PDA

View Full Version : PA Saratoga getaway '09

BillW
12-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Yep, it's that time again. I just received notice from NYRA Group Sales that tent tickets are on sale. Since I'm about 99% sure that I will not be making the trip this year, the job for organizing the tent seats is up for bid. It is critical that orders are placed in the next few weeks, so the time is now to step up. Any volunteers? E-mail/PM me for details.

Bill

BillW
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Yep, it's that time again. I just received notice from NYRA Group Sales that tent tickets are on sale. Since I'm about 99% sure that I will not be making the trip this year, the job for organizing the tent seats is up for bid. It is critical that orders are placed in the next few weeks, so the time is now to step up. Any volunteers? E-mail/PM me for details.

Bill

bump (let's not all jump at once, one at a time now!)

BillW
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
All taken care of, thanks guys. Now on to deciding the dates.

rrbauer
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
All taken care of, thanks guys. Now on to deciding the dates.

So, is that something to be voted on, or what? The last couple years have been during Alabama week.

BillW
01-05-2009, 11:13 PM
So, is that something to be voted on, or what? The last couple years have been during Alabama week.

The house has played a big role in the past. We've had right of first refusal on the house for the same week each year (Alabama week). Two other alternatives is find another house or blow off the house altogether. I guess there is a third alternative, the biggest guy wins :) .

andicap
01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Bill, if you're not going to be there this year, that throws the house into serious question considering we have to give a commitment in March/April (at the very latest) and that's hard to do considering how many people have dropped out in the last few years.

And I'm probably just good for a 1/2 week this year, about four days at the track over the two weekends (Sat-Sun and Fri-Sat.)

We need money in hand, not just "pledges," and references on people we don't know.

I'd love to come back to the house but only if we have it at least 2/3 filled by the time we sign the contract in early April.

Without the house I'm good for either the Alabama week or the week before that one (Aug 1-8)

andicap
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I wrote a much longer detailed note for some reason only the short version got printed and i ran out of time to edit.

So here's more:

Bottom line; a mellow, but fun week with fellow handicappers with good food, facilities, location.

I'd like to rent the house again but need enough commitments by April 1 or so --- a check in hand for 50% of your total share plus your share of the deposit. We rent out in shares and I want four total shares to go forward. If you stay for two nights, that's 1/4 of a share and you proportionately.
For more info on pricing, please email/PM me.

About 5-10 minutes from the track and downtown, the house is a 19th century Victorian with a pool, patio, grill, wi-fi, computer, printer, cable TV with the OTB Channel. Not everyone gets a room, first-come, first-serve, but there is limited amount of space otherwise. There's a driveway for a few cars (no big trucks.) and some limited on-street parking.

The reason I want references for some: In the past we have pretty much known everyone else from the board, elsewhere, etc. While we like to drink our booze and we eat well, it's not a party pen. It's a private home and we have to keep it in decent order. No rowdies, drunks, etc. It's pretty mellow, but lots of fun for a commited handicapper/horseplayer.

And while the mood of the house could change with a turnover of tenants, as long as my name is on the lease it will remain pretty calm, a place for horseplayers.

And while you don't have to eat with us, etc., you need to contribute if you eat, drink the supplies we buy. Mostly just be considerate of the others there, be civil. Come and go as you please tho.

As for money in advance, in the past a few people have swore they would show up but cancelled at the last minute, some with good reason, others because they didn't feel like going or whatever.

If you can't commit by April 1, don't fear: there is always room until we fill the house. We need 2/3 filled -- with checks -- by then. If you don't commit by April 1, however you risk

1) Cancellation of the house because of lack of interest.
2) Oversubcription, which is possible, but unlikely.

I will absolutely walk away from my stewardship of the house without enough commitments and reserve my right to cancel, etc. until April 1 as well.

rrbauer
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm on for Alabama week 15th - 22nd. Not interested in house. Will commit to helping pay for tables for the dates mentioned--let me know when money is needed--can PayPal or send check.

OTM Al
01-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I got the tables covered. Andy is making sure that the house is on hold for that week because I would like to coordinate the two, but I am going to have to move on the tables very soon regardless. This was the suggested set-up Bill sent to me

Saturday 8/15 - 2 tables
Sunday 8/16 - 2 tables
Monday 8/17 - 1 table
Tuesday 8/18 - dark
Wednesday 8/19 - 2 tables
Thursday 8/20 - 3 tables
Friday 8/21 - 3 tables
Saturday 8/22 - 3 tables
Sunday 8/23 - 1 table

Which is what I will likely go with. I will likely need someone's help collecting on the Wednesday as I will need to go home and feed and play with my parrots or they will get quite upset with me, but should be there all other days.

So input anyone. Like I said, we have to move on this soon but I'm planning on handing off a check next weekend.

andicap
01-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Havent heard back from the landlord to confirm the dates but that should be it since its the "pre-Travers" week (as opposed to Travers Week). I'll try and give him a call to just to make certain.

OTM Al
01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Alabama week is still the 4th week of the meet, so it probably is the week you have rights on the house for. Its just that there was some confusion because Labor Day is the 7th this year, the latest it can be, so it almost seems like everything is a week later (which it kind of is).

I'll probably get the reservations set next weekend when I go to the track, but I would like to get some comment from others out there if they are planning on coming that week again.

andicap
01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Didn't realize Labor Day was so late -- you're undoubtedly right since the meet doesn't commence until July 29, several days later than last year.

badcompany
01-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I've got my own accomodations. I've been staying at the same motel for many years and am very close to the owners.

However, I'm willing to bring beer and bratwurst to any bbq you guys might have.

Zaf
01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
However, I'm willing to bring beer and bratwurst to any bbq you guys might have.

Sorry friend there will be no sausage party here :lol:

Just kidding, sure the guys would love that. I will be there from Thur - Sat as usual :)

Z

Tom
01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
You kill me, Zaf! :lol:

andicap
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Dates are confirmed. Alabama Week -- assumig we can fill the house or come close.

OTM Al
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll get the tables on saturday then.

BUD
01-16-2009, 09:29 AM
MY wife wants to get me up there if for only one day-----Is there places to stay that will not be booked yet---Just so I can recharge the batteries----just for 1 night.

A day trip from worcester is to much on me? to many cramped hours in the car.

Any Ideas on How I can get this done?

Its her Idea----But I would love it to happen!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

badcompany
01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
MY wife wants to get me up there if for only one day-----Is there places to stay that will not be booked yet---Just so I can recharge the batteries----just for 1 night.

A day trip from worcester is to much on me? to many cramped hours in the car.

Any Ideas on How I can get this done?

Its her Idea----But I would love it to happen!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you go on a weekday, getting a room in one of the many motels/hotels shouldn't be problem. For weekends, you need to book way in advance. I'm talking months. However, if Saratoga is booked you can always get a room in Albany, which is about a 40 min drive from Toga.

BUD
01-16-2009, 11:48 AM
If you go on a weekday, getting a room in one of the many motels/hotels shouldn't be problem. For weekends, you need to book way in advance. I'm talking months. However, if Saratoga is booked you can always get a room in Albany, which is about a 40 min drive from Toga.

Thank You-------I think she will do that just to give me something to look forward to---

Thanks!!

BillW
01-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Thank You-------I think she will do that just to give me something to look forward to---

Thanks!!

Bud,

I agree that Albany might be a good alternative. 30-40 minute freeway drive to the track.

Best of luck with the trip - I hope you have a great time!

Tom
01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I have stayed in Albany for many years - used to have the Sartin seminars there every year. Lots of motels and restaurants (bars) right near the airport,
easy on to 87N, short drive up to the track.

JustRalph
01-16-2009, 01:32 PM
If the economy stays the way it is now...........you won't have any trouble getting a room............

badcompany
01-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks!!

No problem.

IMO, you should stay for at least two nights. This way you have one full day when you don't have to worry about travelling.

OTM Al
01-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Dropped the check off today along with detailed listing of our seat requests (yeah, I know I said Saturday, but foolish me forgot to take my checkbook...) so we should be set for the same seats as usual on the dates as listed above. Price stayed the same so it will once again be the low, low price of $5 a day per head. Trying to get some special stuff set up for those days too, so beyond the fellowship, which is more than well worth it in and of itself, we may have some fun additions. Will do a role call when we get closer to the time.

PaceAdvantage
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks so much Al for helping out in this endeavor. I am hoping to get some sort of catering going for at least part of the week (the part I'm there...LOL)

I'm also looking to get my hands on some t-shirts and/or hats to giveaway to the regulars (and not so regulars) who show up this year.

cj's dad
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Count me in.

Will try to get the other 2 of 3 clan members to join in

andicap
01-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Count me in.

Will try to get the other 2 of 3 clan members to join in

Dennis,

Are you and your "clan" making the trip this year?

cj's dad
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I made the trip last year remember.
My thoughts are to drive up the Friday before the 1st weekend and stay in Albany, and continue on to saratoga Saturday and stay thru Tuesday AM (dark day) and drive back to Baltimore on Tuesday. 3 nights.
Hoping that Craig and Justin can accompany me.
Let me know what I would owe and when you need it by,
and the dates when firm.
Craig is visiting in March btw, so anyone interested in meeting up @ Laurel Park for a day, let me know.

Dennis,

Are you and your "clan" making the trip this year?

Rookies
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Another alternative is the small towns north on 87, close to Lake George. Very inexpensive and max 30 minutes to the Spa.

JustRalph
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Another alternative is the small towns north on 87, close to Lake George. Very inexpensive and max 30 minutes to the Spa.

Inexpensive around Lake George? In the summer? Man, things must have changed in the last ten years...........

Zaf
02-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Albany is still the best deal, less than a 1/2 hour from the SPA and you can still find decent rooms for less than $100 a night.

Z

rrbauer
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Albany is still the best deal, less than a 1/2 hour from the SPA and you can still find decent rooms for less than $100 a night.

Z

I'm booked for Alabama week in Colonie (N. Albany) for $99 night.

Rookies
02-22-2009, 02:01 AM
I've paid between $85 & $125 the past 6 years Ralph !

Includes breaky...

cj's dad
02-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Can someone please post the exact dates.

OTM Al
02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
August 15-23

John
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
On Route 9N there are some nice hotels, near the Pines cottages, about a 25 mile drive to Track. Joe Prunes stays there with his girlfrend and Charlie and me stay there too. The motel is called "Island View Motel" and sits on Lake Luzerne. the rooms are clean. Last year $ 85.00 a night. They have a web site if you want to check it out.

Hope this helps.

:) :) :)

badcompany
02-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Here's a little tip for anyone planning on going up there the first week.

The hotels/motels in 'Toga aren't allowed to charge in-season rates until the track actually opens. Opening day is always on a Wednesday. So, if you arrive on Monday, those first two days will cost about 1/2 the in-season rate.

Hattie's has an all-you-can-eat special on Tuesday. It's worth going up there, just for that.

Buddha
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
What would be the estimated cost of the house? I want to make it back this year.

rrbauer
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
What would be the estimated cost of the house? I want to make it back this year.

Suggest you PM Andicap...I think that he's handling the house.

BombsAway Bob
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
if you don't mind an older motel, the TOP HILL MOTEL is on Rt.9, 5 minutes to track, 2 min. to SPAC & Saratoga Gaming & Harness. I've been going there over a decade now. It's clean, satellite TV w/ TVG(& HBO)!!!, a small pool, & it's next to PJ's BBQ.
The Malta Diner, 5 minutes south of the Top Hill on Rt.9, has great breakfasts for under $10, coffee included. And the Old JOE COLLINS Restaurant, 1/8th of a mile south of the Top Hill, reopened last year as a solid Italian restaurant; super Shrimp Scampi($15)brick-oven thin pizza($9-$13), & a fantabulous specials sheet with PRIME Filet Mignon, & DIVER Scallops($40-$45). But note, three owners have not survived a second season at the old Collins site, so check out status first.
http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/Saratoga-Motel-Pic.jpg
http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-1.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-1.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-2.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-2.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-bed-3.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-3.htm)http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-images/motel-saratoga-pool.jpg (http://www.saratogatophill.com/saratoga-motel-pics-pool.htm)
Click on Small Image to See Larger Image
www.saratogatophill.com (http://www.saratogatophill.com/)
Tell owner Ken that Bob Grant from Massachusetts sent you!

badcompany
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
if you don't mind an older motel, the TOP HILL MOTEL is on Rt.9, 5 minutes to track, 2 min. to SPAC & Saratoga Gaming & Harness. I've been going there over a decade now. It's clean, satellite TV w/ TVG(& HBO)!!!, a small pool, & it's next to PJ's BBQ.
!

From where you are, it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the big pool in the park.

Pic taken by me

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/amanda038.jpg

John
02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=BombsAway Bob]if you don't mind an older motel, the TOP HILL MOTEL is on Rt.9, 5 minutes to track, 2 min. to SPAC & Saratoga Gaming & Harness.

What Price for a night ?

BombsAway Bob
02-25-2009, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=BombsAway Bob]if you don't mind an older motel, the TOP HILL MOTEL is on Rt.9, 5 minutes to track, 2 min. to SPAC & Saratoga Gaming & Harness.
What Price for a night ?
I usually make a few Sun/Mon.trips during the meeting, & it's around $110-$130/night plus tax, depending on the room available,& how busy biz is. The Place across the street is almost double,(at least it was last year). I Love having the slot/simo palace right around the corner...lots safer ride after a looong day & night(or a cheap cabfare)!

badcompany
02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=John]
Love having the slot/simo palace right around the corner...lots safer ride after a looong day & night(or a cheap cabfare)!

They really need to get new betting machines in the simo center. That they still have the same machines from when Angel Cordero was NY's top jock, speaks volumes of their concern about horse racing relative to slots.

rrbauer
03-03-2009, 05:02 PM

What Price for a night ?

They quoted me $105 night for the week (Alabama week).

John
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=John]

They quoted me $105 night for the week (Alabama week).

I just called Top Hill Motel If you stay for 7 nights its $105 plus tax.I wanted just the week-end FRi - Sat- Sun- Including Tax $146.42 A NIGHT Too much for me.

cj's dad
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
John- I thought you were staying at Island View with Joe and Charlie?

cj, Justin and I are staying there.

joeprunes
05-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I made 2 reservations for august 19,20,21,22 at the island view I`m cancelling 1 so before I do anyone want it?....joe
The price $85 a nite

joeprunes
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Sorry its taken..someone emailed me today and took it...joe

rrbauer
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry its taken..someone emailed me today and took it...joe

So Joe, are you going to make it? I saw Maxspa in Florida and he said that he was definite this year.

My gut feel is that if you don't have anything yet for the Spa just wait until late July and see what the numbers are then. I know that last year you could get reasonable rates in N. Albany at that time and I don't see why the demand would be any higher this year.

joeprunes
05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Rich I`m booked, its the party that was coming with me that cancelled and someone took their spot already. I`m ready ,cant wait the only sad part of toga is that the fall is around the corner. I see max is coming when did you see him in florida? I missed going this year to florida I usually go to the area that max lives. I`m looking forward to seeing all, up at toga,19.20,21,22nd. Who`s your pick for the derby?.....joe

rrbauer
05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Rich I`m booked, its the party that was coming with me that cancelled and someone took their spot already. I`m ready ,cant wait the only sad part of toga is that the fall is around the corner. I see max is coming when did you see him in florida? I missed going this year to florida I usually go to the area that max lives. I`m looking forward to seeing all, up at toga,19.20,21,22nd. Who`s your pick for the derby?.....joe

I'm there 15th to 22nd. Max came to our PA day at the races at Tampa. We'll do another one next January. Derby is a mess.

joeprunes
05-03-2009, 07:56 AM
see you then.....joe

OTM Al
05-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Joe. Looking forward to seeing you again. Don't worry about the lack of messages from me during the inner. It was a long and very very bad meet. Hope yours was better.

andicap
05-06-2009, 05:47 AM
I'll only be there a few days this time -- the second weekend.

I gave up the house due to lack of interest which is hard to believe considering it was

a) very reasonably priced
b) close to the track and town
c) had a pool, patio, barbeque, wi-fi, cable, computer, printer, etc.

I think mainly tho it was a desire not to be locked into a commitment that far in advance combined with the shaky economy. I needed to know by early April and some regulars aren't making it this year. Others who used to go for the full week -- like myself -- are now just coming for half the week so it's hard to get the 4 to 6 full shares we need.

badcompany
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I was actually in 'Toga for a few days at the end of March. The mgr of the motel where I stay said that many of the motels/hotels are going to require at least a four day commitment if your stay includes weekends.

I questioned whether this was a good idea considering the state of the economy. She agreed it wasn't.

John
05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I was actually in 'Toga for a few days at the end of March. The mgr of the motel where I stay said that many of the motels/hotels are going to require at least a four day commitment if your stay includes weekends.

I questioned whether this was a good idea considering the state of the economy. She agreed it wasn't.

anything within the perimeter of the track is a Ripoff. I thought the local business had to make it in August for the whole year. That is not true!!
Most local bossiness are glad to see Sept 1,

badcompany
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
anything within the perimeter of the track is a Ripoff. I thought the local business had to make it in August for the whole year. That is not true!!
Most local bossiness are glad to see Sept 1,

The people who live there, year 'round, have a love/hate relationship with track season. They love the money it brings in, but, hate that the tourists take over the town.

andicap
05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
The people who live there, year 'round, have a love/hate relationship with track season. They love the money it brings in, but, hate that the tourists take over the town.

Just like every college town in the country. In fact Saratoga has a double whammy since it's also a college town (Skidmore), albeit a smallish university, nothing like say Ann Arbor.

John
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Yet,you stroll all over Broadway and see signs, "Saratoga Springs, The August place to be."

MaxSpa lived there most of his life. He may be able to to explain this love / hate the locals have.

Maxspa
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
All,
Thoroughbred racing has been a part of Saratoga's History and presently is an integral part of Saratoga's growth and development! Most Saratogians appreciate the benefits racing brings to the community both monetarily and socially. Businesses appreciate the added economic boost as does SPAC. If one reads the social pages in the Saratogian, one will find many individuals from the Saratoga area as well as community leaders who attend the highly visible social functions that often support local charities.
There are some drawbacks that one has to deal with as part of "The August Place To Be". Added traffic in downtown areas,on Union Avenue near the track and even accessing the Northway when daily racing is completed
challenges even the most patient individuals. Now if one is not a racing fan
these situations might require some additional positive behavior.
In summary I believe that most Saratogians welcome the racing season for all the positives that it brings to the area. They welcome the excitement that in recent years has included horse art forms in the downtown area. Parades, musical groups performing on downtown corners, give everyone including Saratogians a time to look forward to.
Maxspa

badcompany
05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Max,

Do you think all the new condos being built are gonna sell? In addition to the project where the old YMCA used to be, there's one on Henry St. as well as High Rock Ave.

Maxspa
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
BC,
I will be in Saratoga on May 28th. It'll give me an opportunity to hopefully find an answer to your question. I had the same question re: The
apartments above the Banana Republic on Broadway. Rentals were $2,000 and up but realtors managed to find people for them. However the economy was not as challenged then as it is now!
Maxspa

John
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Max

Thanks, As usual, a good read, very informative

Hope you are feeling better.

MzDucat
06-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Agree with the Lake Luzerne guys. Nice motels and a real pretty drive to the track. Might I suggest the Lamplighter Motel in South Glens Falls? John the owner is one hell of a thoroughbred handicapper, funny as all get out and has an indoor pool. Not sure of his rates but tell him your a horse player and see what you can work out. For sure you'll be able to get tomorrow's racing form at your motel instead of trying to figure out where the nearest stand is.

Lake Vanare is just above Lake Luzerne on Route 9N. Lots of sweet cabinlike motel rooms and if you head a mile up toward Lake George you can pop on the Northway and head south to the track. Boatloads better than staying in Albany (picture Newark).

If you go to the Million Dollar Beach in Lake George for a swim chat up Bags (short for money bags) at the concession to find out whos going to win a race or two at the trotters that night. One of the best harness handicappers in New England.

John
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Agree with the Lake Luzerne guys. Nice motels and a real pretty drive to the track. Might I suggest the Lamplighter Motel in South Glens Falls? John the owner is one hell of a thoroughbred handicapper, funny as all get out and has an indoor pool. Not sure of his rates but tell him your a horse player and see what you can work out. For sure you'll be able to get tomorrow's racing form at your motel instead of trying to figure out where the nearest stand is.

Lake Vanare is just above Lake Luzerne on Route 9N. Lots of sweet cabinlike motel rooms and if you head a mile up toward Lake George you can pop on the Northway and head south to the track. Boatloads better than staying in Albany (picture Newark).

If you go to the Million Dollar Beach in Lake George for a swim chat up Bags (short for money bags) at the concession to find out whos going to win a race or two at the trotters that night. One of the best harness handicappers in New England.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am all over 9N. the place I stay at is close to Glen falls.on RT9 not too far from High School Is that were you get on the Northway to go south to track.

John
06-02-2009, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=cj's dad]John- I thought you were staying at Island View with Joe and Charlie?

cj, Justin and I are staying there.[/QUOTE
__________________________________________________ _______________
Dennis, Sorry, I just read your post.

I waited late to book the Island View Motel, Nancy, [ the woman that owns the motel. ] at first told me all rooms were booked, Cabins are available and bigger rooms with kitchen. I definitely wanted a room in front. I called Joe, and luckily he reserved an extra room and gave it to Charlie and me.. [ Thanks Joe,]
Joe , also mention that there is a big house in the back, If you guys like Island View Motel. maybe we can do something with the house next year. We can inquire about the house when we get there.

Some highlights For the Island View Motel. [ bring a bathing suite and a fishing pole. ]

* Lounge on our sunny private beach and enjoy the serenity of the surrounding mountains, then refresh yourself with a cool dip in our spring-fed lake.

*Bring along your fishing pole and match wits with our wily sunfish, perch, bass, and lake trout which are stocked annually.

* Later, enjoy a stroll downtown past the Old Mill Park with its gentle waterfalls. Visit the Kinnear Museum of Local History and drop by Papa's Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor which overlooks the Hudson River.

I am not sure but I think there is BB'Q pits in back near the lake. I will ask Nancy.

Charlie and I are excited and can't wait for August to come. Looking forward to seeing you and the boys.

matthewsiv
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Guys

Is there any seats left at the tables for each day?

I would only be coming to join you.

BillW
06-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Guys

Is there any seats left at the tables for each day?

I would only be coming to join you.

There are always seats at the PA toga party! :)

John
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
There are always seats at the PA toga party! :)

Bill, you will be missed this year by all.

MzDucat
06-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Would love to meet and drink with you guys a night or two, but my boss is the head of the money room and he'll need therapy if I take a day off. Might risk it though, haven't done that in 15 years.

Not sure where I'll be. Could play the senority card but everybody knows senority is just window dressing. Upstaters have no intrinsic value.

Will post to friends when I know. It really is the best party meet. Not always the best betting meet. You really need to do your homework to walk out a winner here.

MzDucat
06-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Worst Saratoga days are the friggin giveaway days. Be prepared to stand outside in outrageous lines being yelled at by the local cops while rent-a-cops tell you something different. Have been trying to get an express entrance lane for gamblers who just want to get in to bet the first race.

The blanket and chairs were the worst days. On the way out the oil drum garbage cans were chock full of broken chairs. Seems you weigh more than 150 in Taiwan you're unusual. The handicapping seminars at Siros can be good though. Nicky Kling is usually the most inciteful for having a live mount.

Oklahoma track used to be open to watch workouts. Not so much anymore.
We've been micromanaged since the indictments.

One turf tip, though...

Before the meet the inside turf course at Oklahoma is only used on Wednesdays. The second the meet opens it is used every day. Once heard Billy Mott trying to get one of the track superintendant guys to limit the use to keep it a true surface. No luck there. But he wasn't wrong.

So, take into account that a turf horse's workouts prior to the meet opening will be more indicative of his form. If he is valuable they will work him more cautiously once the surface looks like a polo field before we stomp the divots down. It really does get torn up with daily use. Walked every inch of it over the years. Did the jumpers so I really recognize lousy footing. No amount of maintenence replaces resting the course occasionally.

John
06-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Mzduct, thanks for the cappin nuggets. Its appreciated. a 30 day meet is always tough, especially the turf. Horses come from everywhere to run on the turf.

Let us know what window you are at. We will come by and say hello.

OTM Al
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm sure there will be room. Always good to make new friends. I figured I'd call for a roll call to get an idea who would be there when starting next week as the TC season will be over and thoughts begin to drift up north. I can't wait to get back up there either. Don't post when you'll be there in this thread (unless you do it in the roll call thread as well) for the PA week. I'll put the thread up Monday so I can see it all in one place.

OTM Al
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Worst Saratoga days are the friggin giveaway days. Be prepared to stand outside in outrageous lines being yelled at by the local cops while rent-a-cops tell you something different. Have been trying to get an express entrance lane for gamblers who just want to get in to bet the first race.

They have that at the main entrance at least as I went through it last year myself. Alternatively, if its an English racing day, you can come in even earlier and watch some really big fields go at it on the green and not have to worry about the lines at all.

rrbauer
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Good Al, have you or will you post how many tables we have on which days?

Thanks.

rrbauer
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
They have that at the main entrance at least as I went through it last year myself. Alternatively, if its an English racing day, you can come in even earlier and watch some really big fields go at it on the green and not have to worry about the lines at all.

And, have a Guinness or two!

:)

OTM Al
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Good Al, have you or will you post how many tables we have on which days?

Thanks.

The numbers I reserved are somewhere above in the thread. I haven't gotten the "official" conformation yet, but I have been assured they are in the computer and all will be ok. I know there are some real issues right now with the ticketing systems which should be resolved come next year, but this year we still have to deal. They cashed my check anyway, so they owe us!

rrbauer
06-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Found it!

Saturday 8/15 - 2 tables
Sunday 8/16 - 2 tables
Monday 8/17 - 1 table
Tuesday 8/18 - dark
Wednesday 8/19 - 2 tables
Thursday 8/20 - 3 tables
Friday 8/21 - 3 tables
Saturday 8/22 - 3 tables
Sunday 8/23 - 1 table

Maxspa
06-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Bad Company,
I just returned from Saratoga! The place appears busy with traffic, business and even building (homes, condos etc.) in and around the city. The
park including SPAC, The Golf Course, Gideon Putnam, and Baths were being readied for the summer season with many cleanup crews working feverishly to present Saratogians and visitors alike with their functional beauty.
The Hampton Inn Condo's on Henry Street are in the process of being built with the basic structures visible. The projected finishing date is sometime in 2010.
Overlooking Congress Park, on the site of the old YMCA, condos and businesses are in the process of being built on the property as well. However, I was told by an old timer that they will be beautiful but very expensive.
There are some signs of the difficult economic times in the headlines of the city newspaper " The Saratogian." Police, Fire Employees Rally, Council to cut budget but few jobs. The rally was complete with signs stating "Say NO to Public Safety Cuts" and "Protect Essential Services".
You can bet though, that Saratoga will be ready for the 2009 Racing Season.
See you at the PA gathering,
Maxspa

MzDucat
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Guys, where on the track are your tables? If you tell me ahead I can request that area. And I haven't worked a window in years at toga. Worked one at the Preakness last two years on the same machine I worked in '84 thru '86, back when I parked my dinosaur next to Fred Flintstones. But my so called senority number at Saratoga is 3 so maybe I'll see if I can be stationed near you guys.

I do get good info-half the guys here knew me as a kid. Held horses for vets and farriers for money to keep my horses. But I haven't placed a bet on a horse at Saratoga since Elliot Spitzer had state troopers pretend to be drug dealers and tried to talk the guys into money laundering. So don't offer to get me a ticket-won't risk embarassing my boss by betting at the meet. But I am allowed to take tips-no jewelry thou-the big guy gives me that "What have you been up to now" look. ;)

Here's a clue guys-real dealers tell you they have a pizza delivery business, an import/export business, one even told me he was an indoor shrimp farmer.
When you say I'm a drug dealer, yeah we know you're a local leo.

Last year the head supervisor wanted me to put in to be a supervisor, but I love the head of the money room. Bob is honest, funny, fair and always has my back. Treats his dealers great. Herbie and Bob were the only completely honest vault bosses out of the 20 or more I've worked with, all different venues. (forgot Glen-he was pretty good too).I've quit the room and gone back to a window to keep my soul a dozen times. Also, been there, done that at the track across the street. Supervisors always have someone trying to shiv them careerwise. Especially female ones. So I think I'm safer as a mini-dealer. But I'll give you guys mardi gras beads and any legit horse info and even the fastest and best clerk locations. Maybe I can get the handle up :)

cj's dad
06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Main entrance to the right past the rest rooms and its the white and red striped tent.

badcompany
06-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Bad Company,
I just returned from Saratoga! The place appears busy with traffic, business and even building (homes, condos etc.) in and around the city. The
park including SPAC, The Golf Course, Gideon Putnam, and Baths were being readied for the summer season with many cleanup crews working feverishly to present Saratogians and visitors alike with their functional beauty.
The Hampton Inn Condo's on Henry Street are in the process of being built with the basic structures visible. The projected finishing date is sometime in 2010.
Overlooking Congress Park, on the site of the old YMCA, condos and businesses are in the process of being built on the property as well. However, I was told by an old timer that they will be beautiful but very expensive.
There are some signs of the difficult economic times in the headlines of the city newspaper " The Saratogian." Police, Fire Employees Rally, Council to cut budget but few jobs. The rally was complete with signs stating "Say NO to Public Safety Cuts" and "Protect Essential Services".
You can bet though, that Saratoga will be ready for the 2009 Racing Season.
See you at the PA gathering,
Maxspa

Cool report, Max.

Ironically, I just got back from Toga, myself. I took a few days off and went up there. The place definitely looks great, and was really busy. In fact, the motel where I stayed was sold out for the weekend because of the Americade bike tour in Lake George.

The big story up there was definitely the budget cuts.

As an aside, I found a great breakfast joint called the Country Cafe, on Church St. right around the corner from the bank. Great pancakes and homefries.

I did notice alot of Real Estate signs in front of houses and Apartment Complexes. It's definitely a buyers and renters market. I'm guessing the Congress Park condos will be ready by Spring 2010. At a million plus a pop, they could be a tough sell. They're definitely not presold.

See everyone up there.