PDA

View Full Version : Keenland Returns

linrom1
04-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Folks, you know that after a dull winter real racing begins when Jerry Bailey rides on a daily basis at Keenland. This is why I am still in the game.

cj
04-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Speed, speed, and more speed...I love it!

Not to mention some horse will look good winning the Blue Grass on the front end and be way overbet 3 weeks later while some horse floundering around behind him will be way underbet that same day.

CJ

sq764
04-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Speed, speed and more speed?

Evangeline starts Friday too..

A deep closer won there once..Way back when...

Tennessee
04-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Me and two other Kentucky Downs regulars will be at Keeneland opening weekend. If anyone from PA wants to meet up please let me know.

Kentucky Bred
04-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Folks, there are a few tracks around the country that kick my butt (ROI speaking) and Keeneland (Spring or Fall) does that just about every single year. I know why...I'm a longshot bettor and that is a way to the poorhouse during most meetings a Keeneland. Every single day you will see horses that you think look pretty good and have a shot hammered down to odds-on. Every other horse in the race is great value. But the bet down horse romps. One meeting the favorite win rate for part of the meet was over 40%! Tough way to make a living in my books.
Inside horses with speed just kill. Watch the Blue Grass Stakes and see if any horse tries to close going wide into the stretch. Even if that horse finishes 3rd or 4th while closing...he is live in the Derby. Most horses die trying to go wide. Bailey and Day know this well. Even when Day has to close, he positions the horse so that he is only going two wide. When he doesn't get there, he usually loses.

But here is the kicker...I don't care if I lose. It is true. Going 10 times in a 3 week meet is really an honor. If you have never been to Keeneland in the springtime, you are missing something special. If you are nearby in Louisville, Cincy or even Indy or Knoxville, go the extra effort to get there. I try not to bet too much because I know what is going to happen and I just can't make myself bet 3-1 shots that are 3-5 on the board!! Even when they win.

BTW, just a note of total trivia. Keeneland Race Course is the only track in the country that is named "Race Course" instead of racetrack. Also, the story of the track and how it was built with some public but mostly private money and the financial problems it had staying open is really a cool story. Now it is a financial powerhouse making 5% from every horse that runs through that famous sales ring that was built right next to the race course. During anytime of the year, you will see workers there painting and re-painting that Keeneland green color everywhere. They plow a lot of that money right back onto the track. They work all year in order to race a total of less than six weeks. It's the best of what live racing can be now in this country.

Kentucky Bred

Kentucky Bred
04-03-2003, 10:06 PM
if you go. Arrive before the gates open and go to the Keeneland kitchen in the barn area. It is for the horseman/trainers but it is completely open to the public as is the barn areas...no passes and security like most tracks.

The food is fantastic. I defy anyone to find better biscuits and gravy or a better breakfast for a few bucks. The atmosphere is cool too. Just look like you belong there and have a couple of million set aside for a few good horses. Nobody will ever know.

See you at the Bluegrass. (can ya tell I'm ready?)

Kentucky Bred

Rico8812
04-05-2003, 06:16 PM
HEY KY Bred, your quote that read: "BTW, just a note of total trivia. Keeneland Race Course is the only track in the country that is named "Race Course" instead of racetrack" is wrong.

There's this old track in NY called Saratoga Race Course. As a matter of fact, its the oldest track in North America. That means Keeneland copied Saratoga when they decided on Race Course.

Dan Montilion
04-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Bay Meadows also has the Racecourse tag line. Never had the pleasure of a visit to Keeneland but I used to love that track announcer they had their about 10 or 12 years ago. Ah... the sounds of silence.

Dan Montilion

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Hawthorne Race Course

Kentucky Bred
04-05-2003, 06:57 PM
OK, Ok, jees pile on why don't you. (LOL) Well, hell that's what they told me when I took the tour and on their special movie. I guess I'm just a sucker for a good movie. (Ha Ha)

Maybe Saratoga changed their name recently? (Grabbing for straws, aren't I?)

I will get more info from their marketing office and report back early next week. Somebody is telling stories.

But the track still is great and the breakfast is super.

Kentucky Bred

Zaf
04-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Kentucky Bred
OK, Ok, jees pile on why don't you. (LOL)

:D :D Calder Race Course :D :D

ZAFONIC

Tom
04-05-2003, 08:07 PM
The old Detroit Race Course :rolleyes: :p :cool:

rastajenk
04-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Maybe they meant to say it's the only race course with "Keeneland" in its name.:)

IRISHLADSTABLE
04-07-2003, 10:04 AM
NEVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF GOING TO THE TRACK.
I'VE BEEN TO NUMEROUS RACE TRACKS AS A FAN AN AS AN OWNER BUT NEVER KEENELAND. ON SATURDAY'S CARD I PLAYED
4 RACES AND HAD 3 WINNERS . I CAN LIVE WITH THAT PERCENTAGE . P.S THE BISCUITS AND GRAVY SOUND GREAT

JIMMY / ILS

tanda
04-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Penn National Race Course.

Actually, it is "Race Track" and not "Race Course" which is rare.

"Downs", "Park", "Field" and "Race Course" are the most common.

tanda
04-08-2003, 07:14 PM
By the way, if you visit Keeneland, you should head north when you are done.

The tour guide at Beulah Park said that is the only track with Beulah in its name.

Zaf
04-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by tanda
By the way, if you visit Keeneland, you should head north when you are done.

The tour guide at Beulah Park said that is the only track with Beulah in its name.

And its the only track with Katie & Jenna :D :D :D

ZAFONIC

Tom
04-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
And its the only track with Katie & Jenna :D :D :D

ZAFONIC

The final four!

Shacopate
04-08-2003, 11:47 PM
I fully understand and share KY Bred's affection and appreciation for Keeneland. It's a real treat seeing world class horses being saddled under glorious trees instead of stuffy stalls.

The open grandstand is awesome, but make sure you get tickets near the finish line under a monitor.

The track kitchen also has betting windows and you might find yourself rubbing elbows with a groom who is putting last weeks paycheck on his beloved charge. This happened last time I was there and it lit up the board at 25-1. Did I have it? No.

Any race fan could spend all day in the Keeneland library (a separate facility off the airport entrance) and it's definitely worth a look.

After the races check out Joe Bologna's. Just take a left coming out of the track and take it right into town. Past Rupp Arena, just shy of the UK campus. Best damn Italian food I've ever had.

The only problem I have with Keeneland is in the off-season.

Where is the simulcastiing facility that was promised five years ago? We were supposed to get the sales pavillion after they built
the new center for yearling sales but that never happened.

Bottom line though, Keeneland is a great racing experience.

Great for handicappers too, just look for closers that make there presence felt on the far turn and fade. Then bet them at Churchill.

Kentucky Bred
04-09-2003, 12:29 PM
In my continuing interests to promote truth in postings, I called the publicity department for Keeneland and asked about the "racecourse" controversy. I was told that I must have misunderstood the uniqueness of the Keeneland Racecourse name. They confirmed that there are many tracks in the country that have adopted the "racecourse" name. Keeneland is NOT the only one in the country as I originally stated.

In the future I plan to investigate and confirm my facts a bit better before posting.

Shacopate--It was reported that Keeneland had secured the financing, at one point, for a state-of-the-art Simulcast facility. It was in the papers a few years back. I personally think that this type of expenditure makes more sense once the slots go in and Keeneland has been a pretty solid opponent of slots up to now. They got close to throwing their support but backed off. Still, the price (free) is good and the view is still great even on snowy days.

Kentucky Bred