PDA

View Full Version : Increase the size of your home library by over 1700 books.

Hooligan
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Many esoteric volumes at http://www.forgottenbooks.org/catalog/index.php

I just found this and the type is easy to read. Great site and I just wanted to share it with those of us that haven't stumbled on it yet.

Have fun!

http://www.forgottenbooks.org/catalog/index.php

Greyfox
12-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Hooli, you're 15 posts into this site and spaming.

:lol: :lol:

dav4463
12-30-2008, 11:30 PM
When you look at the main board. It just said "Increase the size of your......!"...so I clicked and it said "home library!"....that wasn't what I was expecting! :D

Greyfox
12-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Maybe I spelled spammer wrong.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dick Schmidt
12-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Maybe I spelled spammer wrong.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should take your head out of your ass and actually look at the site Hooligan is recommending. He isn't spamming, he is recommending a site that offers older books online for free. An eclectic mix, to be sure, and some of them are far from forgotten, but all are out of copyright, so can be downloaded or read online with no legal repercussions. Most of the books aren't something I would care to read and may be best forgotten, but some are classics and it is good to have a free source online.

Dick

I would like to take you seriously, but that would be an affront to your intelligence.

Greyfox
12-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Now I know why you were called "Dick," Schmidt, right on the mark. My guess is that in real life in person your courage is diminished significantly.

Pace Cap'n
12-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Even assuming it was spam, exactly what business is it of yours?

Greyfox
12-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Even assuming it was spam, exactly what business is it of yours?

None. There's not even a full moon out and the nuts are out of the asylum. I take it all back. If people want to spam here that's fine. If Dick heads can't recognize it as spam that's fine too. Sorry for pointing that out. I apologize.
Boy, 2009 sure has promise for wing nuts.

Pace Cap'n
12-31-2008, 07:45 AM

I'm sure you'll be out front leading the way.

Tom
12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Now I know why you were called "Dick," Schmidt, right on the mark. My guess is that in real life in person your courage is diminished significantly.

No, actually, he is more reserved on the net. In real life.....:eek::eek::eek:

;):lol:

socantra
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
None. There's not even a full moon out and the nuts are out of the asylum. I take it all back. If people want to spam here that's fine. If Dick heads can't recognize it as spam that's fine too. Sorry for pointing that out. I apologize.
We've all shown our ass from time to time on the net. Some apologize and some just shut up til it goes away.

Either way, most agree that continuing to run around with your butt hanging out while insulting those who have noticed is probably not the most effective recovery strategy.

Dave Schwartz
12-31-2008, 10:50 AM

No, he's like that in person as well.

That's why we call him "Surly Dick."

(Dick, go fix your tag line, please.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

bigmack
12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I just finished reading The Peyote Cult. Wild stuff. :cool:

njcurveball
12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
A very interesting debate here. A long while back I posted a few links to libraries, but did not post a web page that advertises selling those books. Most posts like that are read by a few and quickly reach the bottom of the list to move to page 2 and never to be heard from again.

A simple site is

http://books.google.com/

From there you can do everything promoted and search a whole lot more books. I went there, typed in horse racing and came up with this gem.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ojYCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=horse+racing#PPA76,M1

And of course on the side is advertising as well. Just like there is advertising on the side of PA as I type this.

SPAM is now becoming much more covert these days.

I think it was a decent link, but if you like it, simply use Google and avoid the middle man. He probably gets paid for clicks or sales, so it is border line SPAM.

I guess perhaps the most curious thing is he posted on a horse racing site and didn't even bother to put a horse racing book on his page. Google has much more than 1,736 books, but perhaps now I will be accused of spamming for Google. :eek:

Dave Schwartz
12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
NJ,

Thanks for the link. I always wondered where to find that.

Dave

dav4463
12-31-2008, 10:41 PM
Why...are....we ....fighting ??.................this isn't a Stones concert!

I just watched that documentary and "Why are we Fighting?" is stuck in my head! :)

I just did a classic rock video marathon. I watched the Stones documentary about the concert at Altamont Speedway.

Then I watched The Kinks "One for the Road" followed by "Amazing Journey, the story of The Who, and "The Kids are Alright", another Who documentary.

PaceAdvantage
01-01-2009, 01:56 AM
We're fighting because a certain few on this site are wanna-be moderators.

Leave the moderating up to me and my small crew. We've been doing this for almost ten years. We know spam when we see it. And when we see it, you won't.

Thank you, and Happy New Year to all (except for Greyfox, who is the genuine number one DICK in this thread).

Greyfox
01-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Happy New Year to everybody and especially you PA. :jump:
You run a good ship except I do miss 46Zil as a contributor. I suspect others do as well. May everyone enjoy a good year at the tracks.

hcap
01-01-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with Grey. I think 46Zil has had long enough in purgatory.

PaceAdvantage
01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
...I do miss 46Zil as a contributor. I suspect others do as well.Shall we put it to a vote? And if we do, how do we prevent the clowns with 15 registered user names from destroying the integrity of the voting process?

banacek
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Banning people or lifting bans isn't the problem to me. I'll get slaughtered for this, but there are some serious and relatively new problems on this site..the off-topic is completely out of control..everyone (left, right, moderators, you name it) have to start a new thread just to start a fight...look at who starts the threads and the tone of those threads. This isn't debate..it's flaming..and it's childish..and it's a complete waste of time. I just clicked on today's posts..I have to go 26 posts back to get to one from handicapping discussion..isn't what this site is supposed to be about?

I've learned a lot from many smart people here, but the level of good handicapping info here has gone downward in the last year or so..people are gone that used to contribute a lot..some amazing people remain that don't contribute much anymore..

Again, I very much appreciate everything I have learned especially from people like JeffP, DanG, chickenhead..can't name them all or I'll look even worse than I do now.

Greyfox
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Shall we put it to a vote? And if we do, how do we prevent the clowns with 15 registered user names from destroying the integrity of the voting process?

No, it should not be put to a vote. We have to trust the moderators to make just decisions. Surely if one can be ousted, they can be reinstated. Trainers administering illicit meds receive softer suspensions than some violators here.
I don't know what 46Zil did to violate the T.O.S. so I can't comment on that.
I can say though that the man had umpteen thousands of posts before expulsion so he must have stayed within boundaries the majority of the time.
Personally, I found his contributions to be bright, witty, and informative,
I also disagreed with him more often than not.

It seems to me that if there is a season for forgiveness, it would be around this time of year. Otherwise, any reaching out and wishing others all the best and Good Will To Men, doesn't mean very much does it. The moderators on this board are in position to do that.

socantra
01-01-2009, 08:35 PM
[b]
It seems to me that if there is a season for forgiveness, it would be around this time of year. Otherwise, any reaching out and wishing others all the best and Good Will To Men, doesn't mean very much does it. The moderators on this board are in position to do that.
I wish all mankind good will, regardless of season. Dispensations, other than that, are up to PA. Its his football and he calls the game. I have no problem with that.

Greyfox
01-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I have no problem with that either. That's exactly as it should be.

PaceAdvantage
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
There's been a tool in place for some time that allows you to complete ignore off-topic postings and still get the functionality of "Today's Posts"

Click the "Quick Links" item in the menu and you'll see a host of "Today's Posts" or "New Posts" options, including:

Hope that helps.

Banning people or lifting bans isn't the problem to me. I'll get slaughtered for this, but there are some serious and relatively new problems on this site..the off-topic is completely out of control..everyone (left, right, moderators, you name it) have to start a new thread just to start a fight...look at who starts the threads and the tone of those threads. This isn't debate..it's flaming..and it's childish..and it's a complete waste of time. I just clicked on today's posts..I have to go 26 posts back to get to one from handicapping discussion..isn't what this site is supposed to be about?

I've learned a lot from many smart people here, but the level of good handicapping info here has gone downward in the last year or so..people are gone that used to contribute a lot..some amazing people remain that don't contribute much anymore..

Again, I very much appreciate everything I have learned especially from people like JeffP, DanG, chickenhead..can't name them all or I'll look even worse than I do now.

toetoe
01-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I have decided, a posteriori, to actually leave mine up there while trying to smell the coffee, look at forgottenbooks.org, et cetera.

chickenhead
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I read some of this book on Google, pretty interesting:

The Age of Chance: Gambling and Western Culture (http://books.google.com/books?id=z43w6h_QTusC&printsec=frontcover#PPP1,M1)

chickenhead
01-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Our very own Boomers: How to Turn a track into a money machine (http://books.google.com/books?id=llvWYaMePxEC&printsec=frontcover)

chickenhead
01-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Bei Betfair Wetten und gewinnen fur Dummies (http://books.google.com/books?id=cvdtLr30us8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=betfair&lr=)

:)

njcurveball
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't know what 46Zil did to violate the T.O.S. so I can't comment on that.

ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA! :jump:

Language warning if you click on the lnk below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl9nNIoz8o&feature=related