PDA

View Full Version : excell question

exactaplayer
12-31-2008, 02:16 AM
i download my plays from youbet and put them in excel spreadsheet. Problem is I get an icon in the date column. i want to remove icon. only way i can do it so far is click on it and hit delete key. this is time consuming and a pain. any excel experts out there now how i can automate this ? each icon is a picture and they are numbered. picture 557.. picture 558 etc.

dutchboy
12-31-2008, 07:09 PM
If you are hitting the delete button why not just delete the entire column? I assume the delete button is removing everything in the cell.

Tom
12-31-2008, 07:19 PM
When I delete columns, the icons stay. What I do now is copy all the columns
and "paste as" values on a new worksheet. I do it by hand, because I don't do it all that often, but I imagine you could write a macro to create the new sheet, copy and past the data, then delete the old sheet.

michiken
12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Could these icons be special unicode characters inserted by the data supplier to be able to track/see if you may be 're-selling' the data?

I wouldn't put it past them....

raybo
01-01-2009, 11:43 AM
i download my plays from youbet and put them in excel spreadsheet. Problem is I get an icon in the date column. i want to remove icon. only way i can do it so far is click on it and hit delete key. this is time consuming and a pain. any excel experts out there now how i can automate this ? each icon is a picture and they are numbered. picture 557.. picture 558 etc.

Record a macro.

After you start recording, do what you have to do to delete the icons (if you have to delete each one individually that's ok just keep deleting until they are all gone), then click "stop recording".

Place a macro button on your spreadsheet, name it whatever you wish to describe what the assigned macro will do (like: "Delete Icons"), then right click the button, select "Assign Macro", and then select the macro you just recorded.

Every time you click the macro button everything you did while recording the macro will be done for you.

If you need help doing this, just holler.