12-23-2008, 05:48 AM
any here use a mac? thoughts?

BillW
12-23-2008, 09:49 AM
What do you need it for?

raybo
12-23-2008, 04:05 PM
What do you need it for?

That's the key, for most users a decent PC is all they need and the cost differential is substantial.

Macs are very good computers, for sure, and some would never use anything else. But, if price and value are important to you, a PC is the only way to go.

The vast majority of programs and applications are written for PC, which is something else a potential Mac buyer should consider first.

judd
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
a friend just bought a desktop and loves it -said not difficult at all

judd
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
What do you need it for?
what difference does that make-explain

BillW
12-23-2008, 08:23 PM
what difference does that make-explain

That's like someone asking "Anyone here drive a Chevy?"

If you want to run Windows software I would suggest not looking at a Mac. If you are interested in writing or video editing/production the Mac is really strong. If you're just interested in reading e-mail and surfing the web, either will do etc.

judd
12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
are they as good as they say

raybo
12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
are they as good as they say

As BillW said, if your emphasis is on graphics applications that are very intense, then Mac is THE machine. For almost anything else Macs are just computers, only they cost a great deal more than PCs, and software limitations are real, not just talk. Personally, I'd love to have a Mac, but I'd keep my PC and I would use the PC ten times more often, because everything I do on a computer is Windows based.

It depends on what your usage will be. If you plan on using it for everyday tasks: email, internet, office applications, budgeting, running handicapping software, wagering online, etc., etc., then why spend more than you need to?

If all you need is well performing, dependable, economical transportation, why would you buy a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, or a Lexus for that matter? If money is no object and you just want a Mac, then, by all means, buy one.

judd
12-24-2008, 05:35 AM
As BillW said, if your emphasis is on graphics applications that are very intense, then Mac is THE machine. For almost anything else Macs are just computers, only they cost a great deal more than PCs, and software limitations are real, not just talk. Personally, I'd love to have a Mac, but I'd keep my PC and I would use the PC ten times more often, because everything I do on a computer is Windows based.

It depends on what your usage will be. If you plan on using it for everyday tasks: email, internet, office applications, budgeting, running handicapping software, wagering online, etc., etc., then why spend more than you need to?

If all you need is well performing, dependable, economical transportation, why would you buy a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, or a Lexus for that matter? If money is no object and you just want a Mac, then, by all means, buy one.
thanks (i drive an infinity)

raybo
12-24-2008, 07:26 AM

I think we know what you'll do then.:)

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

JustRalph
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
you guys are funny............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

raybo
12-24-2008, 02:01 PM

It's obvious that we live in different worlds. I'm not suggesting that you are wealthy, and I'm not suggesting that I'm poor. Many people that are wealthy buy products, such as your Infinity, because they currently can afford it. Many people who are not even close to being wealthy buy products, like your Infinity, because they want them not because they need them, even if they probably shouldn't, economically speaking.

Personally, I drive a '94 Ford Ranger, and have done so for several years, not because I can't currently afford something more luxurious or more expensive, but because I prefer to live below my means and because I don't like working on vehicles or paying for maintenance. The Ranger has never given me any serious trouble, I do my own routine maintenance because I know it's done right and I understand how to work on it, other than having electronic ignition and fuel injection, which I do not know how to work on nor would I want to, it's very simple to maintain. I get 30 mpg highway and around 25 mpg city. I have no truck payment, do not need full coverage insurance, and it gets me where I need or want to go just as quickly as the law allows. I'm not trying to impress anyone by driving something fancier.

Basically, the vehicle does all I need it to do.

I own a medium powered PC for the same reasons. I don't need anything else.

judd
12-25-2008, 10:51 PM
It's obvious that we live in different worlds. I'm not suggesting that you are wealthy, and I'm not suggesting that I'm poor. Many people that are wealthy buy products, such as your Infinity, because they currently can afford it. Many people who are not even close to being wealthy buy products, like your Infinity, because they want them not because they need them, even if they probably shouldn't, economically speaking.

Personally, I drive a '94 Ford Ranger, and have done so for several years, not because I can't currently afford something more luxurious or more expensive, but because I prefer to live below my means and because I don't like working on vehicles or paying for maintenance. The Ranger has never given me any serious trouble, I do my own routine maintenance because I know it's done right and I understand how to work on it, other than having electronic ignition and fuel injection, which I do not know how to work on nor would I want to, it's very simple to maintain. I get 30 mpg highway and around 25 mpg city. I have no truck payment, do not need full coverage insurance, and it gets me where I need or want to go just as quickly as the law allows. I'm not trying to impress anyone by driving something fancier.

Basically, the vehicle does all I need it to do.

I own a medium powered PC for the same reasons. I don't need anything else.
you only go around once in this life

JustRalph
12-26-2008, 10:34 AM
This thread has surpassed its Sardonic limit. Please close!

raybo
12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
This thread has surpassed its Sardonic limit. Please close!

You can unsubscribe from this thread, you're not required to read it.

judd
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM

while wife went into pottery barn store sat i deceided to go into apple store while she went into pottery and i couldnt beleve the crown in store(apple) must be something these macs attract people

raybo
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
while wife went into pottery barn store sat i deceided to go into apple store while she went into pottery and i couldnt beleve the crown in store(apple) must be something these macs attract people

Crown? What does that mean?

judd
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
correction--the crowd (huge)

raybo
01-04-2009, 02:51 PM
correction--the crowd (huge)

Yeah, they are good computers, if not overpriced, and they sure are pretty, too. :)

judd
01-16-2009, 05:24 AM
raybo, what kind of computor do you have?

raybo
01-16-2009, 06:34 AM
raybo, what kind of computor do you have?

Compaq Presario PC SR5505F
AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual Core 64 Bit
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE/nForce430 1000 Mhz Bus
160 GB 7200 SATA 300
4GB DDR2 6400 800 Mhz RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium

I bought it from Frys.com last year for $249. It came with 1GB RAM, I added 3GB.

RaceBookJoe
01-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I really love my IMac....we have 2 Imac's , 1 MacBookPro and 2 PCs. Like said above...if you just do internet/email stuff, pcs are much more affordable, but even still the Macs are much quicker. I use my 24" Imac for recording music using ProTools and it is unbeatable. What bummed me out was that my stock trading platform doesnt or at least at the time i signed up didnt support the Mac platform, so i ended up buying an HP Pavilion laptop for $600, so there are some limitations using a Mac. rbj

judd
01-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I really love my IMac....we have 2 Imac's , 1 MacBookPro and 2 PCs. Like said above...if you just do internet/email stuff, pcs are much more affordable, but even still the Macs are much quicker. I use my 24" Imac for recording music using ProTools and it is unbeatable. What bummed me out was that my stock trading platform doesnt or at least at the time i signed up didnt support the Mac platform, so i ended up buying an HP Pavilion laptop for $600, so there are some limitations using a Mac. rbj
i never thought about macs untill friend bought desktop, beautifull looking computor now with your reply im seriously looking into one