PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Baugh dies at 94.

Bubba X
12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/17/baugh.obit.ap/index.html

Last surviving member of the inaugural NFL Hall of Fame class. He once passed for four touchdowns and intercepted four passes in the same game. Led the league in passing, interceptions and punting in a single year. One year his punts averaged 51.4 yards. Must have been a hell of a player.

RIP, Slingin' Sammy.

Overlay
12-18-2008, 05:04 PM
An anecdote that I had heard about him, which was also mentioned in one of his obituaries:

Legend has it that during Baugh’s first practice with the Redskins, coach Ray Flannery, a gruff old-timer, tossed a football to Baugh.

“They tell me you’re quite a passer,’’ said Flaherty.

“I reckon I can throw a little,” said Baugh.

“Let’s see it,” said Flaherty. “Hit that receiver in the eye.”

Baugh looked downfield at receiver Wayne Millner and calmly said: “Which eye?”

ezrabrooks
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
We lost a great one...Sammy Baugh the pride of TCU, and Rotan, Texas. In an article about Baugh a couple of years ago, there was a Grantland Rice quote describing a TCU/SMU game, and Baugh's passing ability... ‘He could murder a fly on a fence with the snout of that missile at any distance from a yard to at least 50”. You don't see that kind of commentary on ESPN..

Ez

dav4463
12-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I grew up near his home town and was fortunate enough to meet him. He was just a regular guy. He loved to stay out on his ranch and just enjoy his time. He is a true legend.

ezrabrooks
12-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I grew up near his home town and was fortunate enough to meet him. He was just a regular guy. He loved to stay out on his ranch and just enjoy his time. He is a true legend.

Dav, Have you ever been to the top of Double Mountain?

Ez

dav4463
12-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Dav, Have you ever been to the top of Double Mountain?

Ez

I've crawled around on it, but never went all the way to the top! :) In Texas they are mountains....every where else they are just hills!