PDA

View Full Version : Tell us again how Utah doesn't belong in a BCS Bowl

dav4463
01-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Way to go Utes!

cj
01-03-2009, 12:28 AM
I posted this weeks ago...they have a great bowl record, including a BCS win and a win over USC in recent years. They got screwed over, period. In no other sport can you win all your games and not have a chance to win the title.

rrbauer
01-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Nothing like watching the entitlement strut turn into the tail-between-their-legs shuffle. First Florida and now UTAH. The whole reason that Bama was ever number-1 was that they were the remaining unbeaten among the "majors". CJ is absolutely right. It's time for a new definition of the "majors".

Championships get decided on the field, not by bias-based polls.

Valuist
01-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Until they get it right (playoff), the sport will always be the red headed stepchild to the NFL.

We see how popular the NCAA basketball tournament is. I would argue that in this country, football is more popular than basketball. Imagine how popular a playoff would be. But the conference and university presidents don't care.

ceejay
01-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Championships get decided on the field, not by bias-based polls.or eclipse awards..........

dav4463
01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Utah beat four top 25 teams this year including the one team that beat USC.

How can they not be voted #1 ?

Mountain West conference went 6-1 against the PAC 10. It is as good as any conference in the nation, but gets no respect.

Don't give me this crap that the PAC 10 is weak this year either. Take a look at their record in Bowl games.

Big 12...easily the best conference? I don't think so. I think the gawdy numbers put up by Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech are as much a product of weak defenses as much as great offense. All the Big 12 bowl teams are giving up a lot of points in their bowl games.

Mountain West has evened the playing field. It's time to stop letting the media "tell" us who the best teams are and let it be decided on the field.

dutchboy
01-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Before "gender equity" reduced the number of scholarships my guess is that 50% of Utah's starting lineup would have been sitting on the bench of a traditional top 10 team.

Valuist
01-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Before "gender equity" reduced the number of scholarships my guess is that 50% of Utah's starting lineup would have been sitting on the bench of a traditional top 10 team.

Are you saying the "good old days" when the same 4-5 teams were the only teams with a shot at winning the championship were better? Parity has helped the college sport considerably. At least the season doesn't begin with a foregone conclusion who will be the best team.

Hank
01-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I love it! The BCS has got some splaning to do:lol::lol:

dav4463
01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
The Florida vs. OU game tonight has convinced me that Utah is the best team in the country.

cj's dad
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
The Florida vs. OU game tonight has convinced me that Utah is the best team in the country.

Booooooring :sleeping:

Marshall Bennett
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The Florida vs. OU game tonight has convinced me Texas would have beat either of these teams . :D

cj's dad
01-09-2009, 10:09 AM
The sad thing is that w/out a playoff system, we shall never knowThe Florida vs. OU game tonight has convinced me Texas would have beat either of these teams . :D

cj
01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
The best part of sports, at least every one that isn't BCS football, is that all titles are decided on the field. The best team doesn't always win, and that is what makes sports great in my opinion. Utah probably isn't the best team, but they certainly deserved a chance to win the title.

facorsig
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
In no other sport can you win all your games and not have a chance to win the title.
Is Pepper's Pride eligible to run in Breeder's Cup championships?

ezrabrooks
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
The sad thing is that w/out a playoff system, we shall never know

After watching a game like that last night, it makes me think that there is no sense to have a play off in D1. Can you imagine those two teams playing in the first round...leaving it all out on the field, and then the winner coming back next weekend? A play off would decide a Champ...but, not necessarily the best team.

Ez

cj's dad
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
So the alternative is to leave it up to #1-coaches (who only see their team and opponents, #2- Computer programmers-God help us , and #3 - geeky sportwriters.

I'll go with the playing field every time.

ezrabrooks
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
So the alternative is to leave it up to #1-coaches (who only see their team and opponents, #2- Computer programmers-God help us , and #3 - geeky sportwriters.

I'll go with the playing field every time.

Just pointing problems (unintended consequences) in trying to determine a National Champion. I won't lose any sleep no matter how they handle it. As to the Coaches Poll, they (the Coaches) lost all creditability when they ranked OU ahead of Texas. You would think that Head to Head would mean something to a group that says they want a playoff.

Ez

cj
01-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Is Pepper's Pride eligible to run in Breeder's Cup championships?

Sure, if the owner wants to run her, she could run.

cj
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Booooooring :sleeping:

It was pretty boring.

I know I'll probably take some flack for this, but here goes. While I'm sure Tim Tebow is a great kid, the whole Saint Tebow thing is getting beyond old. The media acts like he is the only kid with a good story to tell because his parents happen to be missionaries.

ezrabrooks
01-09-2009, 12:47 PM
It was pretty boring.

I know I'll probably take some flack for this, but here goes. While I'm sure Tim Tebow is a great kid, the whole Saint Tebow thing is getting beyond old. The media acts like he is the only kid with a good story to tell because his parents happen to be missionaries.

Did you catch the fact that he was home schooled, but played Public School Football. Something about that just doesn't seem right. The whole St. Tebow theme was wearing pretty thin...especially after the two interceptions. Your right, he is probably a great kid, but the Media Hype can turn me on anyone.

Ez

toetoe
01-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Very sad, but I believe he is the next Bret Favre. :faint: .

cj's dad
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Very sad, but I believe he is the next Bret Favre. :faint: .

So he's going to play past his prime and piss off his teammates?

DanG
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I can just imagine how it played on TV, but being there it was TERMINAL… :bang:

• All the insane breaks.
• Bad / phantom calls
• Multiple clock errors (The play clock was evidently run by the Ritz brothers)

Of course we know what Utah, Texas and certainly USC were sitting home thinking and who can blame them with this abortion of a bowl system and voting.

Did the best team win…I’m biased, but I think Florida wins a best of three against that OU team without question…but…on this night, under these circumstances it was not even close to fair for either team; and especially OU with an offense that relies on rhythm.

As far as Tebow; my daughter would be the first to tell you…what you see is what you get and don’t let the media decide your perception of an exceptional person. Put aside all your perceptions and just focus on this for a second…he is tougher then any $2 steak.

Couple game observations;

The usual obstacles await Bradford (all QB’s) when he turns pro…

• Who drafts him / what system / surrounding talent and early expectations.
• Can he withstand the punishment and avoid injury.

Without a doubt; he is one of the most accurate passers in college (football) history. He was like a machine in warm ups; every ball perfectly in stride. His quick release is pure NFL and he obviously sees the game extremely well. Can’t miss being one of the greats if he can avoid all the usual insanity that awaits NFL QB’s.

When OU came out for warm ups you would have thought it was the NFL against the junior varsity. The size of their left guard and tackle were AMAZING. How Florida held together with out a senior on ‘D and giving up huge size speaks to their heart.

This game had no reason not to be a classic. What a shame for both sides, but it is what it is and both will be strong next year as well; maybe a rematch under better circumstances.

GaryG
01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't care about the hype. This kid is one of a kind and I wish him nothing but success. So many sulking prima donnas these days.

My Trojans have yet another top quarterback prospect coming out of Orange County. Name is Matt Barkley and he was rated the #1 prospect by Scout Inc. I am afraid Sanchez is going to take the money and turn pro.

Marshall Bennett
01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I can just imagine how it played on TV, but being there it was TERMINAL… :bang:

• All the insane breaks.
• Bad / phantom calls
• Multiple clock errors (The play clock was evidently run by the Ritz brothers)

Of course we know what Utah, Texas and certainly USC were sitting home thinking and who can blame them with this abortion of a bowl system and voting.

Did the best team win…I’m biased, but I think Florida wins a best of three against that OU team without question…but…on this night, under these circumstances it was not even close to fair for either team; and especially OU with an offense that relies on rhythm.

As far as Tebow; my daughter would be the first to tell you…what you see is what you get and don’t let the media decide your perception of an exceptional person. Put aside all your perceptions and just focus on this for a second…he is tougher then any $2 steak.

Couple game observations;

The usual obstacles await Bradford (all QB’s) when he turns pro…

• Who drafts him / what system / surrounding talent and early expectations.
• Can he withstand the punishment and avoid injury.

Without a doubt; he is one of the most accurate passers in college (football) history. He was like a machine in warm ups; every ball perfectly in stride. His quick release is pure NFL and he obviously sees the game extremely well. Can’t miss being one of the greats if he can avoid all the usual insanity that awaits NFL QB’s.

When OU came out for warm ups you would have thought it was the NFL against the junior varsity. The size of their left guard and tackle were AMAZING. How Florida held together with out a senior on ‘D and giving up huge size speaks to their heart.

This game had no reason not to be a classic. What a shame for both sides, but it is what it is and both will be strong next year as well; maybe a rematch under better circumstances.
We've stood on different positions in the past Dan , but that was an excellent post :ThmbUp: . Through the fog I observed two really good teams , their quality somewhat diminished by the poor conduct of the system they're bound to . Almost makes me want to forget the BCS and go back to the days of old . It may not have been good , but at least folks weren't as pissed as they are now . With that said , I won't even go into the officials or announcers of the game except to say they should be ashamed .

ElKabong
01-10-2009, 10:56 PM
The Florida vs. OU game tonight has convinced me Texas would have beat either of these teams . :D

I toldya.... :)