PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Recommendations

shoelessjoe
12-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Anyone know of any decent hotels that are on the beach and not far from the track.Thanks

lamboguy
12-20-2008, 10:21 PM
the mariott at sand key

lamboguy
12-20-2008, 10:23 PM
sand key is real nice, but you might want to try some place in tarpon springs, they have great greek food there. its like going to athens and walking thru the placca.

juanepstein
12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Freddie Hyatt

shoelessjoe
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Sand Key looks really nice but out of my price range

CincyHorseplayer
12-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I've been thinking about going down there myself in February.Where is the best place to find women on MOndays and Wednesdays???I can find accomodations easily enough but I want to look at more than horseflesh when I'm down there.

And I'm being serious.Dan G,you live in Tampa and I have played guitar for 20 years.Let's do a Jaco Pastorius tribute concert so we can reel em in:lol:

rrbauer
12-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Anyone know of any decent hotels that are on the beach and not far from the track.Thanks

Track is not close to the beach! Which do you want? Beach or track?

bigmack
12-21-2008, 12:57 PM
The internet is made for such answers. Took about 1.5 minutes. Googled, Tampa Bay Downs, got address. Googled, hotels near address. Found Hotels.com, typed in address which spit out these 50 choices within 8 miles of the track from $41. Caper solved.

Linkster (http://www.hotels.com/processRefineSearchResults.do?paging=1&sortBy=PROXIMITY&searchID=AC102644-212C-E091-1E52-309E0D897D7B&searchMtmPropertySupplierId=&searchType=point&chooseAlternateDestination=false&propertyIdsToCompareString=&destination=usertyped&addressID=&mtnHotelID=&CIMonth=-1&CIDay=-1&CIYear=2008&COMonth=-1&CODay=-1&COYear=2008&acDestinationId=&acDestinationType=4&lat=28.045782&lon=-82.648544&pointName=11225+Race+Track+Rd+N%2C+Tampa%2C+FL+336 26&usertypedcity=11225+Race+Track+Rd+N%2C+Tampa%2C+FL +33626&trackType=&userEnteredDestination=&checkIn=&checkOut=&numrooms=1&adults%5B0%5D=2&child%5B0%5D=0&hotelName=&allPropertyTypesSelected=on&minPriceStr=0&maxPriceStr=500%2B&minStarRating=1.0&maxStarRating=5.0&guestRatingMin=1.0&guestRatingMax=5.0&sortType=PROXIMITY&pageNumber=2&numProperties=25&checkIn=&checkOut=&refined=false)

shoelessjoe
12-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I would want the hotel near the beach and within 30 minutes drive to the track.

shoelessjoe
12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Would rather get places that people have stayed at and liked if that's ok with you.

bigmack
12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Would rather get places that people have stayed at and liked if that's ok with you.
For what you're looking to spend you want people to wax poetic about a $75/night hotel? Good luck with that.

There was a bed, a TV with 6 stations, one shower & the towels were unusually small.

Most helpful.

Tampa Russ
12-21-2008, 05:16 PM

For track convenience, the Courtyard in Oldsmar is my favorite. For beach/not too far from track (30 mins non-rush hour), Marriott Suites Sand Key.

phatbastard
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
just stayed @ Holiday Inn Express, couple miles from track. nice place friendly folks, hot free continental breakfast...119 per night

stayed in plenty of places in area over years, and the ''cheap'' rooms aren't as abundant these days, at least the ones that are safe

hoping to go down again in March and catch some spring training baseball as well

if its chick you want, go in March, during spring break....Clearwater Beach is loaded with them

good cheap eats over there @ Crabby Bill's

Boris
12-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I would want the hotel near the beach and within 30 minutes drive to the track.

Sounds like the beach part is most important to you. You want to stay at the beach and visit the track instead of the other way. Keep in mind this is the season, so beach hotel prices are up. I have stayed at both The Alden and The Tradewinds in St. Pete Beach. The inside Garden rooms are the cheaper, but don't have a view of the beach. May be a little farther from the track than what you want (45 mins-ish), but have a kitchen and are close to plenty of restaurants. It's like an efficiency apt. Wireless internet, but it didnt always reach my room. Had to go to the lobby. You can also search Clearwater Beach, but the prices will be higher than St Pete.

shoelessjoe
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Bmack, If you dont like what I post then why comment at all.It really gets tiresome having to deal with people here such as you.

Thanks very much to the rest of you for taking the time to post suggestions.

highnote
12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Sand Key looks really nice but out of my price range

We are in the beginning stages of deflation.

You can probably get some really great rates. Just ask. You might be surprised how low they are willing to go.

I am being pestered nightly to buy a package at a 5 star Marriott hotel in Orlando with $100 Disneyworld coupons for $299 for 5 days and 4 nights. I figure I can do better in January!

I just read about someone going shopping at Sak's. As they walked in the door they were handed a 30% off coupon for anything in the store. They used the coupon to buy some jewely that was regularly $500. They were able to buy it for $75.

Another story: Macy's has cut the prices of its diamond earrings from $800 a pair to $249 and the GAP and J Crew just sliced another 60% off its already discounted clothing prices.

I bought two new suits at a mall for 70% off.

It's a buyers market. The only way to end the recession and avoid a depression is to spend. We need to keep the economy lubed.

WinterTriangle
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Yo u bring up a good point John.

I'm always *amazed* at how few people know how to *do business*. The ones that do, stay in business. In good AND bad economies.

In terms of a rational marketplace, it's 'always' a buyer's market.

When it's not, look behind the curtain. Something is not right, and definitely off-kilter. Had people stuck to that *instinct* they wouldn't be sitting in houses that they owe more on than they are worth. :)

The buyer, in reality, is in control, however, too many don't realize it, and therefore, don't wield the power that is theirs.

highnote
12-23-2008, 02:44 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_bi_ge/desperate_retailers

NEW YORK – If you're looking for an extra bargain before the holidays, you may only have to ask. With holiday sales shaping up to be the lowest in years, possibly the worst since the industry began annual comparisons in 1969, retailers say they're taking consumers' demands for good deals seriously. Some are extending return policies, while others are matching competitors' prices. Many are volunteering on-the-spot discounts and even letting customers haggle prices well down from what's marked in a desperate bid to make the cash register ring.

"You'd have to be a moron not to ask for a discount," said Stephen Hoch, a retailing expert at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.

bigmack
12-23-2008, 02:51 AM
"You'd have to be a moron not to ask for a discount," said Stephen Hoch, a retailing expert at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
You gotta be a 'retailing expert' @ Wharton to come up with a line like that?

So now Bud walks into Sears and says "I know you want you want $249 for the set but I'll give ya $175" ? - I don't see it happening.

highnote
12-23-2008, 03:04 AM
You gotta be a 'retailing expert' @ Wharton to come up with a line like that?

So now Bud walks into Sears and says "I know you want you want $249 for the set but I'll give ya $175" ? - I don't see it happening.

He's right. I did it when I bought my suit that was marked down 70%. I said I want a second suit (that was also marked down 70%), two shirts and two ties, but I want an additional 10% off. I got it.

When the lady from Marriott calls me tomorrow with the 5 day, 4 night package at the Orlando resort, I'm going to tell her I'll take it if she knocks off another $100. So that would be 5 days, 4 nights plus $100 worth of Disney vouchers for $199 rather than for her offer of $299.

They can take it or leave it. I don't particularly want or need the trip, but my kids would love to go to Disney.

phatbastard
12-23-2008, 09:23 PM
i've spent my life haggling for a better price....cars....pharmacies [ you'd be surprised how low mom and pop druggists will go.....but my recent Tampa yielded no such bargains...i know i spent hours dealing and best i could get was 10 bucks off at HIE....shocked me as i thought like all of you...they need the business, but no go