PDA

View Full Version : Everyone, buy a package of Archway cookies if you can...

Hooligan
12-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Shuttered bakery reopens, rehires workers

ASHLAND, Ohio (CNN) -- An Ohio bakery shut down in October is bustling again, with 60 eager employees who had expected a Christmas on the unemployment rolls.

Some 300 workers lost their jobs when the Archway cookie factory in Ashland, Ohio, was suddenly closed by the private equity firm that owned it. The workers also were left without benefits like health insurance.

But then Lance Inc., a Charlotte, North Carolina-based snack food company, purchased Archway at a bankruptcy auction. And last week 60 workers were asked to return immediately, with perhaps more coming back in the months ahead.

Story Highlights
Archway bakery suddenly closed doors in October, throwing some 300 out of work
Lance snack food company steps in, buys Archway at bankruptcy auction
New owner gives each laid-off worker a prepaid $1,500 debit card
Company rehires 60 workers, says more will regain jobs if orders keep coming in

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/cookie.factory.reopens/index.html

boxcar
12-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Their product was pretty decent, too, as I recall. I hope this is the big break that will get them through this difficult period.

Boxcar

JustRalph
12-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Giving them all a debit card was a nice touch.

Tom
12-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I've been eating Archway cookies for years. Love the molasses. Just like Grandma used to make.

I will eat as many of them as possible from now on! :rolleyes:

(I've enjoyed Lance snacks as long as I remember, too!)

NJ Stinks
12-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll pick some up this weekend!:ThmbUp:

wonatthewire1
12-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Can only say good things about Lance...

Interesting that a "investment manager" closed down Archway after buying it and running it into the ground...

Tom
12-27-2008, 03:21 PM
When you seat accountants at the table, it is time to buy padlocks and plywood.

There is a reason MLB doesn't allow the official scorer any at bats.

Hooligan
12-27-2008, 08:02 PM
today, at Giant Eagle, they are pretty good and I'll be buying some more, the display area for the cookies looked brand new and it looked like about half the cookies were already sold, I'd like to see all three hundred people get their jobs back!

wonatthewire1
12-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Picked up a bunch of boxes this morning for the office party on Wednesday - did notice that the packaging has changed a little.

Good prices too - maybe some word of mouth advertising will help them expand the business

boxcar
12-28-2008, 01:43 PM
When you seat accountants at the table, it is time to buy padlocks and plywood.

There is a reason MLB doesn't allow the official scorer any at bats.

Most Bean Counters seem to have very little business sense.

Boxcar

miesque
12-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Ah yes, the glitzy and glamourous world of being a bean counter, full of power, prestige and influence. Gee, I wonder why nobody wants to be an accountant nowadays, you would think people would be falling overthemselves to be in such a position of such dominating control? :confused:

On a more serious note, I have found Archway to be good value oriented option for traditional cookies but since they don't have the advertising muscle or gimmicks or say Keebler and their elves, they are a brand that is very much under the radar.

toetoe
12-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Nice news. :ThmbUp: