PDA

View Full Version : Coach John Wooden

highnote
12-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm reading "Wooden -- A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court" By John Wooden with Steve Jamison.

I wanted to post a quote from his book because it reminds me of the old-time values our society seems to have forgotten.

... Mr. Ward ("Piggy") Lambert, my coach at Purde University, demonstrated extraordinary devotion to his principles and was willing to suffer whatever consequences that entailed.

For example, Coach Lambert believed that all intercollegiate games should be played on or near the campus of one of the participating schools. This, of course, ran counter to what was required in the playoffs, where games were often played on distant courts.

Coach felt this deprived the students of the colleges involved and imposted an unfair travel burden on them. He also believed it was inappropriate to hold intercollegiate competitions in commercial venues.

In 1940 Purdue Universitry won the Big Ten title and along with it a trip to the playoffs in Madison Square Garden. Coach Lambert subsequently withdrew Purdue's basketball team from the national tournament. Indiana, the team that had finished just behind Purdue in the standings, was the replacement team and won the national championship that year. Coach Lambert held to his principles. He was true to his beliefs.

Could you imagine that happening in today's money-driven, stadium-naming-rights, seat-licensing world?

I suppose this explains why I get the most enjoyment from watching my young kids play elementary school sports and why the most exciting games I have ever seen were when my home town high school had great teams. It was all about playing for the love of the game.

Dave Schwartz
12-31-2008, 07:41 PM
That's an awesome book.

I highly recommend it.

Dave

ddog
12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
guys,

those attitudes would get the coach a public venue as in a hanging and then his family would be killed and his home burned down.

the sad part is that I can recall looking back that we , even at the high school I went to "paid" and/or "imported" a player or two every year to assure us a "state" caliber team.

It was amazing that those family could "find" a well paying job right in town every year and then a couple of years later they were gone.
Just happened to coincide with the "stars" move to a college. Lots of times the family went along.

this was many many years ago, i guess it wasn't all as pure looking back now as I thought , but it wasn't as bad as today either.

highnote
01-01-2009, 01:05 AM
guys,

those attitudes would get the coach a public venue as in a hanging and then his family would be killed and his home burned down.

the sad part is that I can recall looking back that we , even at the high school I went to "paid" and/or "imported" a player or two every year to assure us a "state" caliber team.

It was amazing that those family could "find" a well paying job right in town every year and then a couple of years later they were gone.
Just happened to coincide with the "stars" move to a college. Lots of times the family went along.

this was many many years ago, i guess it wasn't all as pure looking back now as I thought , but it wasn't as bad as today either.

Don't ruin it for me! :D

ElKabong
01-01-2009, 02:43 AM
I remember as a kid seeing an episode from the Meunsters, where a college basketball player was gifted a car and other stuff. Always was under the impression that episode was a dig at UCLA & Wooden. That program did go on probation after he left for stuff that happened on his watch.

Not digging at him, but people need to realize he wasn't squeaky clean by any stretch.

highnote
01-01-2009, 02:55 AM
I remember as a kid seeing an episode from the Meunsters, where a college basketball player was gifted a car and other stuff. Always was under the impression that episode was a dig at UCLA & Wooden. That program did go on probation after he left for stuff that happened on his watch.

Not digging at him, but people need to realize he wasn't squeaky clean by any stretch.

Like I said... don't ruin it for me! :faint:

strapper
01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I had a book by Wooden but it may have been an earlier one. I'm not a big bb fan but after reading that book became a big Wooden fan. He was an extremely organized coach, left no stones unturned, and you're right the values of our society were different back then. Can you imagine him letting a guy play with tats and hair like those athletes are wearing now?

highnote
01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I had a book by Wooden but it may have been an earlier one. I'm not a big bb fan but after reading that book became a big Wooden fan. He was an extremely organized coach, left no stones unturned, and you're right the values of our society were different back then. Can you imagine him letting a guy play with tats and hair like those athletes are wearing now?

His methods make sense. By making them keep their hair short and not allowing mustaches, he was letting them know he was the boss.

But he also said it was because long hair takes longer to dry and in cold weather a player could get a head cold if his hair was wet. A sick player affected the performance of the team. He didn't want anything to decrease their chances. That's also why he made sure they knew how to put their socks on correctly.

His attention to detail was pretty amazing, but it makes sense. When you pay attention to all the little details it adds up to a big gain.