PDA

View Full Version : Hello Gulfstream

CryingForTheHorses
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Well it wont be but a few days before the "Dreaded" GP Meet starts,Dreaded means taking that horrible van ride form Calder to GP with all the road work along 441 and Hallandale B Blvd.30 minutes there and 1 hour to get back due to the stop and go traffic and battling the blue tops for road space. The gestapo backside of GP,The guards at the gate giving Calder horseman a hard time because we dont have a gp sticker as Im not stabled there,The worrying about races been canceled because of rain.Hoping and praying that they use your race in the book that you entered for. Running to the claim box only to see another 5 in for the same horse. I was outshook 7 times during the meet last year and lost another when the clerk drew the peas twice.I was incensed! The little short hoses that wouldnt wash a dog never mind a horse that they put on the wash rack in the receiving barn,The crap they use that they call bedding,If a horse gets his head down and starts inhaling it,He may choke to death.Gulfstream may look great from a bettors advantage but its hell for a small horseman trying to survive

cj
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't know many bettors that look forward to Gulfstream any longer. It is said, because there was a time it was the premier betting meet in the country.

the little guy
12-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know many bettors that look forward to Gulfstream any longer. It is said, because there was a time it was the premier betting meet in the country.

I was gearing up for a big meet there, but now that I know of the shabby treatment McSchell Racing receives ( from his beloved Frank Stronach no less ), I am planning to boycott completely.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

NoCal Boy
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
A picture sums it up...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Well it wont be but a few days before the "Dreaded" GP Meet starts,Dreaded means taking that horrible van ride form Calder to GP with all the road work along 441 and Hallandale B Blvd.30 minutes there and 1 hour to get back due to the stop and go traffic and battling the blue tops for road space. The gestapo backside of GP,The guards at the gate giving Calder horseman a hard time because we dont have a gp sticker as Im not stabled there,The worrying about races been canceled because of rain.Hoping and praying that they use your race in the book that you entered for. Running to the claim box only to see another 5 in for the same horse. I was outshook 7 times during the meet last year and lost another when the clerk drew the peas twice.I was incensed! The little short hoses that wouldnt wash a dog never mind a horse that they put on the wash rack in the receiving barn,The crap they use that they call bedding,If a horse gets his head down and starts inhaling it,He may choke to death.Gulfstream may look great from a bettors advantage but its hell for a small horseman trying to survive

Grits
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Gulfstream and Saratoga, and I'm content.

onefast99
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Best of luck to you Tom. We run on the 17th I will be there that weekend. No sunshine millions this year for us...maybe the Florida Derby!!!!;)

onefast99
12-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I was gearing up for a big meet there, but now that I know of the shabby treatment McSchell Racing receives ( from his beloved Frank Stronach no less ), I am planning to boycott completely.

I'm sure I'm not alone.
I think you need to give the new racing secretary a chance.

onefast99
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
You could always go up to Palm Meadows and pay in advance for the stalls and be forced to buy the bedding from Franks company. What amazes me is how he gets away with it.

the little guy
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I think you need to give the new racing secretary a chance.

I was joking.

I've heard trainers whine about a lot of things.....but losing shakes is a new one on me. Honestly, and I am friendly with a lot of trainers, but they may actually complain more than horseplayers. Now that's an accomplishment.

BIG49010
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I was joking.

I've heard trainers whine about a lot of things.....but losing shakes is a new one on me. Honestly, and I am friendly with a lot of trainers, but they may actually complain more than horseplayers. Now that's an accomplishment.

:lol: I agree, not that Tom is a barn manager, but some of these guys need a dose of reality.

onefast99
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I was joking.

I cant complain we got stolen time in a 6 way shake. Thats why they call it the claiming game! As far as the trainers go who has a better life then them Florida from December thru April then back to NY or NJ. Next year the horses stay in NY and I'm going to Florida for the winter...

the little guy
12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I cant complain we got stolen time in a 6 way shake. Thats why they call it the claiming game! As far as the trainers go who has a better life then them Florida from December thru April then back to NY or NJ. Next year the horses stay in NY and I'm going to Florida for the winter...

I don't know about that. Being a trainer, wherever you are, is a tough job.

lamboguy
12-31-2008, 03:30 AM
you want to run in florida you better have good horses, and i mean stake horses. a calder $6250 open has purse of $7000. go up to penn national and run for $15,800 against lesser horses. the stakes races are good, but try to win them. the last time i was in a stake race in gulfstream was about 5 years ago, it was the mockingbird stakes, if i remember right the purse was $40,000 back them. it was the last time they ran the race. i don't think there has been another 2 yo race there since then.

Tom
12-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey Tom......did they rotate the tires on the grandstand yet? :lol:

supercap
12-31-2008, 09:11 AM
you want to run in florida you better have good horses, and i mean stake horses. a calder $6250 open has purse of $7000. go up to penn national and run for $15,800 against lesser horses. the stakes races are good, but try to win them. the last time i was in a stake race in gulfstream was about 5 years ago, it was the mockingbird stakes, if i remember right the purse was $40,000 back them. it was the last time they ran the race. i don't think there has been another 2 yo race there since then.

Since Gulfstream runs from Jan to mid Apriil , it is pretty hard to run a 2 year old race. If you are lucky maybe a msw in April.

onefast99
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know about that. Being a trainer, wherever you are, is a tough job.
None of the above. Just a mid level claimer trying to compete.

alhattab
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM

I don't know what your personal constraints are, but maybe you should consider running someplace else.

CryingForTheHorses
12-31-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't know what your personal constraints are, but maybe you should consider running someplace else.

I do run somewhere else...Calder

SmartyJ
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I went to Gulfstream for the first time last spring and it was beautiful.

Grits
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I went to Gulfstream for the first time last spring and it was beautiful.

It is horrendous, what was done to this racetrack. It was beautiful the way is WAS before Frank Stronach turned it into horseracing dba/ the afterthought out back.

Did you not ever visit the real Gulfstream prior to Frank's vision?

BIG49010
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
114 Horses for 9 races, somebody wants to race at Gulfstream!

NoCal Boy
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Gulfstream should have a great meet with large fields and at least 3 of the 4 major ADWs taking the wagers. Youbet alone did $16MM in wagers on Gulfstream in 2007 before being shut out last year.

114 Horses for 9 races, somebody wants to race at Gulfstream!

ddog
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
It is horrendous, what was done to this racetrack. It was beautiful the way is WAS before Frank Stronach turned it into horseracing dba/ the afterthought out back.

Did you not ever visit the real Gulfstream prior to Frank's vision?

"Frank's vision"

Wow, g , you ARE a class act.

hallucination .. nightmare .... I think that's more correct.

Why must everything be driven to the trash heap these days?

onefast99
12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
"Frank's vision"

Wow, g , you ARE a class act.

hallucination .. nightmare .... I think that's more correct.

Why must everything be driven to the trash heap these days?
Once the reataurants and mall are completed the management should work on the seating where franks beach is located. They need to get the railbirds back again.

point given
12-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Once the reataurants and mall are completed the management should work on the seating where franks beach is located. They need to get the railbirds back again.
Tough to get the rail birds back when you can;t see the race from the rail but watch the video screen instead while at the rail, might as well stay in the paddock seated and watch video there. = Franks vision. or stay in the restaurant and watch video in there. The seats are for the old schoolers and connections. They paved paradise and put up a mall and slot parlor :(

alhattab
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
I do run somewhere else...Calder

Oh good. Well have fun running there while GP is open.

Bubba X
01-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Tough to get the rail birds back when you can;t see the race from the rail but watch the video screen instead while at the rail, might as well stay in the paddock seated and watch video there. = Franks vision. or stay in the restaurant and watch video in there. The seats are for the old schoolers and connections. They paved paradise and put up a mall and slot parlor :(
I'm not connected nor all that old. I just bought two seats for both this Sat and this Sun. Sat was $10; Sun was $7. Saturday's seats are in sec 105 (just inside finish line) Row B and Sunday's are in Row A of the same section.

Parking and gen admissiion are free.

I'm not a huge fan of what Gulfstream did. But the truth is with their grandstand so close to the track, there is no better place to watch the races from.

onefast99
01-01-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not connected nor all that old. I just bought two seats for both this Sat and this Sun. Sat was $10; Sun was $7. Saturday's seats are in sec 105 (just inside finish line) Row B and Sunday's are in Row A of the same section.

I'm not a huge fan of what Gulfstream did. But the truth is with their grandstand so close to the track, there is no better place to watch the races from.
What pointgiven is saying is that the big infield video screen blocks the view of the railbirds. I watched one or two races from franks beach last year and it wasnt that bad except the loud music from the beach area drowned out the track announcers call of the race. I actually prefer the outside seating area right by the buffet.

point given
01-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Enjoy the races. I'm not into a back and forth on this old topic, its been beaten to death before if you care to search the topic. The railbirds have left the building with a nudge from the powers that be. ie - look for them at Tampa.

supercap
01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Enjoy the races. I'm not into a back and forth on this old topic, its been beaten to death before if you care to search the topic. The railbirds have left the building with a nudge from the powers that be. ie - look for them at Tampa.
Amen!

thespaah
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM

Did you not ever visit the real Gulfstream prior to Frank's vision?From the feedback on here, Stronach rebuilt the place leaving the grandstand and standee players out of the mix. I went to GP twice in the 80's. The plcae was nice, clean and had plenty of room even on FL Derby day with 30,000 there it was ok.

Grits
01-01-2009, 02:41 PM
This was, precisely, my point I believe.

From the feedback on here, Stronach rebuilt the place leaving the grandstand and standee players out of the mix. I went to GP twice in the 80's. The plcae was nice, clean and had plenty of room even on FL Derby day with 30,000 there it was ok.

karlskorner
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Was worth the hour trip to GP. 5th at GP, Flight to Eden, paid $8.40. You just knew somebody was going to claim him.

Zaf
01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice Job Tom ! :jump:

Z

ralph_the_cat
01-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I was joking.

Losing a shake is like handicapping a race for a couple days... studying a nice longshot you love.... driving to the track making phone calls to your buddies about this horse your going to score big on.... and then going to the window only to get shut out... then watching the horse win like a champ and your winning ticket would have paid $5,000+, but you dont have it... because when a claimer you "almost had but got out shook on" runs good or even wins... it burns you... hard to compare to paying too much for a program or parking place...