PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn Park

cj
03-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Thinking of heading there for the weekend with the wife to see Azeri run. I haven't seen horses race live in like 4 years.

Anyone have any tips or reccomendations for the Hot Springs area? Is it worth the trip (about 5-6 hours for me.)

CJ

GR1@HTR
03-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Hey CJ,

OP is one of my favorite tracks...Unlike many tracks I have been to, the whole town seems to revolve around the track. Welcome signs are everywhere for horse racing tourist. It reminds me of a college football town where horse racing is the main event. Even the hotels give out tip sheets! The place rocks!

so.cal.fan
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
CJ
I visited there in 2000. Hot Springs is a wonderful place.
I stayed up at Lake Hamilton. It is beautiful.
GR1's account is accurate. If I lived only 5 or 6 hours away, I would go every weekend.
I hope you and the wife make the trip........"snare" some winners!

Carlb
03-31-2003, 02:17 PM
come early so you can park at the track otherwise you may have to park in someones yard and they like to bump up the price on big race days- also avoid the over hyped deep fried twinkies the track is selling its their new toy this year.

JustRalph
03-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Go over to Hottalkers CJ. Those guys are the Oaklawn experts. I think they are having a big luncheon on the same day you say you are going. I know they talked about watching Azeri run.