PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's televised NFL games

Marshall Bennett
12-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Seems strange that the final week of the regular season is crammed into one day this Sunday . There are several good games , its a shame they will share the same kickoff time . If I'm not mistakened in years past , two games were played each Saturday towards the end of the season as well as a Monday night final game . Unless its a conflict of interest with networks covering bowl games , I can't imagine why they're doing this .

Valuist
12-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Seems strange that the final week of the regular season is crammed into one day this Sunday . There are several good games , its a shame they will share the same kickoff time . If I'm not mistakened in years past , two games were played each Saturday towards the end of the season as well as a Monday night final game . Unless its a conflict of interest with networks covering bowl games , I can't imagine why they're doing this .

I've heard they are doing this to avoid the potential of additional teams "laying down". For instance; the Bears and Vikings are both alive in the NFC North; their chances at a wildcard are small so if one played early and won, the other team likely would mail it in. Obviously, they can't avoid it altogether as a team like the Colts, who's already a wildcard, have nothing to gain and figure to play backups for most of the game.

ezrabrooks
12-26-2008, 11:57 AM

I think it has something to do with the NFL Network games..

Ez

Valuist
12-26-2008, 12:27 PM
There's no NFL Network games this week (fortunately).

cj's dad
12-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I think the possibility is that since the NFL has aligned itself with ESPN and all of todays and last Saturdays bowl games were on ESPN or ESPN2, the NFL agreed not to conflict with the bowl games. Who would watch college games if the pros are on other than alumni and students maybe.

Also, I do agree with the Saturday pro games creating a "meaningless" situation in some of Sundays games. An example would be that if NE played today and lost, the Ravens would be in and tomorrows game would be like a bye week; attendance and Tv audience down as well as concessions etc....

Marshall Bennett
12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the possibility is that since the NFL has aligned itself with ESPN and all of todays and last Saturdays bowl games were on ESPN or ESPN2, the NFL agreed not to conflict with the bowl games.
I beleive this is the more likely reason . It may be noted that while the NBA schedules games on Christmas day , Thursday evening was open . Just seems that 16 games on a given day is overkill .