PDA

View Full Version : Greatest names?

tabasco223
12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
So, I'd like to hear what everyone's favorite horse names are? :) :)

And just wondering...does anyone know where the name curlin came from? :confused:

onefast99
12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
plezdontbetonme
Arrrrr
doeraymefasohlatido
wynnsrazzamatazzmyazz
gottapee
takeawiz
takemywifeplease

boomman
12-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Yaka-hica-mica-dola

Mendafendabenda

:D
Boomer

cj
12-17-2008, 11:23 AM
I always like Bodacious Tatas.

Fingal
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Treattobeatyafeet. ( by Dixeland Band )

Just his name made you want to tap your toes during the race.:cool:

About Curlin, from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curlin

"The colt was named for Charles Curlin, an African American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American) slave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery) from western Kentucky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky) who fought for the Confederate Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Army) in the American Civil War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War). One of his original owners, Shirley Cunningham, Jr. through his interest in Midnight Cry Stables, is Charles Curlin's great, great grandson."

mannyberrios
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
:1: Cat Thief

BIG RED
12-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Happy Pole :eek:

used to run @ Suffolk

BombsAway Bob
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Tough Nuggets - Professional Maiden @ Suffolk in '80s
2NY-Breds: Stinky Dinky & Stinky Twinkie (All rights reserved)

Floyd
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Hoofhearted?
Icemelted.

Must be the twelve-year-old boy in me....

Tom Barrister
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
And just wondering...does anyone know where the name curlin came from? :confused:

Curlin was named for Charlie Curlin, a black slave who was well known in parts of Kentucky. Curling served in the Union army during the Civil War, but told people he served in the Confederate Army. Kentucky was one of the borderline states which was torn between staying with the Union or seceding with the Confederacy.

Charlie Curlin is the great-grandfater of one of Curlin's owners: Shirley Cunningham.

Here is an article:

http://www.kctcs.edu/todaysnews/index.cfm?tn_date=2007-05-01#10332

arno
12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Cunning Stunt!

BIG49010
12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Cunning Stunt!

Black Beaver also :blush:

mountainman
12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
I think that names play a role in determining which great horses attain immortality. Take Colin and Man O' War. Both ran during the same era and, in several regards, Colin had the better record. Yet Man O' War is regarded as perhaps the preeminent racehorse in history, while Colin's name rarely comes up in a conversation concerning legendary thoroughbreds. Surely the power and majesty of big red's name is one reason for this.

supercap
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Easy Goer, Sunday Silence, does it get better?

tabasco223
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
i agree for cat thief... his is my favorite for use of his pedigree

also,

inside information
soul of the matter

still thinking...
but obviously tabasco cat for me (:

zerosky
12-17-2008, 04:45 PM
'Dynamite Bob'

the slowest horse I ever bet, fantastic name though..
it looked like the nag yosemite sam rode..:)

ralph_the_cat
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
I think that names play a role in determining which great horses attain immortality. Take Colin and Man O' War. Both ran during the same era and, in several regards, Colin had the better record. Yet Man O' War is regarded as perhaps the preeminent racehorse in history, while Colin's name rarely comes up in a conversation concerning legendary thoroughbreds. Surely the power and majesty of big red's name is one reason for this.

I always heard people say that Colin broke his MDN against 30 some horses, I dont know if there's any truth to that... I do know he won a dozen races as a 2year old, and then busted his leg up pretty bad after only a couple starts as a 3 year old, I think in a prep before the belmont... oh, but some how horses getting over worked and getting injuried just became a problem the last 3 years according to the public.... :bang: ... horses use to run 30 times a year and not get injured,right? :bang: ... sorry... thats another topic... Colin was pounded and retired lame, like 95% of race horse... Great horse...

TimesTheyRAChangin
12-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Deweycheatumnhowe

Always loved that name!

strapper
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Some of my personal fav names over the years were:

Tokaneke
Santiago
Buckpasser
Native Dancer
Kentucky Sherry
Graustark
Damascus
Lemon Twist
Endymion
Yorktown
Pink Pigeon
Furl Sail
Chou Croute

CincyHorseplayer
12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Backstage Harlot(used to race in Ohio)

Bold Ruler.Always thought that was cool as hell!

Maximilian's Specter(another Ohio horse in the 90's)

Nmytwenties
12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
There is a horse that runs in Ohio named MAD MONEY. As a fan of the show Mad Money I am waiting for an announcer to say something relative to the show.....are you READY SKEE DADDY!!!!!!

Cholly
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
My all time fav was a colt sired by Deputy Commander from a dam named Clueless: Quayle.

And then there was a never more aptly named 5K claimer who used to run in Texas: Heaintnocigar

Pace Cap'n
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Anita Cocktail (NYRA, '01 or '02)

point given
12-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Always liked the sound of Benny ben benny.

For my wiseguy names there was Isitingood and Toomuchjohnson :lol:

cj's dad
12-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Then you must remember "Rock Hard Ten".Always liked the sound of Benny ben benny.

For my wiseguy names there was Isitingood and Toomuchjohnson :lol:

nijinski
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Fav names MacDiarmeda
Alydar
Shimatoree
Danthebluegrassman
Seattle Slew
It's In The Air
Hopefully "Judge Smells" has a sweeter nickname.

sandpit
12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I always loved how Claiborne named their horse short and to the point, referring often to the mare.

My favorite horse ever, Lure...named after his dam, the lovely Endear.

(sidenote: I read once the name Love was submitted to the Jockey Club for him, but they rejected it...glad they did)

dylbert
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Oldies but goodies from my youth...

Akepot Sasnak (Topeka Kansas spelled backwards)
Shishkabob
Creme Fraiche
Vain Lass
Herbert (often mistaken in Louisiana as Hebert)
Dave's Friend
Monique Rene
Cryptoclearance

eastie
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Silliesaraoflucena is running at tampa today. she has a cool name.
Morning Wood and Morning Dilemma were kind of funny.

barn11
12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
always thought Swale was great for a son of Seatle Slew
Allmylifesacircle
Angelina Ballerina
Cats Domino-by Sir Cat out of Sokhop
Most of the Rokeby names(Arts and Letters, Key to the Mint, etc)

Alyblakester
12-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I loved Alydar and his great son Alysheba, both super names. Seabiscuit, Man o' War, War Admiral, Carry Back, Ridan, Jaipur.....loved all those steeds. If I bred a black horse I'd call him "Wroughtiron".

juanepstein
12-20-2008, 04:13 PM
there has been a horse racing in australia the last couple weeks named RABBIT NAGINA.

NY BRED
12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
then: Bodacious tatas

and now: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:jump:

tribecaagent
12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
TOP TEN
1. Benchmark
2. Leo Castelli
3. Cool
4. Urbane
5. Warning
6. Polish Navy
7. Tight Spot
8. Grand Canyon
9. Very Subtle
10. Corinthian

Honorable Mentions
Win
Hidden Lake
Charismatic
Track Barron
El Jefe
Pebbles
Balance
Manila
Rhythm
Borrego

Hank
12-27-2008, 12:47 AM
With a out a doubt......."COUNT FLEET"and he lived up too it big time.Breezed 6 panels in 1:08 flat as a 2yo:eek:

joanied
12-27-2008, 05:46 PM
ohboy, I love threads like this...fun stuff:jump:
I have dozens of names I think are great, but guess maybe 10 or so would be enough... there are so many from 'back in the day', a person might want two lists...from days gone by and contemporary...anyway, in no particular order:

Ridan
Cicada
Damascus
Jaipur
Tawee
Assault
Affectionately
Gamely
Exceller
Alydar
Tiznow
Azeri
Point Given
My Flag

ohoh...my list is getting too long:blush:

strapper
12-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Ever notice how a name doesn't strike you until a horse starts running well??? Then you think oh that's a great name. If the horse was a bottom level claimer you wouldn't think twice about his name, you'd just call him the "four horse".

joanied
12-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Ever notice how a name doesn't strike you until a horse starts running well??? Then you think oh that's a great name. If the horse was a bottom level claimer you wouldn't think twice about his name, you'd just call him the "four horse".

Oh, I don't know about that...seems that way, but speaking for myself, any time I've seen what I think is a great name for a horse as a 2 yr old with no starts or just a couple of starts...I always think to myself, what a great name...hope this horse turns into a good one!!
And I almost added some names to my list for a few 'ordinary' horses I remember from my days at Belmont... Equal Change, Sticky Situation, Play on Words, Distant Land....

strapper
12-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Let me add some more from my Fair Grounds formative years growing up

Black Gold (before my time)
Tenacious (also before my time)

Santiago (my first favorite horse and it means "the patron saint of horsemen" which I love)
Puss N Boots
Candy Spots

HWright98
12-29-2008, 11:56 AM
"Harass" has to be the best i ever heard. The horse opened up by a few lengths and the track announcer says "they won't catch Harass today". If it hasn't clicked for you yet, say it out loud and you will crack up.