PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feeds

bigmack
01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Through that NetTV idea I've learned of RSS feeds. Fairly nifty.

Dig. Let's say you have a number of interests. Notre Dame Football, anything horse racing (results, track news, Beyer column, Blood Horse latest news), your city council news, whatever...

Rather than you having to go and find those stories "as they appear" they come to you, the moment they appear.

Strap on a little honey called Google Reader, input any subscription (any page can be subscribed) & anytime you want to see what's new in the world of your interests, they're simply placed in your reader for your viewing pleasure.

If you're not computer savvy, give it a little time for you to adjust.

0klgLsSxGsU

BillW
01-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Alternative method: Firefox (possibly others, I'm not sure) handles subscriptions via active bookmarks - no need for the middleman. Bookmarks just update as new articles are available.

A for instance ...

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/

scroll down to the RSS icon and click on it rather than the link beside it "subscribe in reader". An "Add Live Bookmark" dialog box will appear.

bigmack
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Alternative method: Firefox (possibly others, I'm not sure) handles subscriptions via active bookmarks - no need for the middleman. Bookmarks just update as new articles are available.
Do the stories archive, remember which ones you've read, not lose the previous feed if you were unable to read or show disinterest, as they do in GReader?

BillW
01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
You probably have to go to an extension for that. Active bookmarks simply track the feed with the latest article on top.

bigmack
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
You probably have to go to an extension for that. Active bookmarks simply track the feed with the latest article on top.
In GReader...(which is all I know)

All story's come with headlines. If I have little to no interest in the headline I simply scroll past and GoogReader picks that up as me having read it. Good way to stay abreast of what you want to know within the sphere of your interests and passing on those of your indifference.

100 new story's may have appeared within my sphere today. I actually read the entire contents of 12, clicked on and read the first 2 paragraphs of 8 and passed on the remaining. Mission accomplished. Data fed to big head.

And...you can get very specific. You want to know when a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk comes up for listing on Ebay, or when a certain item might appear on your local Craigslist? Voila - Via RSS & GReader (or an RSS reader of your choice)

JustRalph
01-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Good Stuff Mack!!

bigmack
01-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Good Stuff Mack!!
Oh it's about as slick as it gets, JR. Last time I saw something done this well an ad was created. How bout a reprise?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ptc.jpg

JustRalph
01-03-2009, 01:43 AM
point me back to the original thread............man I love that pic, but can't find the original thread:jump:

why do I find myself searching for a quarter to bounce?

chickenhead
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
I had never used these feeds before, it has interesting possibilities. I'm now subscribed to every newspaper and alternative journal in California, that's a whole lotta news I can filter through to see what's the haps on any topic. Very cool.

bigmack
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I had never used these feeds before, it has interesting possibilities. I'm now subscribed to every newspaper and alternative journal in California, that's a whole lotta news I can filter through to see what's the haps on any topic. Very cool.
Yeah, they're slick as snot.