PDA

View Full Version : Obama drops the ball on Terrorism already, More Hope? not much change

JustRalph
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/05/panetta-to-be-named-cia-director/

A Clinton Lackey gets to lead the CIA. No intelligence experience at all............ it won't take much to just say "Shut everything down" I guess.............

Panetta to Be Named C.I.A. Director
By Carl Hulse AND Mark Mazzetti

President-elect Barack Obama has selected Leon E. Panetta, the former congressman and White House chief of staff, to take over the Central Intelligence Agency, an organization that Mr. Obama criticized during the campaign for using interrogation methods he decried as torture, Democratic officials said Monday.

Mr. Panetta has a reputation in Washington as a competent manager with strong background in budget issues, but has little hands-on intelligence experience. If confirmed by the Senate, he will take control of the agency most directly responsible for hunting senior Al Qaeda leaders around the globe, but one that has been buffeted since the Sept. 11 attacks by leadership changes and morale problems.

Given his background, Mr. Panetta is a somewhat unusual choice to lead the C.I.A., an agency that has been unwelcoming to previous directors perceived as outsiders, such as Stansfield M. Turner and John M. Deutch. But his selection points up the difficulty Mr. Obama had in finding a C.I.A. director with no connection to controversial counterterrorism programs of the Bush era.

Mr. Deutch, now a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said Mr. Panetta and Dennis Blair, who was selected by Mr. Obama to become director of national intelligence, were an “absolutely brilliant team,” and called Mr. Panetta a “talented and experienced manager of government and a widely respected person with congress.”

He said that given global environment, there are indeed good reasons for Mr. Obama to select a C.I.A. veteran to lead the C.I.A. But he said that two of the agency’s most successful directors, John McCone and George H.W. Bush, had little or no intelligence intelligence experience when they took over at C.I.A.

Aides have said Mr. Obama had originally hoped to select a C.I.A. head with extensive field experience, especially in combating terrorist networks. But his first choice for the job, John O. Brennan, had to withdraw his name amidst criticism over his role in the formation of the C.I.A’s detention and interrogation program after the Sept. 11 attacks.

~more at the link~

ArlJim78
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
a very strange appointment indeed. i guess his main qualification for the job is that he is the last remaining member of the Clinton team not to have a job in this administration. we should be in great shape having a guy with no intelligence background reporting to a guy with no experience at anything.

Hooligan
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Pretty much every official from within the CIA in recent years has been tainted in some way by Bush administration policies. Obama needed someone capable who had nothing to do with the last eight years, and Panetta fit the bill. At a minimum, he had the highest of security clearances during his tenure as White House chief of staff, and no doubt spent a lot of time in intelligence briefings and in the situation room, and he was a member of the 9/11 Commission, so it's not as if Panetta is going to the CIA with no background.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/20...

ArlJim78
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
sitting in on White House briefings does not make one eligible to clean house at the CIA. Panetta at heart is a congressman, a bureaucrat, an administrator.

delayjf
01-05-2009, 07:35 PM
and no doubt spent a lot of time in intelligence briefings and in the situation room,
I'm not so sure of that. Anyone working in the White House will have a TS clearance and a White House clearance. I'm not sure a Chief of Staff would sit in on any NSC briefings.

PaceAdvantage
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Pretty much every official from within the CIA in recent years has been tainted in some way by Bush administration policies.Man, this is funny stuff. Be careful what you wish for.

prospector
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Panetta has always been a weak sister..
we're still at war, we someone with guts

JustRalph
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Pretty much every official from within the CIA in recent years has been tainted in some way by Bush administration policies. ..

The fact that the CIA has fought Bush on everything is the real truth. Hayden was put in to keep the CIA from undermining everything Bush wanted done.

We know about Panetta, now let's compare the current CIA director:

Michael V. Hayden
Director, Central Intelligence Agency

Michael V. Hayden became the 18th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency on 30 May 2006. As DCIA, he leads the Agency and manages the Intelligence Community’s HUMINT and open source collection programs on behalf of the DNI.

After 39 years in the U.S. Air Force, Director Hayden retired from active duty on 1 July 2008 with the rank of General. He was until then the highest-ranking intelligence officer in the Armed Forces.

Director Hayden has wide experience in leadership positions throughout the Intelligence Community.

From April 2005 to May 2006, he was the first Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence. Prior to that, he served for six years as Director, National Security Agency/Chief, Central Security Service (NSA/CSS), Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. Director Hayden was Commander of the Air Intelligence Agency and Director of the Joint Command and Control Warfare Center, both headquartered at Kelly Air Force Base, Texas, from January 1996 to September 1997. From May 1993 to October 1995, he served as Director, Intelligence Directorate, U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany.

Director Hayden also has held senior staff positions at the Pentagon, the National Security Council, and the U.S. Embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria, as well as serving as Deputy Chief of Staff for United Nations Command and U.S. Forces Korea. He entered active duty in 1969 as a distinguished graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps program.

Director Hayden holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and a Master’s degree in modern American history from Duquesne University. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on 17 March 1945. He and his wife, Jeanine, have a daughter and two sons

Let's face it. This is a serious downgrade of the leadership in what may be the most important position in our Government when it comes to Security and future operations. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Snag
01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Let's see now.

We have a President-in-learning.

The Sec. of State is as green as they come. Now we may have the Dir of the CIA on a learning curve.

Wow! Our foreign policy is looking great!

JustRalph
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Feinstein says she may not support the pick.........

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-cia-panetta6-2009jan06,0,5514283.story

Leon Panetta is Obama's pick for CIA director
Mike Theiler / AFP/Getty Images
While Leon Panetta doesn't have experience in the intelligence world, he served on the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel that released a report at the end of 2006 with dozens of recommendations for the reversing course in the Iraq war.
Former California congressman and Clinton aide has little experience with spy agencies. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, incoming chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, indicates she might oppose the pick.

more at the link

eddy1
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
President Clinton's "Chief Of Staff"...........

didn't see a thing while the president was 'courting' Miss Lewinsky.........

great choice for head of our national intelligence team.............lol

bigmack
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Are we talking about the same LP that parks in a walnut ranch in Carmel CA and is widely regarded as a 'softy' on all matters?

Nice Italian fellow. CIA material, he ain't.

Penny's to pastries he doesn't make it past the first round.

ArlJim78
01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
that is the same Panetta, nice kinda milquetoast fellow. he would be like a fish out of water trying to reform an agency he knows nothing about. to me it is the second dumbest appointment that I can think of. the dumbest of course was Bushs nomination of Harriet Meyers for Supreme Court.

prospector
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
we need Jack Bauer

wonatthewire1
01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
yeah, the strange thing is, if the cia wasn't in the mix with their faulty intel, iraq might not have happened. Pres bush and sec state powell wouldn't have been in all that mess about yellowcakes and wmd's and lying to congress hearings; none of that mess.

Its too bad pres bush didn't get to get his own people into the cia, that way he could have had his guys in there doing what he wanted done.

So how does oboomboom get to appoint somebody to head the agency if pres bush didn't get to do so? Did something change?