PDA

View Full Version : Defensive player of the year

Valuist
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
OK, everyone talks about offense and it gets the highlight reels, but defense is what wins in the NFL. Here's my candidates for defensive player of the year:

1. James Harrison (Pitt)--led the NFL in forced fumbles (7), was second in sacks (16) and 15th in tackles (101). Nobody else was that high in all 3 categories.

2. Joey Porter (Mia)--led the NFL with 17.5 sacks and was 5th with 4 forced fumbles. But his tackles number (47) pales compared to Harrison

3. Ray Lewis (Balt)--old timer showed he still can play. 9th in tackles (117) , 3 interceptions, 3.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles

4. Troy Polamalu (pitt)--among the interception leaders (7) and had 73 tackles.

Honorable mentionL Courtland Finnegan (Tenn) James Farrior (Pitt) and D. Jackson (Cleve).

fiveouttasix
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Demarcus Ware had 20 sacks...deserves mention.

Valuist
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM

You're right. He did lead with 20 and had 6 forced fumbles and 84 tackles. Definitely top 5. Have to dig a bit to get the defensive stats. Sites like ESPN and Yahoo don't make it easy to get the defensive #s.

RaceBookJoe
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM

Ware had a great season. Wouldnt mind seeing Chris Horton win rookie DPOY. rbj

cj's dad
12-31-2008, 10:31 PM
9 interceptions for the year and a 107 return off of an Int. for a TD vs. the Eagles-
Quite possibly the play of the year- case closed ?!?

This game vs. the Eagles led to McNabbs benching !

Valuist
01-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Probably the play of the year although one could make a case for Bernard Berrian's 99 yard TD catch.

ldiatone
01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
OK, everyone talks about offense and it gets the highlight reels, but defense is what wins in the NFL. Here's my candidates for defensive player of the year:

1. James Harrison (Pitt)--led the NFL in forced fumbles (7), was second in sacks (16) and 15th in tackles (101). Nobody else was that high in all 3 categories.

2. Joey Porter (Mia)--led the NFL with 17.5 sacks and was 5th with 4 forced fumbles. But his tackles number (47) pales compared to Harrison

3. Ray Lewis (Balt)--old timer showed he still can play. 9th in tackles (117) , 3 interceptions, 3.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles

4. Troy Polamalu (pitt)--among the interception leaders (7) and had 73 tackles.

Honorable mentionL Courtland Finnegan (Tenn) James Farrior (Pitt) and D. Jackson (Cleve).

i like this guy 3 from Pittsburgh and 1 former :ThmbUp: :jump:

cj's dad
01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
i like this guy 3 from Pittsburgh and 1 former :ThmbUp: :jump:

Yoo Hoo- somebody out there likes my team.

You have no objectivity- typically, there are those who live their lives vicariously through others. Apparently, you are one of those. If anyone from Pitsberg receives any mention from anyone on this site you get all excited.
Have fun rooting for your team, but do not for 1 minute think that anyone on the Pitsberg Stealers care a wit about you. Grow Up.

BTW- now that there is zero steel industry in Pitsberg, why not change the name of the team to the Pitsberg Hamburger Flippers??

Robert Fischer
01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
hey i could go for some of that Blaine Hill BBQ w/ BATMAN sauce right now :D

Harrison "deserves" the award... Special Teams linebacker who works his way into the starting lineup with his tremendous blue-collar play and leadership.

Polamalu may have even more of a chance to impact anyone one given play or game. He is the natural out there. + He has avoided those blind-side blocks from the weak side this season and is relatively healthy.

if only they had a offensive coordinator or a running game :bang:

Valuist
01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
hey i could go for some of that Blaine Hill BBQ w/ BATMAN sauce right now :D

Harrison "deserves" the award... Special Teams linebacker who works his way into the starting lineup with his tremendous blue-collar play and leadership.

Polamalu may have even more of a chance to impact anyone one given play or game. He is the natural out there. + He has avoided those blind-side blocks from the weak side this season and is relatively healthy.

if only they had a offensive coordinator or a running game :bang:

And here going into the season they appeared to be loaded at RB: Willie Parker had some big seasons and they drafted Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. Parker was coming off a pretty major injury and apparently its had an effect. One also cannot discount losing all Pro tackle Alan Faneca to the Jets.....look at how Thomas Jones' performance improved this year with a better O-line.

BillW
01-02-2009, 02:58 PM
And here going into the season they appeared to be loaded at RB: Willie Parker had some big seasons and they drafted Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. Parker was coming off a pretty major injury and apparently its had an effect. One also cannot discount losing all Pro tackle Alan Faneca to the Jets.....look at how Thomas Jones' performance improved this year with a better O-line.

While neither were pro-bowlers, Simmons was lost in the first game, Smith was out for the season. In addition, they have never recovered from Hardings retirement a year earlier. All in all the o-line depth is a pathetic weakness.

ldiatone
01-02-2009, 04:26 PM

You have no objectivity- typically, there are those who live their lives vicariously through others. Apparently, you are one of those. If anyone from Pitsberg receives any mention from anyone on this site you get all excited.
Have fun rooting for your team, but do not for 1 minute think that anyone on the Pitsberg Stealers care a wit about you. Grow Up.

BTW- now that there is zero steel industry in Pitsberg, why not change the name of the team to the Pitsberg Hamburger Flippers??

well i guess your right and i will grow up. this way i won't have to read any more juvenile remarks about Pittsburgh. alas, i am a 'burger flipper by trade but i flip more than burgers.
so good bye on this subject
ldiatone

cj's dad
01-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Seriously, after Ed Reeds performance yesterday, is there any question about Defensive palyer of the year?

cj's dad
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Not a knock against James Harrison - but the Raven's hatred is alive and well.

Valuist
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
It was a great return by Reed....but the voting is based on regular season play and done before the playoffs. The more I watch the Ravens, the more they are starting to remind me of the 2000 team. OK, the D isn't quite as good, but its impressive. I remember back in Jan of 2001 the public didn't really take the Ravens seriously until they went into Tennessee and beat the hell out of the Titans. They are in the same spot now and I think they can beat Tennessee.

pktruckdriver
01-06-2009, 01:18 AM
You're right. He did lead with 20 and had 6 forced fumbles and 84 tackles. Definitely top 5. Have to dig a bit to get the defensive stats. Sites like ESPN and Yahoo don't make it easy to get the defensive #s.

NFL.com has all the stats you need, just for future reference.

Patrick

ralph_the_cat
01-06-2009, 01:27 AM

Ditto...

obviously this man has done something to you in the past?... because you seem like a real jerk... :ThmbDown: