working on it . I've also found vista isn't all that user friendly . Files don't seem as easy to find as with xp .

dutchboy
01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Vista's restore points can take up to 3gb of your hard drive at a time. My guess is that is what is going on. I believe you can change your settings or delete old restore points.

You may want to google "vista system restore points".

DJofSD
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
DJ,

What OS are you talking about?

I have XP Pro and if I choose "Disk Cleanup" it just begins to run. There are no choices.

DaveDave, I have that available on both XP Pro and Vista.

JustRalph
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Vista's restore points can take up to 3gb of your hard drive at a time. My guess is that is what is going on. I believe you can change your settings or delete old restore points.

You may want to google "vista system restore points".

Ding!!!

DJofSD
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Update to the post above about the length of time restore points are kept. I said 30 days before. It is actually 90 days. I believe there is a registry tweak to change it to a different value but I'm still looking for a reference on how to do that.

DJofSD
01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Here's (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa378955(VS.85).aspx) an article on the MSDN web site about the registry values that control restore points. The RPLifeInterval setting controls how long they hang around.

gillenr
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
On the system restore start page is a settings selection. It lets you allocate how much drive space is used.

Dave Schwartz
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
DJ,

My mistake. Found it.

Dave

dutchboy
01-06-2009, 07:18 PM
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx

Link to try that may answer any question regarding vista restore points.

Marshall Bennett
01-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the links everyone , you've been a big help . I'm diving in head first , just hope I don't mess anything up . :)