PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes

mountainman
12-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Need some info for an article I'm doing. Can anyone confirm that FL divides their season(which began this year on apr 19 and concluded on dec 6) into individual meets? And, if so, what dates marked the start and finish of those meets this year?

ralph_the_cat
12-18-2008, 10:57 PM
It's usually one entire meet unless something has changed... I have an HBPA mag that I think just listed the 09 racing dates, I'll see if I have the mag laying around...

Premier Turf Club
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Need some info for an article I'm doing. Can anyone confirm that FL divides their season(which began this year on apr 19 and concluded on dec 6) into individual meets? And, if so, what dates marked the start and finish of those meets this year?

Mark,

I think its one meet. That's the way our simulcast contract reads.

ralph_the_cat
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
It appears that finger lakes hasnt approved the dates of their meet next year yet... but heres the people you could ask... http://nationalhbpa.com/affiliatesdetaildisplay.ASP?KEY=8

Tom
12-18-2008, 11:45 PM
We used to have several meets, although no downtime between them. Early spring, summer, fall. Not sure if they still differentiate like that, this was a while ago, but we actually showed trainer/jock standings for each mini meet.

mountainman
12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
It's a piece for Horseplayer Magazine exploring shippers at smaller tracks. One of the forms I use to illustrate a point is that of a horse haltered at Finger Lakes. It's a horse that ran elsewhere within 5 weeks of the claim, which would be prohibited (as per any jurisdictional rules i've encountered in the course of my duties as a racing official) unless a meet had expired. I just called Chris Englehart, who claimed the horse in question, and he confirmed that FL breaks their season into meets. Perhaps they do that solely for purposes of claim. Thanks very much for responding to my question.

mountainman
12-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Mark,

I think its one meet. That's the way our simulcast contract reads.

tx, and please see above post.

ralph_the_cat
12-19-2008, 12:39 AM
It's a piece for Horseplayer Magazine exploring shippers at smaller tracks. One of the forms I use to illustrate a point is that of a horse haltered at Finger Lakes. It's a horse that ran elsewhere within 5 weeks of the claim, which would be prohibited (as per any jurisdictional rules i've encountered in the course of my duties as a racing official) unless a meet had expired. I just called Chris Englehart, who claimed the horse in question, and he confirmed that FL breaks their season into meets. Perhaps they do that solely for purposes of claim. Thanks very much for responding to my question.

That makes sense they do it for the claims, because when I check on Finger Lakes leaders throughout the year, it always reads that the meet started in April... even in to Nov and Dec....strange that Equibase doesnt break up the meets if FL does...

Do they honor Chris with each meet? or just once for the entire season?...

Tom
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Looking forward to your article!

We stopped rewarding Englehart, we just throw money at him every Friday! :D

jballscalls
12-19-2008, 10:53 AM
their jockey/trainer stats are based on the entire season and not broken up.

Tom Barrister
12-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Equibase generally won't divide the statistics by meet if there isn't also an accompanying break in time.

ralph_the_cat
12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
thats really wierd... they have an entire season meet, but then finger lakes breaks it into tiny meets??... no logic there.... Because the 60 day rule for claims would still let them ship after 60 days, so why mini meets?... will someone make me understand this?... mini-meets?... wtf... for what?...

jballscalls
12-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Equibase generally won't divide the statistics by meet if there isn't also an accompanying break in time.

Oh ok. I remember at River Downs we split our meet up into a spring and summer meeting, but there was a 1 day break between them. Does it matter how long the break is?

FantasticDan
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Check out the TRI and SUPER payout for the 5th race today at Fingers..

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FL050809USA5.pdf

:eek:

That's gotta be the biggest exotic payout I've ever seen there. And the funny thing is earlier I had looked at the awful TRI payouts from the first three races and thought, "Ugh, more Finger Lakes chalk.." :D

bushwick
05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
You must not have watched the Derby those payouts were larger.

FantasticDan
05-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I was at Finger Lakes this past Sunday, and had a couple newbie betting questions that I wonder if someone could lend a hand with..

The 3rd race had an exacta payout of $137, but the TRI payout (which had a 3-5 horse coming in 3rd) was only 74.50:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FL052409USA3.pdf

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing, and there was much muttering/complaining from the regulars in the paddock room. I don't expect the TRI in such a case to be that much more than the EX, but $60 less?

Second question.. in the 4th race, there was a dead heat for the Win:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FL052409USA4.pdf

Why did Dreamin of Victory, whose final odds were 3-1, only pay $3.60 for the win? Doesn't each horse that "wins" in a dead heat pay out their actual final odds?

I'm assuming the answer to both my questions has to do with pool distribution or some such thing, but I was just wondering.....

Thanks for the help. :)

Track Collector
05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I was at Finger Lakes this past Sunday, and had a couple newbie betting questions that I wonder if someone could lend a hand with..

The 3rd race had an exacta payout of $137, but the TRI payout (which had a 3-5 horse coming in 3rd) was only 74.50:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FL052409USA3.pdf

I don't recall ever seeing such a thing, and there was much muttering/complaining from the regulars in the paddock room. I don't expect the TRI in such a case to be that much more than the EX, but $60 less?

This is certainly unusual, but does happen from time to time. Sometimes when bettors believe there are only three real contenders in a race, they will box all three in the trifecta, even when one horse is strongly favored by the public at low odds such as 3-5.

Second question.. in the 4th race, there was a dead heat for the Win:

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/FL052409USA4.pdf

Why did Dreamin of Victory, whose final odds were 3-1, only pay $3.60 for the win? Doesn't each horse that "wins" in a dead heat pay out their actual final odds?

I'm assuming the answer to both my questions has to do with pool distribution or some such thing, but I was just wondering.....

Thanks for the help. :)

Let's illustrate with an example race pool:
Total $ bet in win pool = $ 10000
Track take-out (using 20% rate) = $ 2000
Balance of pool to be paid out to winners = 10000-2000 = $8000
If a horse's odds in this race are 3 to 1 and it wins. , it would mean there are 1000, $2 tickets which would be worth $8 each. Note: 1000 tickets * $8 each = the $8000 pool total.
If a horse's odds in this race are 7 to 1 and it wins, it would mean there are 500, $2 tickets which would be worth $16 each. Note: 500 tickets * $16 each = the $8000 pool total.

If both horses dead-heat for 1st, their payouts would still come (or be SHARED) from the same $8000 available payout pool, and thus their respective payouts would be less than their win pool odds, which is based on them capturing the payout pool all by themselves.

I hope this helps.

FantasticDan
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Indeed it does! Thanks! :ThmbUp:

hbeck
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
The New York Derby, at Finger Lakes?