PDA

View Full Version : FG betting Saturday

Cholly
12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know if this is a trend or merely anecdotal...At Fair Grounds on Saturday (Louisiana Champions Day), the mutual pool sizes for the two 2YO races towered over that wagered on the six races for older. The WPS pools for the juveniles were 245K & 249K, while the median figure for 3&Ups was 165K and the largest was 201K. Where did the extra 80-grand bet on the 2YO come from?

Whales? Are the big boys more comfortable sending it in with both hands on these type races?

Stable betting? The colts did have an odds-on fav, but I would not have guessed Foxwood to be a major player at the windows.

Or is there just a greater comfort level among the general public for betting juvenile stakes?

Any thoughts on this phenomenon?

point given
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
is the answer to your question. With the exception of one race, the older horse fields were woefully short and in a few instances there were horses cross entered in multiple races. This put off my betting as well as others, i would guess. Bettors dont relish the LA. bred 2 yo races, but rather the opportunities offered by more horses entered . Here is the link to the results for saturday.
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/instant_pdf.cgi?type=inc&country=USA&track=FG&date=2008-12-13&race=0

Mineshaft
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't know if this is a trend or merely anecdotal...At Fair Grounds on Saturday (Louisiana Champions Day), the mutual pool sizes for the two 2YO races towered over that wagered on the six races for older. The WPS pools for the juveniles were 245K & 249K, while the median figure for 3&Ups was 165K and the largest was 201K. Where did the extra 80-grand bet on the 2YO come from?

Whales? Are the big boys more comfortable sending it in with both hands on these type races?

Stable betting? The colts did have an odds-on fav, but I would not have guessed Foxwood to be a major player at the windows.

Or is there just a greater comfort level among the general public for betting juvenile stakes?

Any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Both baby races were 14 horse fields. Theres where you get the money from Bettors want to bet races with a full field so they can get some value. They dont want to bet a 6 hors efield.

strapper
12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Field size is defintely your answer. If the Classic race would've been able to draw a large field I'm sure the public would respond even more. There is a shortage in the top of the state-bred handicap ranks. This phenomenon happens just about every year.

raybo
12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
The 3 highest mutuel pools were the 6th, 8th, and 11th. All were 6f dirt races. The $201k in the 11th was probably more a result of losers trying to get even than because it was 6f and on dirt, but many wagerers don't like turf or routes. The larger fields definitely had an influence, also.