PDA

View Full Version : Questions about reading U.K. racing post

andicap
12-23-2008, 06:54 AM
I received a key to reading The Reading Post from the editor a while ago and finally cracked it yesterday as I went to Kempton Park outside London.
It was extremely informative but I have two questions about reading the paper.

1. The key referred to a rating called "Postmark," seemed to be a form-based rating related to speed and/or class. It has been replaced with the "RPR" rating. Is this the same RPR rating that is used in the Daily Racing Form?
How is it different than the old "Postmark" rating and what is it based on?

2. Topspeed rating. In the past performances from each horse it lists their "TS" rating from that race. On another page there is the Postform and Topspeed chart, a very handy way of looking at the race.

BUT, the Topspeed rating giving for each horse is significantly different in the past performances than in the chart. I presume there is some kind of adjustment involved. Can anyone explain it to me and give me their opinion of the Topspeed rating.

I found the RPR rating to be a pretty good launching pad for starting my handicapping and used it in combination with looking at class (against which group did the horse run his best against). Trip, draw (post), and to some extent speed. I found I ran aground when I looked at trainer/jockey stuff -- i presume you have to get much more indepth to really handicap on that basis.

I tried to do some elementary pace handicapping but trying to figure out if a horse was a front-runner, presser, closer type and seeing if races would give advantage to a counterhorse. It's doable but more difficult.

Anyway it was great fun and betting very lightly managed to come out ahead a bit.

gm10
12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I received a key to reading The Reading Post from the editor a while ago and finally cracked it yesterday as I went to Kempton Park outside London.
It was extremely informative but I have two questions about reading the paper.

1. The key referred to a rating called "Postmark," seemed to be a form-based rating related to speed and/or class. It has been replaced with the "RPR" rating. Is this the same RPR rating that is used in the Daily Racing Form?
How is it different than the old "Postmark" rating and what is it based on?

2. Topspeed rating. In the past performances from each horse it lists their "TS" rating from that race. On another page there is the Postform and Topspeed chart, a very handy way of looking at the race.

BUT, the Topspeed rating giving for each horse is significantly different in the past performances than in the chart. I presume there is some kind of adjustment involved. Can anyone explain it to me and give me their opinion of the Topspeed rating.

I found the RPR rating to be a pretty good launching pad for starting my handicapping and used it in combination with looking at class (against which group did the horse run his best against). Trip, draw (post), and to some extent speed. I found I ran aground when I looked at trainer/jockey stuff -- i presume you have to get much more indepth to really handicap on that basis.

I tried to do some elementary pace handicapping but trying to figure out if a horse was a front-runner, presser, closer type and seeing if races would give advantage to a counterhorse. It's doable but more difficult.

Anyway it was great fun and betting very lightly managed to come out ahead a bit.

RPR is the Racing Post rating. I don't think it's the same as what you see in DRF.com which is Timeform if I'm not mistaken (same scale, though).

TS is indeed the Topspeed rating. I think the chart you are looking at takes the weights for today's race into account, whereas the TS ratings in the pp's are all normalized to some base weight. (not sure about this, but I think so)

Charlie D
12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
The RPR you see on DRF PP is the same as you see in Racing Post

Andicap, why not write back to the editor and ask him these questions, I'm sure you'll get the answers your looking for

signed

a frustrated and fed up US racing fan

gm10
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
RPR

http://thebettingsite.racingpost.co.uk/news/show_story.sd?story_uid=915157

TS

http://thebettingsite.racingpost.co.uk/news/show_story.sd?story_uid=915158

and you were right about RPR being on DRF

http://www.drf.com/products/rpr/rpr.html

JeremyJet
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
RPR is the Racing Post rating. I don't think it's the same as what you see in DRF.com which is Timeform if I'm not mistaken (same scale, though).

TS is indeed the Topspeed rating. I think the chart you are looking at takes the weights for today's race into account, whereas the TS ratings in the pp's are all normalized to some base weight. (not sure about this, but I think so)

The Racing Form no longer publishes the Timeform ratings. They now utilize the Racing Post ratings.

Regards,

JeremyJet

andicap
12-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the help and the links. The RPR was pretty decent at Kempton when I went -- of course you have to use other factors -- but they are a good place to start.