PDA

View Full Version : Horrible News to Pass On

boomman
12-25-2008, 04:45 PM
The death of a young person is horrible at any time, but especially on Christmas Day. Our thoughts and prayers go out to jockey Sam Thompson's family and friends............

Boomer

Sad News from Los Al
JOCKY SAM THOMPSON DIES

December 25, 2008 - Jockey Sam Thompson, who was critically injured during a race at Los Alamitos December 20, died early this morning. Thompson spent the last few days on life support, surrounded by friends and family. When he began to fail, the decision was made to remove the life support. His family has chosen to make him an organ donor.

Thompson, 36, was riding first-time starter Harems Dynasty in a 300-yard maiden race for 2-year-olds. A full sister to champions Royal Quick Dash and First Sovereign, Harems Dynasty fell after the wire.

Thompson recently returned to the saddle after missing most of the 2008 season while recovering from a broken foot. Through December 15, he’d won 12 races from 91 mounts at Los Alamitos and stood in 20th place in the track’s American Quarter Horse jockey standings.

Further details will be forthcoming as they become available.

Tom
12-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Very sad news, especially today.
His family will forever have that sad memory on this day.
Prayers to them all.

BombsAway Bob
12-25-2008, 06:19 PM
a tragic story.. the trainer of Harem's Dynasty was one of Sam's best friends & golfing buddies, has to be gut-wrenching for him as well. (from losal.com)
http://www.losalamitos.com/laqhr/inc/images/ThompsonS.jpg

Sam Thompson

Thompson, a winner of 600 Quarter Horse races in his Los Alamitos career, won the Los Alamitos Million Futurity in 1997 with champion This Snow Is Royal and 1999 with champion Corona Kool. He also piloted champions Tiny First Effort, Corona Cash and Deelish to name a few. His recent major victories include the 2007 Go Man Go Handicap with FDD Dynasty, the 2006 PCQHRA Breeders Futurity with Tac It Like A Man and the 2006 Rainbow Futurity with Big Time Hero. Thompson ranks 16th all-time at Los Alamitos with 55 stakes victories. Thompson's 2008 season was curtailed for a large portion of the year due to a broken foot. He won 12 races from 100 starts and earned $131,651 at this meeting.

jimmy m
12-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Very sad, last year at this time it was Dale Baird now this year it is Sam Thompson.I was very fortunate to get to call Sam while he was riding at Ruidoso and when i filled in at Los Al terrible news.My thoughts are with his family Jimmy

Marshall Bennett
12-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Terrible news . From what I read in a DRF article after it happened I knew it wasn't good . My thoughts and prayers to the family . God bless his soul !!

peakpros
12-26-2008, 09:19 AM
tremendous athletes who risk it all every day...

may he rest in peace...

BUD
12-26-2008, 09:36 AM
.....prayers......for his left behind....grieving ,sad and distraught.....

CryingForTheHorses
12-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Very sad news indeed,Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends :(

ALostTexan
12-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Very, very sad news.

toetoe
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
:( .

He had much success with Donna MacArthur, as I recall.

R.I.P., Sam.

strapper
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
My sympathies to the Thompson family. Way too young to lose this talented quarter horse rider.