PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carter's houses are falling down

JustRalph
01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
From the "You get what you pay for" files...........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5439388.ece

From The Sunday TimesJanuary 4, 2009

Charity homes built by Hollywood start to crumbleJohn Harlow in Los Angeles
RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president, are complaining that it is falling apart.

Fairway Oaks was built on northern Florida wasteland by 10,000 volunteers, including Carter, in a record 17-day “blitz” organised by the charity Habitat for Humanity.

Eight years later it is better known for cockroaches, mildew and mysterious skin rashes.

A forthcoming legal battle over Fairway Oaks threatens the reputation of a charity envied for the calibre of its celebrity supporters, who range from Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt to Colin Firth, Christian Bale and Helena Bonham Carter.

The case could challenge the bedrock philosophy behind Habitat for Humanity, claiming that using volunteers, rather than professional builders, is causing as many problems as it solves.

April Charney, a lawyer representing many of the 85 homeowners in Fairway Oaks, said she had no problems taking on Habitat for Humanity, despite its status as a “darling of liberal social activists”. She said the charity should have told people that part of the estate had been built on a rubbish dump.

One man pulled up his floorboards to find rubbish 5ft deep under his kitchen. Other complaints include cracking walls and rotting door frames that let in rats and ants. Many residents have complained of mildew and mysterious skin rashes.

sammy the sage
01-04-2009, 08:52 AM
wtf...these 85...would be on the street's living in a cardboard box OTHERWISE! :eek:

No GOOD deed goes UNPUNISHED :rolleyes:

j/geez...just like getting sued because you RESCUED somebody from their auto wreck :faint:

boxcar
01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
wtf...these 85...would be on the street's living in a cardboard box OTHERWISE! :eek:

j/geez...just like getting sued because you RESCUED somebody from their auto wreck :faint:

This sentiment is a perfect example of how the liberal mind works, to with: Results don't really matter. But what does are "good intentions". As long as these were in place, it clearly demonstrates how "compassionate" libs are.

Oh, yes, Sammy...now these 85 are much better off living with roaches in unsafe, unsanitary, decrepit housing slapped together by well-intentioned do-gooders without a clue on how to build a safe and sound home . Heck, Sammy, if this was the goal of Carter and his program, why not just tell the homeless to find shelter in condemned, abandoned buildings? :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

jballscalls
01-04-2009, 10:13 AM

Welcome to PA off topic, where anytime you stand up for a liberal, you get punished!!

boxcar
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Welcome to PA off topic, where anytime you stand up for a liberal, you get punished!!

What Sammy should do to offset these unintended consequences is found the C.H.A., i.e. Corrugated Housing Authority so that those 85 have nice clean, sanitary digs to move into after their homes crumble around them or the roaches crowd them out -- whatever comes first. He needs to go on a hunt for very large, clean boxes suitable for occupation.

Boxcar

jballscalls
01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
What Sammy should do to offset these unintended consequences is found the C.H.A., i.e. Corrugated Housing Authority so that those 85 have nice clean, sanitary digs to move into after their homes crumble around them or the roaches crowd them out -- whatever comes first. He needs to go on a hunt for very large, clean boxes suitable for occupation.

Boxcar

Most of these people have had free houses for 8 years, i'm sure they've saved up enough money to get their own place by now havent they??

If a bonehead like me can own a house and rent an apartment, i think anyone should be able to LOL

boxcar
01-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Most of these people have had free houses for 8 years, i'm sure they've saved up enough money to get their own place by now havent they??

If a bonehead like me can own a house and rent an apartment, i think anyone should be able to LOL

You say, "saved up enough money"? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

toetoe
01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Well now, let's pursue that line of logic. If I give a wino (OOH, such judgemental, harsh language :eek: ) a fin every time he begs for it, he should be able to save up enough to eat well and buy clothes, right ? Hmm, maybe not ... ? :confused:

bobbyb
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Who, in there right minds would build on a dump in the first place.
Perhaps Jimmy would show some pity and let them move in with him. :rolleyes:
As an aside: I hope the 85 sue his ass into history for allowing this project to go forward on a f***in dump.

For the naysayers - Here's a bit of history for ya'll:

By 1978, Love Canal had become a national media event with articles referring to the neighborhood as "a public health time bomb," and "one of the most appalling environmental tragedies in American history."[5] On August 7, 1978, United States President Jimmy Carter declared a federal emergency at Love Canal, and those living closest to the site were relocated.[7]

Makes you wonder if Jimmy was asleep at the switch on this one. :bang:

bobby

Boris
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
This is not actually new news. It came up a year ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/us/17habitat.html

For the record, these people were not given these homes for free.

Quote from the link:

The first residents, mostly single women who had never owned homes, bought in for $500 down, 300 hours of sweat equity, and no-interest mortgages of around $45,000 to $61,000. Monthly payments, including insurance, are generally less than $300. HabiJax ran bus tours to show off the new community.

The Fairway Oaks owners took their complaints to Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, and of 56 who answered a survey for Legal Aid, 41 reported cracked concrete slabs, 22 had cracked walls and 48 said their houses were infested with insects or rodents, presumably because of the cracks. Others reported mold or mildew, nails popping out of plasterboard and other problems. The Habitat for Humanity local affiliate, HabiJax, maintains that the land at Fairway Oaks is stable and that most problems there are housekeeping issues, not structural. City inspectors this month examined six houses and found no violations. But in a vulnerable population, the perceptions have a life of their own. A project built with sweat equity and good will has had unintended consequences, and costs.

Given the quantity of problems, its hard to believe that all these people failed to perform basic maintenance that would have prevented the issues. Cracked slabs don't appear because you didn't re-caulk the tub. Building 85 homes in 17 days so the people building could feel good was the goal. Past the move in day photo opp, I doubt anyone ever cared about the quality of their "work".

Tom
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Not free, huh?
So Carter is a slumlord? :lol::lol:

Foreshadowing of the country when Carter II - Obama - gets done with it.
We're going to need a crap-load of conservatives to put it back together again.

sandpit
01-04-2009, 05:03 PM
if this was the goal of Carter and his program, why not just tell the homeless to find shelter in condemned, abandoned buildings? :bang: :bang:

That's probably where they were before they moved into their new digs...Seriously, though, it sounds like whomever chose this land is to blame for the current problem. I'm sure the guys that put the shingles on the roof, for example, had no idea they were on top of a dump

toetoe
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I wonder how much the seller got for that land. Hmm, I wonder ... did he make a profit ? :rolleyes:

Tom
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I wonder how much the seller got for that land. Hmm, I wonder ... did he make a profit ? :rolleyes:

Heavily insured....

oddsmaven
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
JR - I continue to enjoy the everchanging avatars :ThmbUp: but not too many of your Off Topic Thread choices :ThmbDown: .

I'll echo Sammy the Sage (#2 above) plus was disappointed that you chose to truncate your article replication leaving out the best part: ".....people did not know how to look after their homes: “It’s simple stuff: if there is mildew, don’t get a lawyer, get a bottle of bleach." ;)

Tom
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
He posted the link tot he whole story....we are not supposed to copy entire articles, just a paragraph or so and a link.

JustRalph
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
He posted the link tot he whole story....we are not supposed to copy entire articles, just a paragraph or so and a link.

Ding! You can't post an entire article due to the TOS, copyright etc........... sometimes I try like hell to find a suitable place to cut, sometimes it is hard to find one.

I would figure that if you are interested enough to go after me about it, you are probably interested enough to read the whole article.......it generates discussion sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. ..... it's a double edge sword. I do enjoy being a news junkie. But sometimes what I find interesting, is completely ignored by many. other times they end up with 20 page threads............

Avatar's are fun. In the last few weeks,

General Billy Mitchell was my favorite. Nobody recognized him......... it was his birthday. One of the people I admire. I modeled my Air Force career after his. Unintentionally of course............ :lol: :lol:

oddsmaven
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Avatar's are fun. In the last few weeks,

General Billy Mitchell was my favorite. Nobody recognized him......... it was his birthday. One of the people I admire. I modeled my Air Force career after his. Unintentionally of course............ :lol: :lol:
I missed that one unless Mitchell had an uncanny resemblance to a cat. :)

ddog
01-04-2009, 11:00 PM
This sentiment is a perfect example of how the liberal mind works, to with: Results don't really matter. But what does are "good intentions". As long as these were in place, it clearly demonstrates how "compassionate" libs are.

Oh, yes, Sammy...now these 85 are much better off living with roaches in unsafe, unsanitary, decrepit housing slapped together by well-intentioned do-gooders without a clue on how to build a safe and sound home . Heck, Sammy, if this was the goal of Carter and his program, why not just tell the homeless to find shelter in condemned, abandoned buildings? :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

Boxcar on the mindless! Another instant classic!

:lol:

toetoe
01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
I found it sorta mindful, but that's what makes a horse race.

My hero was John Mitchell, whose lovely wife Martha wrote Gone With the Wind. I know, I know --- frankly, you don't give a damn. ;)

Who wrote the following ?:

Haldeman, Ehrlichmann,
Mitchell and Dean;
It follows a pattern (if)
You know what I mean.