PDA

View Full Version : Beyer No.

JWBurnie
12-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Is there a way to obtain the Beyer No. for a horse that ran within the last couple days (free)? Thank you in advance.

rrbauer
12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Is there a way to obtain the Beyer No. for a horse that ran within the last couple days (free)? Thank you in advance.

This is horse racing. NOTHING is free!

DRF used to list races and Beyer fig of winning horse in their Sumulcast Weekly pub. Don't know if that's still around, or not. Doubt if it is free.

If you know the Beyer of the winning horse and you know beaten lengths you can calculate it for the horse that you're interested in.

lamboguy
12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
if you want to get a beyer number they will sell you one 48 hours after the horse ran for $3.00. i have to admit i have done that before myself. i never influence my betting with any for of number, but i got them to either get a second opinion when i might buy or sell or a horse.

Fingal
12-21-2008, 12:29 PM
For stakes & handicaps the DRF publishes the figures of the winner within a couple of days.

http://www.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp

But for the day in, day out MDN, CLM & ALW ? No idea.

CincyHorseplayer
12-21-2008, 12:47 PM

DRF used to list races and Beyer fig of winning horse in their Sumulcast Weekly pub. Don't know if that's still around, or not. Doubt if it is free.

If you know the Beyer of the winning horse and you know beaten lengths you can calculate it for the horse that you're interested in.

No kidding.

I emailed them to ask where the variants were in the charts and they told me I had to buy them.

Mineshaft
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM

No...

onefast99
12-21-2008, 07:14 PM
If you are a DRF member(online)you will be able to get them 24 hours after the race has ended($3). Some may take a bit longer, what is the name of the horse and I will get it for you.

jotb
12-22-2008, 07:09 AM

I'll take a guess and say 78. It's certainly not a 90.

cj
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

It isn't free, of course, but they do list the Beyers. Simulcast Daily is available online and you get all the Beyers within two or three days for a very reasonable fee for the entire year.

In this case, I don't have a problem with the Beyers not being free. It isn't standard PP info, which should be free.

takeout
12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
if you want to get a beyer number they will sell you one 48 hours after the horse ran for $3.00. :faint:

the little guy
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
DRF is a business. They pay to have the Beyer figures. How is it that they should give this information away for free?

Frontenac
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
DRF is a business. They pay to have the Beyer figures. How is it that they should give this information away for free?

The guy just asked a question. There is no need for you to bite his head off.
Nice p.r. guy that you are.

the little guy
12-22-2008, 08:48 PM
The guy just asked a question. There is no need for you to bite his head off.
Nice p.r. guy that you are.

Your act got tired here faster than any poster in internet history. To anybody with an IQ over 80, or without an agenda, my post is obviously directed to people that don't understand why DRF charges for this info ( like the poster before me.....I would have quoted him but quoting only an emoticon seemed a bit silly ). And, firthermore, how exactly did I " bite his head off? "

Your constant cheap shots towards me are amusing, I'll give you that, but I'm very comfortable with my contributions to this industry. That isn't changed because I don't tolerate the kind of BS you have directed towards me on this site.

Frontenac
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Your act got tired here faster than any poster in internet history. To anybody with an IQ over 80, or without an agenda, my post is obviously directed to people that don't understand why DRF charges for this info ( like the poster before me.....I would have quoted him but quoting only an emoticon seemed a bit silly ).

Your constant cheap shots towards me are amusing, I'll give you that, but I'm very comfortable with my contributions to this industry. That isn't changed because I don't tolerate the kind of BS you have directed towards me on this site.

It is you that is directing b.s.,I just stated the obvious. There was no need for you to bite anyone's head off.

takeout
12-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Yes, tlg was responding to my “faint” post. :)

Hey, to each his own. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks that $3.00 for “a” Beyer number is ridiculously high. For those who think not, then purchase away. I’m sure the DRF’s latest investment group ownership will be delighted.

Frontenac
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM

Hey, to each his own. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks that $3.00 for “a” Beyer number is ridiculously high. For those who think not, then purchase away. I’m sure the DRF’s latest investment group ownership will be delighted.

I knew he was responding to your post, but the question your emoticon is asking is : Isn't $3 too much to pay for a Beyer fig?

For most of us the answer is yes, this is too steep.

tlg feels that he has to explain that the DRF is running a business.
I guess most of us don't already know that.
Can you detect the sarcasm in his post?

the little guy
12-22-2008, 09:12 PM

I think you may be looking at it from the " wrong " direction. Obviously to horseplayers, it is an unnecessary expense, as we get them when ( or if ) we need them when handicapping. For the most part, people that want them quickly are in the horse buying business, and $3 is pretty much an incidental expense.

the little guy
12-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I knew he was responding to your post, but the question your emoticon is asking is : Isn't $3 too much to pay for a Beyer fig?

For most of us the answer is yes, this is too steep.

tlg feels that he has to explain that the DRF is running a business.
I guess most of us don't already know that.
Can you detect the sarcasm in his post?

You're really quite the punk.

There was absolutely ZERO sarcasm in my post....NONE.

However, since now you claim to have known who I was responding to, why then did you make your comment to me as though I was responding to the initial poster?

The bottom line is you are trying to pick a fight with me. You did it with your cheap shot in the other thread and are doing it here. I'm not impressed....and nobody is fooled.

Frontenac
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
You're really quite the punk.

There was absolutely ZERO sarcasm in my post....NONE.

However, since now you claim to have known who I was responding to, why then did you make your comment to me as though I was responding to the initial poster?

The bottom line is you are trying to pick a fight with me. You did it with your cheap shot in the other thread and are doing it here. I'm not impressed....and nobody is fooled.

Wrong on all counts, and keep up the name calling. It looks good on you.

onefast99
12-22-2008, 10:32 PM
I think you may be looking at it from the " wrong " direction. Obviously to horseplayers, it is an unnecessary expense, as we get them when ( or if ) we need them when handicapping. For the most part, people that want them quickly are in the horse buying business, and $3 is pretty much an incidental expense.
I spend over $300 a year on them, maybe I should see if DRF has any frequent buyer reward programs! They are worth it.

The Hawk
12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I spend over $300 a year on them, maybe I should see if DRF has any frequent buyer reward programs! They are worth it.

Just curious Onefast, why do you buy them? Are you curious about the figures horses earn and can't wait to see them, or do you use them exclusively to buy horses? And if so, can't you just wait a few days?

Pace Cap'n
12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Is it true that TLG has Beyer's number?

Or was it the other way around?

George Sands
12-23-2008, 12:42 AM
For the most part, people that want them quickly are in the horse buying business, and $3 is pretty much an incidental expense.

Yes, Thoro-Graph charges $25 for the updated sheet of one horse.

onefast99
12-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Just curious Onefast, why do you buy them? Are you curious about the figures horses earn and can't wait to see them, or do you use them exclusively to buy horses? And if so, can't you just wait a few days?
I guess I am like a little kid on xmas day, I cant wait to see the beyers of our horses when they win a race or even finish in the top 4. I also like to see the beyers on horses we may have owned at one time or a horse that won a big stakes race like BB. I also look them up to see if the horse ran a decent number and we are interested in claiming the horse next time out or buying it privately.

cj
12-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I guess I am like a little kid on xmas day, I cant wait to see the beyers of our horses when they win a race or even finish in the top 4. I also like to see the beyers on horses we may have owned at one time or a horse that won a big stakes race like BB. I also look them up to see if the horse ran a decent number and we are interested in claiming the horse next time out or buying it privately.

You really should subscribe to Simulcast Daily then. The cost is $140 a year, and you get all the winning Beyers in 48 hours.

gm10
12-23-2008, 09:40 AM

you can go to my site if you want a figure (usually within 24 hours of the race)
I don't have Beyers, but I think mine are better anyway
if you don't agree, you can still compare the last figure with the horse's historical numbers
(it's free for the first two races of the day)

JWBurnie
12-23-2008, 11:02 AM

Well then, I'm a kid too. I rarely use Beyer figs. in my handicapping. IMO the Beyer, like all figs., are not consistent. For my own runners, I like to get a tri-merg, just to get a few reads.

I also like to hear the Beyer on big races, which are FREE, and the reason I asked the question originally.

I subscribed to DRF Simulcast Weekly for a year but was tired of receiving the damn thing 10-14 days after print, and destroyed.

JWBurnie
12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
you can go to my site if you want a figure (usually within 24 hours of the race)
if you don't agree, you can still compare the last figure with the horse's historical numbers

Thank you, gm10.

What does your number include, or not, that the Beyer doesn't?

Tom
12-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I subscribed to DRF Simulcast Weekly for a year but was tired of receiving the damn thing 10-14 days after print, and destroyed.

I renewed mine in October and still have not received a single hard copy, nor a reply to any emails. Consistency is always nice, and DRF sucks big time as far as customer service goes.

barn11
12-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not a big Beyer fan either. I think they are weighted too heavily towards the better tracks(i.e. a horse that runs last at Belmont will still get a large number) Does anyone use the Rag #s?

JeremyJet
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Why pay for something that you can figure out yourself?

Regards,

JeremyJet

JeremyJet
12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm not a big Beyer fan either. I think they are weighted too heavily towards the better tracks(i.e. a horse that runs last at Belmont will still get a large number) Does anyone use the Rag #s?

The best horses in the country run in New York. It stands to reason that also-rans will get a better figure than a winner at some bush track.

What's your question in regard to The Sheets?

Regards,

JeremyJet

onefast99
12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
You really should subscribe to Simulcast Daily then. The cost is $140 a year, and you get all the winning Beyers in 48 hours.
Thanks CJ.

onefast99
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
The best horses in the country run in New York. It stands to reason that also-rans will get a better figure than a winner at some bush track.

What's your question in regard to The Sheets?

Regards,

JeremyJet
The beyer figure is not the only tool one relies on for both buying or betting a horse. I also like the Ragozin sheets.

onefast99
12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Especially Tampa!

barn11
12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I see your point, but I would rather run against a horse that had beaten 1 or 2 in Ny than a horse that was 3rd or 4th at Laurel, and yet the NY horse would probably be coming off a higher Beyer.

Conserning Rag #s-do you think they are more or less accurate than Beyers, Bris #, etc.? Would they be more helpful in day to day handicapping, or evaluating a particular horses ability?

JeremyJet
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I see your point, but I would rather run against a horse that had beaten 1 or 2 in Ny than a horse that was 3rd or 4th at Laurel, and yet the NY horse would probably be coming off a higher Beyer.

Conserning Rag #s-do you think they are more or less accurate than Beyers, Bris #, etc.? Would they be more helpful in day to day handicapping, or evaluating a particular horses ability?

The Sheets are more accurate, but they also cost a lot more. But if you're useing speed figures to evaluate horses to purchase, then the cost of The Sheets is relatively cheap. I mean, what's a couple of hundred dollars when you're going to spend thousands on a horse?

Regards,

JeremyJet

onefast99
12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
The Sheets are more accurate, but they also cost a lot more. But if you're useing speed figures to evaluate horses to purchase, then the cost of The Sheets is relatively cheap. I mean, what's a couple of hundred dollars when you're going to spend thousands on a horse?

Regards,

JeremyJet
Agree the rags are costly.

JeremyJet
12-23-2008, 03:41 PM

Your webpage indicates that 1 length = 3 points. Is that for all distances?

Regards,

JeremyJet

Bill Cullen
12-23-2008, 09:15 PM

The only way I know is to construct your own figures off result charts. Whatever edge folks get from doing all that work, they deserve. I should mention that even highly acclaimed handicapping authors stress the value of constructing your own figures for the insights they can give a handicapper, insights far beyond mere speed figure comparisons.

Best,

Bill C

Judicious Player
12-24-2008, 01:08 AM
The only value I find in the Beyer figures is the insight into how the public will bet the race. After determining that, I look elsewhere for a good betting proposition, if there is one in the race.

At times, I find The Sheets valuable, but only when The Sheets reverse the top 2 Beyer numbers in a maiden race full of lightly run horses.

For example, in a maiden race of lightly run horses, there may be two standout Beyer figures in the race. Say, one horse has a 92 Beyer figure and the other has an 84 Beyer figure. When The Sheets indicate that the 84-Beyer horse is actually faster (i.e., recorded a better Ragozin fugure in its last race than the 92-Beyer horse), the 84-Beyer horse gets my money over the 92-Beyer horse every time. Such a situation puts me on an Automatic Overlay. You just know that the public is going to bet the 92 Beyer figure over the 84 Beyer figure. In that kind of situation, I find The Sheets valuable.

cmoore
12-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Beyer and speed figures are way over used. Especially in maiden races. For me to create my own figures would be very time consuming and not really worth it betting lightly raced horses.

JWBurnie
12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
The only way I know is to construct your own figures off result charts. Whatever edge folks get from doing all that work, they deserve. I should mention that even highly acclaimed handicapping authors stress the value of constructing your own figures for the insights they can give a handicapper, insights far beyond mere speed figure comparisons.

Best,

Bill C

I've never constructed my own figures.

Can you give me some tips/ideas? Or, a book? Thank you.

njcurveball
12-24-2008, 11:18 AM

The time you spend doing it will show you it is worth picking up a program that uses downloaded data. It becomes your choice whether to spend 8 hours a day making figures and then finding time to handicap the races and bet them. Or using the good figures of someone else and saving yourself the 8 hour grind which is also going to wind up being daily. Horses rarely take a day off.

Jim

Bruddah
12-24-2008, 11:36 AM
The time you spend doing it will show you it is worth picking up a program that uses downloaded data. It becomes your choice whether to spend 8 hours a day making figures and then finding time to handicap the races and bet them. Or using the good figures of someone else and saving yourself the 8 hour grind which is also going to wind up being daily. Horses rarely take a day off.

Jim

As some learned last year, the Beyer's can be used as a good measuring tool for a crop if 3yo's, leading up to the Triple Crown Races. Then again there were those that wished to agrue with me when I predicted how weak the 2008 crop was/is. I have been using Beyer numbers for measuring the strength of a 3yo crop and found them to be very predictive.

JMHO and don't care if anyone agrees or not. :lol: :D

JustRalph
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM

here is my advice,Tip, whatever. Buy them. Or subscribe to somebody who includes them etc.

I tried doing it. I can do it. About the 3rd time I get it right......... but my eyes are crossed and my head starts to hurt and even when I think I have it right I have some doubt. There are people who are damn good at it. Like CJ. Good for them..........not so good for me........ we all have our own wheelhouse..........if you don't find it easy.........then get somebody else's.

Tom
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Modern Pace Handicapping, Brohamer, Beyer, Quirin, his first two books.
It is a lot of work, but it has its rewards. When I used to make my own, I had to investigate a lot of ??? variants, and that was basically pre-handicapping a lot of races.

Bill Cullen
12-24-2008, 11:48 PM
here is my advice,Tip, whatever. Buy them. Or subscribe to somebody who includes them etc.

I tried doing it. I can do it. About the 3rd time I get it right......... but my eyes are crossed and my head starts to hurt and even when I think I have it right I have some doubt. There are people who are damn good at it. Like CJ. Good for them..........not so good for me........ we all have our own wheelhouse..........if you don't find it easy.........then get somebody else's.

Good advice.

I never make my own figures but suspect I should. I admire those that do.
If you can buy figs and still keep your personal "vig" over the take out, why
not. Making/buying your own figs, or anything similar, gives one the basis for making one's own line. For the serious/passionate/honest player, it has to be a net win/win situation.

Bill C

toetoe
12-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Tlg(to Frontenac):

"Your act got tired here faster than any poster in internet history."

I am SO flattered. :blush: .

onefast99,

Oh no you didn't, didja ? "... frequent BEYER plan ..." :bang: ... :lol: .

onefast99
12-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Tlg(to Frontenac):

"Your act got tired here faster than any poster in internet history."

I am SO flattered. :blush: .

onefast99,

Oh no you didn't, didja ? "... frequent BEYER plan ..." :bang: ... :lol: .
Yup, now CJ got me the discount. Now I should have enough leftover for a soft pretzel and a bottled water at the Big A. No salt please!

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Then again there were those that wished to agrue with me when I predicted how weak the 2008 crop was/is.The real funny part in all of this was when Raven's Pass (a 3yo) won the BC Classic. Yup, he was trained and raced in Europe, but he was bred in Kentucky and thus qualifies as part of the 3yo crop, wouldn't you think?

ryesteve
12-27-2008, 08:55 AM
The real funny part in all of this was when Raven's Pass (a 3yo) won the BC Classic. Yup, he was trained and raced in Europe, but he was bred in Kentucky and thus qualifies as part of the 3yo crop, wouldn't you think?True, but anyone saying that the crop sucked was basing it on what they were seeing here...

Tom
12-27-2008, 10:30 AM
.....Yup, he was trained and raced in Europe, but he was bred in Kentucky and thus qualifies as part of the 3yo crop, wouldn't you think?

No. He would called an invader.
(Among other names I called him on BC Day! #$^%@&$)

gm10
12-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Your webpage indicates that 1 length = 3 points. Is that for all distances?

Regards,

JeremyJet

For two turn races, it would be more like 2 points = 1 length.
This is for the TOTAL and RECENT ratings.

The EARLY MIDDLE and LATE numbers are not over the full distances but the numbers are on the same scale. If you still want to quantify the differences as lengths, 6 points = 1 length is pretty accurate for all distances.