PDA

View Full Version : Woody Stephens

tribecaagent
01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Woody was mentioned in another thread and I thought it'd be fun to list our favorite Woody-ism's.

I have two off the top of my head:

1. When Woody was asked what he'd be doing if he wasn't training racehorses, Woody said "Hell, I'd be walkin' hots for Lukas".

2. Woody was asked about several contenders shipping in for the Belmont and if this concerned him, Woody replied "Nah...when you cross that bridge, those buildings get awful tall".

joanied
01-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I cannot recall any of his "woody-isms"....but I was stabled right next door to Woody when I was with Buddy Hirsch...and I feel so lucky to have been able to spend a lot of time in Woody's barn...beleive me...never a dull moment..he was a true 'one of a kind' person, and everyone loved the man. I have fond memories.

tribecaagent
01-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I cannot recall any of his "woody-isms"....but I was stabled right next door to Woody when I was with Buddy Hirsch...and I feel so lucky to have been able to spend a lot of time in Woody's barn...beleive me...never a dull moment..he was a true 'one of a kind' person, and everyone loved the man. I have fond memories.

Would it be possible for you to share a few?

howardjim
01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
After a Belmont, that he probably won, an objection was lodged either officially or verbally by Gary Stevens, and disallowed.

Woody, when asked about the allegation, said "Who the hell is Gary Stevens anyway, I was in the Hall of Fame before he was born."

Exact "..." from memory only.

lamboguy
01-03-2009, 10:05 AM
i met woody with my buddy "jimmy the greek". i saw him the week of the belmont stakes right before he had conquistador cielo in. i asked him how his horse was doing, he said great after he won the met mile. but woody can he go a mile and a half, he said son, "i don't put out no damn short horses".

jimmy and i went to the window's at belmont in the slop that day. i think he gave the horse out on television and he still payed $10.20. he only won by about 18 lengths.

GaryG
01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Writer to Woody who is coming out of the track kitchen: What did you have for breakfast Woody?

Woody: Bacon, eggs, toast and did I tell you I won 5 straight Belmonts?

Valuist
01-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Imagine this: Woody had just won 4 straight Belmonts and had a live contender coming off a win over the track in Danzig Connection. The horse paid around $20 or $22. If a similar situation would happen now, the horse would've never paid over $10.

joanied
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Would it be possible for you to share a few?

ohgeeze....it's been way too many years...decades, and I can't think of anything specific...sorry:blush: about that...but there was always 'good vibes' coming from his barn...everyone was happy working for Woody, even when he lost his temper over something...his German Shepard would come over to our barn and try and beat up on Buddy's dog, and Woody thought that was pretty funny...