PDA

View Full Version : More on the playoffs

Valuist
01-03-2009, 09:45 AM
The Vikings haven't had a home playoff game in 8 years and they still haven't sold out the Metrodome. They got the deadline extended but still run the risk of having the game blacked out in the Twin Cities area:

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_11356724?nclick_check=1

As for the Colts/Chargers game, I'm starting to second guess my over wager. I won't cancel it but for those who are thinking of wagering on it, Tomlinson is questionable, so he probably will play but at far less than 100%, and more importantly, the field is supposedly in terrible condition. They played a few bowl games there and from what I've heard, the surface is tore up pretty badly, which would seem to hurt speed and long passes. This would clearly hurt the Colts, who's defense is undersized and built for speed. It also might hurt Darren Sproles, who may see significant time if Tomlinson is hurting. Also have to think it would impair the Colts deep passing game.

Getting back to the Vikings, I would have to think owner Ziggy Wolf would have to reconsider his idea of moving the team and LA would be the logical choice.

Robert Fischer
01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
http://msp73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/aykis16/playoffs.jpg

ElKabong
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
The Vikings are immensely popular up there, moreso than the Cowboys here, per person. If they're struggling to sellout that really is something.

ddog
01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
The Vikings haven't had a home playoff game in 8 years and they still haven't sold out the Metrodome. They got the deadline extended but still run the risk of having the game blacked out in the Twin Cities area:

As for the Colts/Chargers game, I'm starting to second guess my over wager. I won't cancel it but for those who are thinking of wagering on it, Tomlinson is questionable, so he probably will play but at far less than 100%, and more importantly, the field is supposedly in terrible condition. They played a few bowl games there and from what I've heard, the surface is tore up pretty badly, which would seem to hurt speed and long passes. This would clearly hurt the Colts, who's defense is undersized and built for speed. It also might hurt Darren Sproles, who may see significant time if Tomlinson is hurting. Also have to think it would impair the Colts deep passing game.

Getting back to the Vikings, I would have to think owner Ziggy Wolf would have to reconsider his idea of moving the team and LA would be the logical choice.

sproules will MOTOR on an off track , count on it.

dutchboy
01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Most of the Viking tickets are controlled by about 20,000 long time season ticket holders and corporations. It is an older season ticket crowd who have already left town for Az and Fl for the winter so that reduced sales and corporations were not in the buying mood.

There was a couple who had purchased 2 tickets. They wanted to take their baby along and were told they would have to buy another ticket since every person in the row had to have a ticket. Their question was if they could just buy another ticket and were told no. They would be required to have 3 tickets in the same row.

The Vikings are immensely popular up there, moreso than the Cowboys here, per person. If they're struggling to sellout that really is something.

dutchboy
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM

They are in the process of building a new MN Twins baseball stadium about 3 blocks from the Vikings stadium for several hundred million that is set to open in 2010. We are also building a new football stadium at the same time for the MN Gophers college football team across the river from the Vikings stadium for about 400 million that is scheduled to open next fall. Now the Vikings are looking for 900 million from the taxpayers to remove or remodel the Metrodome for a new stadium. At the same time they cannot figure out how to balance the budget that is scheduled to be 5 billion in the hole.

cappoblanca
01-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Hey, Valuist, Don't think that a "tore up" playing field will effect the runners. The clumps of wet grass will give the runners more traction for quicker turns and runs (see SPROLES with his quick angles). Anyway, the condition of the grass has little effect on the players who are at the off-def lines, since they spend half their time getting up from the ground after a play. Grass conditions don't effect play like in horse racing.

George Carlin- "I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so ****in' heroic."

cj's dad
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Sproles had an awesome game.
Tavaris is awful.
Ed Reed has surpassed R.Lewis as the heart of the Ravens D.
Marvin Harrison is in a funk
Peyton is always the smartest guy on any football field.
McNabbs benching was a wake up call for him.
Flacco is unflappable.
P. Rivers has the right mentality to beat the Steelers