PDA

View Full Version : Our troops in Iraq

LutherCalvin
04-03-2003, 11:31 AM
"Where do they get young men like this?”

Martin Savidge of CNN, embedded with the 1st Marine battalion, was talking with 4 young Marines near his foxhole this morning live on CNN. He had been telling the story of how well the Marines had been looking out for and taking care of him since the war started. He went on to tell about the many hardships the Marines had endured since the war began and how they all look after one another.
He turned to the four and said he had cleared it with their commanders and they could use his video phone to call home.
The 19 year old Marine next to him asked Martin if he would allow his platoon sergeant to use his call to call his pregnant wife back home whom he had not been able to talk to in three months. A stunned Savidge who was visibly moved by the request shook his head and the young Marine ran off to get the sergeant.
Savidge recovered after a few seconds and turned back to the three young Marines still sitting with him and asked which one of them would like to call home first, the Marine closest to him responded with out a moments hesitation “ Sir, if is all the same to you we would like to call the parents of a buddy of ours, Lance Cpl Brian Buesing of Cedar Key, Florida who was killed on 3-23-03 near Nasiriya to see how they are doing”.
At that Martin Savidge totally broke down and was unable to speak. All he could get out before signing off was “Where do they get young men like this?”.

Tom
04-03-2003, 12:19 PM
We got a billion of 'em. Homegrown.
Bless them all.

Dave Schwartz
04-03-2003, 01:50 PM
LC,

Nice post.

Heroes, one and all.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
04-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Subject: Colin Powell quote (unknown source, not me)

This explains the basis and foundation for America's strength and success through the years.

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.

He answered by saying that, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

It became very quiet in the room.

JustRalph
04-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
We got a billion of 'em. Homegrown. Bless them all.

They come from the orange part of this map

http://www.punjabi-manch.net/images/election-map.jpg

doophus
04-03-2003, 11:42 PM
JustRalph

OLE'

MarylandPaul@HSH
04-04-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Tom@HTR
Subject: Colin Powell quote (unknown source, not me)

This explains the basis and foundation for America's strength and success through the years.

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.

He answered by saying that, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

It became very quiet in the room.

That was such a wonderful response that I went looking for the source. Although somewhat paraphrased, it's from a speech to the World Economic Forum on 1/26/03. The entire speech is terrific, worth the read:

Powell Speech to WEF (http://www.weforum.org/site/homepublic.nsf/Content/Remarks+from+Colin+Powell,+US+Secretary+of+State)

I've always thought (along with many Americans) that Powell would make a great President, but I wonder if we'd be better served by keeping him on as Sec of State for as long as he'll have the job, and letting the President fight the daily domestic squabbles.

MP