PDA

View Full Version : Audit: FBI agents billed $45k apiece for Iraq OT

Hooligan
12-18-2008, 03:52 PM
WASHINGTON – FBI agents on temporary assignment in Iraq billed an average of $45,000 in overtime and extra pay for eating, watching movies and going to cocktail parties in some cases, the Justice Department reported Thursday.

The audit by Justice Department Inspector General Glenn A. Fine concluded the FBI improperly used overtime and other premium pay allowances for employees sent to war zones.

Between 2003 and 2007, the FBI spent $63 million in overtime and extra pay for employees in Iraq, the report found. Of that, $7.8 million was improperly billed.

"Several FBI employees noted that they periodically spent time during the work day washing clothes," the report noted. "Questioned whether he should have been paid for the time spent in this activity, one employee defended the practice, saying 'when you're in that environment, anything you do to survive is work for the FBI.'"

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_go_ot/fbi_overtime
Our tax dollars at work!
http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/s0812/final.pdf

JustRalph
12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
so, over a 4 year period, 12.5 % of the OT was bogus........

I bet that is babyshit compared to some other agencies.

3% a year is probably not much compared to some other "gubbermint" agencies............

They are all full of crap payroll and "perks" that we pay for.

Dave Schwartz
12-18-2008, 07:04 PM
"Questioned whether he should have been paid for the time spent in this activity, one employee defended the practice, saying 'when you're in that environment, anything you do to survive is work for the FBI.'"

He's probably right.

Tom
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
No problems with any of that.

highnote
12-19-2008, 12:10 AM
No problems with any of that.

I agree. Just because there are slow times doesn't mean they shouldn't be billing for it. Overall, it's a tough environment and these agents are far away from home.

Hooligan
12-19-2008, 02:27 AM
are no better than common thief’s!

highnote
12-19-2008, 02:35 AM
When you're in a war zone you're on the clock 24/7 as far as I'm concerned.

JustRalph
12-19-2008, 04:53 AM
are no better than common thief’s!

There almost as bad as Thieves!

ddog
12-19-2008, 05:30 AM
typical replies of the 'wink and nod" attitude that abounds in this country.

there are no laws,rules,standards that one need live by , even if one has sworn to uphold same.

Tragic, but so normal most all don't even care anymore.

There maybe a problem with pay scales for this duty or not, but you don't "game" the system to make the outcome what you think is fair, you address it via the channels and do it above board.

Sad , the attitude that abounds in this country, the fnancial stuff stems from the same attitude.

sad.

Tom
12-19-2008, 07:52 AM
If they were stationed in Chicago, I agree, but you think there is any "time off" in Iraq?

If you think they are thieves, what do you think about Nancy Pelosi - she has blocked off shore oil drilling while investing over 100 grand with T Boone Pickens in wind power, which relies on high gas prices to be viable?

If you are going to be righteously indignent, pick your spots. TheFBI provided a valuable service, Pelosi is less useful than a single book end.

wonatthewire1
12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
When you're in a war zone you're on the clock 24/7 as far as I'm concerned.

absolutely agree and the TV over there is terrible, so what are they supposed to do?