PDA

View Full Version : TP Analyzer

AlanBaze
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Hello, I just downloaded TP Analyzer to try for a 15 Day Trial. It uses BRIS and TSN. I already use Race Prophet. I am wondering how to use the zip files for both . Is there a special way for TP Analyzer, because when I try it says is not a valid integer. Any suggestions?

Roger
12-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Have you tried renaming the file..
Aqu1221.PCS..The TSN file(Procaps)
to
Aqu1221.DRF.......should work!

Roger
12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Alan..I'm having second thoughts about the compatability of TP analyzer and TSN files...It's been awhile since I have used the Program, but I do believe it uses BRIS or TRACKMASTER files exclusively..It probably will run TSN files by renaming it, but will omit much of the numbers in the calculations. If I remember correctly it showed all zero's in the split time calculations.

Roger,

headhawg
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
To each his own, Alan, but there is much better software than TP Analyzer out there. When I was a handicapping software junkie I tried everything and I really can't find anything to recommend about TPA. But if you get it to work, give it a real serious trial before you spend your money on it.

AlanBaze
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
From what I'm hearing I might be waisting my time with TP Analyzer. I really have appreciated Race Prophet so far and was just looking for something that may be better? Any suggestions, Thank you ALAN BAZE. :)

AlanBaze
12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you Hedgehodge, have any suggestions?

Alan Baze :)

headhawg
12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
How much money do you want to spend, AB? Probably the three most popular "serious" programming tools are HTR, Jcapper, and HSH. Of those, I think that HTR is free but you have to use HDW files at around $130/month. Jcapper is $700 but uses Bris data (@$1.00 per file plus .25 for the results), so if you have other programs that use Bris there is no extra cost to use the data files for the other programs. HSH is around the same money, I think, plus the monthly data file fee (from HDW?).

Suppose the amount of money doesn't scare you off. Then there's still the learning curve. I have never used HSH but I know that it is a complex software tool that could take months to learn how to use, and even longer to make it profitable. When Jcapper first came out I played around with the trial version. I really liked it, and should have bought it then, but ultimately decided that I did not have the time to dedicate to developing UDMs, which are basically user-created models based on Jeff P's proprietary factors plus the data elements found in the Bris datafiles. I guess this would be considered "data mining", and, again, this could take hours per day for weeks to develop profitable UDMs.

The reason that I mention this is that programs like Race Prophet and TPA don't have that kind of complexity, which may be the type of software that you are looking for. But IMO, it is not likely that these less expensive, less complex programs will lead you to the Land of Positive ROI, at least, not without some kind of results tracking. And that kind of modeling is not included with these kinds of programs, so you would have to set up a database or spreadsheet and track what is working yourself.

Just as an example, I was tracking the Fitness rating in Race Prophet. For a while that rating pointed to the winner at several tracks more often than not. (Oh btw, the winner was not necessarily the highest-rated fitness horse.) But for some reason, that factor just seemed to stop working after tracking it at several tracks for about three months.

If you want my opinion on some specific (cheaper) programs that I've used just PM me and I will tell you what I think. FWIW, I currently use Equisim (which I love but won't work with Windows Vista) and CJ's fig program which produces the finest set of pace numbers that I've ever used.

Old Timer
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
I have been running Equisim on Vista Business 64-bit for about 14 months with never a problem.

Old Timer

headhawg
12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Hmmmm....I thought that I read somewhere here that people were having trouble with Vista and ES. Maybe it was the 64-bit version? I think that it has something to do with the Jet db engine.

AlanBaze
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
All right this may sound dumb but bare with me. Last night I downloaded Jcappers Demo 90 day trial software. Here's the dumb question to get the Zipfiles that goes back as far as 2004, do I have to purchase them? Is there a discounted price? Have I gotten in over my head? I have some purchased brisnet files from Race Prophet. Can I use them? Help this elementary mind please.:bang:

raybo
01-01-2009, 10:04 PM
All right this may sound dumb but bare with me. Last night I downloaded Jcappers Demo 90 day trial software. Here's the dumb question to get the Zipfiles that goes back as far as 2004, do I have to purchase them? Is there a discounted price? Have I gotten in over my head? I have some purchased brisnet files from Race Prophet. Can I use them? Help this elementary mind please.:bang:

Bris' archived data files are the same price as current ones,the archived Exotic Results files are $.25. There are no discounted prices.

You can use the Bris files you already have.

Hosshead
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
If you decide to ultimately use JCapper, I think you can also use TSN Procaps ($59./mo.) with JCapper.