PDA

View Full Version : It Won't Eliminate Breakdowns BUT

Endsweep24
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I quarentee it will help And it has nothing to do with Dirt vs Poly Tracks.

It all starts on Race Day With the Comm. Vets. Too Many Horses are allowed to run that are not inspected properly on raceday.

There needs to be a set Standard that all Comm. Vets throughout this country needs to follow. And I don't mean check there tattoo # and there good to go. There needs to be a very Strict policy in Place. A pre race exam should include a visual inspection. And I mean if there is pressure in a joint flex it, to see if there sore. Then a horse should be made to jog. Every Effort should be made by the vets to insure a horses soundness. I don't want to here the excuse that the commission is not properly staffed to do this. Well if there not hire enough staff to do it properly.

And when a horse is scratched pre race due to unsoundness he needs to be placed on the vets list for a Minimum of 30 days.(At alot of tracks its 2 weeks) At which point the Comm. vets need to inspect horse again. If he is deemed sound then the horse would be able to race again.

ANd if a horse is scratched a 2nd time on race day by the vets the penalties need to be alot stiffer(not sure what they should be), How about a stiff fine for the trainer too for entering an unfit horse to race.

Really this is just a rough draft but the Key to something of this nature working is there must be Uniformity accross the board. I have raced in too many states where the vets simply just looked at the horses Tattoo # and head to the next Stall.

Endsweep

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
I suppose the funding would come from the player's pockets . Not that its not a good idea . Smaller venues would suffer most , that is if it were to be mandated through out . The way horses are made these days , gosh , entire fields might be wiped out .

Mineshaft
12-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I suppose the funding would come from the player's pockets . Not that its not a good idea . Smaller venues would suffer most , that is if it were to be mandated through out . The way horses are made these days , gosh , entire fields might be wiped out .

The tracks vet do the inspecting. They are already employed by the track. No extra funding needed.

You must be new at this?

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm not all that new at it but then , I'm not an expert like you ... and I suppose these vets will do the testing and/or whatever at their own expense , or the track's expense , or maybe the routine is free .. I really don't know , you tell me . Are the lesser venues equipped to cover an entire card ( low level claimers I might add ) and insure gamers they'll have a worthwhile card to handicap ? Explain it to me , maybe I'm newer than I thought .

Endsweep24
12-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Let me shed some light for you Marshall every track has Comm vets already in Place no extra expense should be incoured. I am not sure how each state operates but there should be some sort of pre race inspection in Place. But It is way to lax. That is why I am saying there needs to be a Uniform System throughout this country. Strict Pre race inspections would keep Some (not all) of these unsound horses from racing.

Mineshaft
12-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not all that new at it but then , I'm not an expert like you ... and I suppose these vets will do the testing and/or whatever at their own expense , or the track's expense , or maybe the routine is free .. I really don't know , you tell me . Are the lesser venues equipped to cover an entire card ( low level claimers I might add ) and insure gamers they'll have a worthwhile card to handicap ? Explain it to me , maybe I'm newer than I thought .

Some tracks check every horse before they run. State vet comes around checks knees and ankles and watches them trot down the shedrow. If he thinks they arent sound enough to run he will scratch them. Ive never had one scratched but i know a few people that had there horses scratched because they didnt pass the pre-race exam.

At Sam Houston they check every horse. At EVD they check every horse. Theres no expense. The state vets are already employed by the tracks. Its one of there jobs. They also watch every horse warmup during the post parade and if they dont look right they will scratch them. They also look at every horse after the race to see if they arent lame coming back to unsaddle.

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
I was under the assumption that " Endsweep " had more in mind than just a quick visual , a check of joints , and off to the races . Although such a " rule " would seem like a good idea , I doubt it would be thoroughly enforced . At least it would be on their minds none the less . Would breakdowns then most certainly fall back on those vets to explain , or as it is now , speculation and finger pointing ?

kenwoodallpromos
12-28-2008, 10:19 PM
All connections, including vets, need to learn to read PPs for warning signs of leg problems AND overwork.

HUSKER55
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, I am new and I don't know very much about this so any info will be appreciated.

When a horse breaks down I was under the assumption that some sort of "autopsy", "exam" or something was done to determine what caused the breakdown.

Right or wrong? Does anyone know for sure? I don"t.

If there is such an examination and it was proven to be stable negligence I would think there would be repercussions.

Surly an owner would be entitlled to some sort of settlement, I would think.

Thanks for the info.

onefast99
12-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, I am new and I don't know very much about this so any info will be appreciated.

When a horse breaks down I was under the assumption that some sort of "autopsy", "exam" or something was done to determine what caused the breakdown.

Right or wrong? Does anyone know for sure? I don"t.

If there is such an examination and it was proven to be stable negligence I would think there would be repercussions.

Surly an owner would be entitlled to some sort of settlement, I would think.

Thanks for the info.
The track vets do have a list of information on horses that have had previous problems and they do a good job in spotting those who shouldnt go to the gate. A horse identifier at most tracks isnt the track vet. You ask about compensation, the only compensation an owner would get is if he has insurance on the horse who breaks down and that horse is euthanized, you wont see any insurance on low level claimers its not worth the cost. To prove negligence on the part of a trainer or the track itself would be very difficult.

HUSKER55
12-29-2008, 05:12 PM
tHANKS FOR THE INFO