PDA

View Full Version : Attn race callers on here!!!!!

thespaah
12-15-2008, 08:23 AM
I realize now there are several of you on here who are "on the mic".
Please share with us your experiences with.......Things you said on the job and looked back and said to yourself " I cant believe I said that"...Or "Did I just say what I think I said"...
The purpose pf this is for you guys to share some of your lighter and humorous experiences as race announcers..
Thanks in advance!

boomman
12-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Please share with us your experiences with.......Things you said on the job and looked back and said to yourself " I cant believe I said that"...Or "Did I just say what I think I said"...
The purpose pf this is for you guys to share some of your lighter and humorous experiences as race announcers..
Thanks in advance!

I'm sure I've had numerous "gaffs" in my announcing career spanning over 25 years, but the one that always sticks in my mind is when I get that inevitable "tongue tie". I say something to the crowd like: "Easy for me to say" LOL and jut shrug it off, that's all you can really do. I also remember vividly when Trevor Denman visited the booth in Albuquerque on his way to the winter meet in Santa Anita several years ago in December and we were in the middle of a massive snowstorm. He asked me how I was calling the horses with practically zero visibility (he guest announced a couple of races the next day) and I replied: Very "carefully"! :lol:

Boomer

onefast99
12-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I never did a race call, but I announced the names of the players at my sons little league game once on the PA system and of course the other coach who just happened to be my brother in law put his 9th player down as Jack Mehoff. That didnt sit well with the parents.:blush:

jballscalls
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I havent been around too long, but in my brief career upstairs, i've had a couple of good gaffs. I tried to wish jockey Brandon Minnock a happy birthday as his horse came flying up to win in the last strides. and Brandon and Birthday got tied up and it was a total word salad.

At River the camera crew guys always play the call to post. So on 7/7 days i'd sometimes take a nap when thistle was going and the call to post would wake me up. Well they forgot to play it and our camera guy next to me starts beating on my window cause he didnt notice also, that there was 4 minutes to post. So we did the post parade while the horses were on the backstretch.

Another time they fell asleep they on the post parade they were using a shot of the infield instead of starting the post parade. And me being a moron I am hollored over at our main camera guy "what the heck are they doing" and forgot that i had already turned mic on.

And one time i 'accidentally' mocked the regular guy for bragging about hitting a 6 dollar exacta.

jimmy m
12-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Very early on when i first started, i was calling the races in Lincoln Nebraska.(which Boomman helped me get)It was a mile race where they go 1 and 1/2 times around im calling the 2nd race and i thought everything was good i went to look at the tv to see the fractional times and i noticed the names of the top 3 were different there was one problem i got the colors down but i was calling the horses that were in the 3rd race same distance 8 horses also so i quickly paused turned the page and picked up right there i no i have more but that is the one that stands out Jim.

strapper
12-17-2008, 01:34 PM
The most memorable event of my time in the booth was not really something I said but rather a torrential rainstorm that was penetrating my little glass window in the rather old and creaky pressbox. As the pr guy at the time too I had some props from a summer fun beachy promo that were handy so I was able to place an inflated swimming raft upright that blocked my view pretty good but at least it kept the rain out while I was trying to announce.

BUD
12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
This is Not a race Call----St Peter Marian--Right after the movie with the same joke came out-----I had a detention so I am cleaning the Principal's office----The Phone rings---Its after hours---The Principal Sister Mary is on the line- oh dear oh no--OK I will see if he is in the building - I do not know the young man he is not a student here---

The Nun---Gets On the Mike-----"Will Mike Hunt report to the office Will Mike Hunt report To the Principals office immediately. Your mother needs you at home"----

She says this------Stops-----Listens---You can here laughter coming from almost everyone who is left in the building----I lose it------She walks up ---Bamm right in the face-----I fall to the ground in tears I was laughing so hard----She so mad-----She kicks me outta the school---The Detention--

It was the funniest---especially the slap------

(((Your Mother needs you)))) I was dying---

sorry it wasn't a race call---

boomman
12-17-2008, 10:15 PM
This is Not a race Call----St Peter Marian--Right after the movie with the same joke came out-----I had a detention so I am cleaning the Principal's office----The Phone rings---Its after hours---The Principal Sister Mary is on the line- oh dear oh no--OK I will see if he is in the building - I do not know the young man he is not a student here---

The Nun---Gets On the Mike-----"Will Mike Hunt report to the office Will Mike Hunt report To the Principals office immediately. Your mother needs you at home"----

She says this------Stops-----Listens---You can here laughter coming from almost everyone who is left in the building----I lose it------She walks up ---Bamm right in the face-----I fall to the ground in tears I was laughing so hard----She so mad-----She kicks me outta the school---The Detention--

It was the funniest---especially the slap------

(((Your Mother needs you)))) I was dying---

sorry it wasn't a race call---

Bud: Believe it or not, there was a horse that raced in New York with the same name! TRUE STORY!;)

Boomer

onefast99
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Bud: Believe it or not, there was a horse that raced in New York with the same name! TRUE STORY!;)

Boomer
There is actually a person with that name who worked with my company about three years ago. Funny story!

toetoe
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey jballs,

GREAT to hear from ya, sir. :jump: .

jballscalls
12-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey jballs,

GREAT to hear from ya, sir. :jump: .

Its great to be back!!!

ezrabrooks
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Funny thing happened during the 1st today a Philly. Horses going into the backstretch, and the phone starts ringing in the announcer's booth. The guy at Philly didn't miss a call, as he picked it up to stop it from ringing..

Ez

onefast99
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Funny thing happened during the 1st today a Philly. Horses going into the backstretch, and the phone starts ringing in the announcer's booth. The guy at Philly didn't miss a call, as he picked it up to stop it from ringing..

Ez\Probably an owner or trainer that wanted to hear the race call while shopping at the mall!!!!

HuggingTheRail
12-20-2008, 01:04 PM

Ez

Maybe it was the stewards calling from Denny's asking if they had missed anything...

jimmy m
12-20-2008, 01:53 PM
In My booth at Prairie the tv department installed a flasher on a couple of sides of the booth so my phone does not ring it flashes inside to keep that from happining it is very cool hing to have Jimmy.

jballscalls
12-20-2008, 02:04 PM
There's an old story about when the great Gary Henson was at Yakima i think, the receptionist sent up 2 calls during the same race call and afterwards he ripped the phone out of the wall and threw it down onto the apron where it exploded!

toetoe
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
jimmy,

I am passing the hat to fund a fulltime flasher's job for Jessica Pacheco.

You guys wit me, or what ? :jump:

BeatTheChalk
12-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks in advance!

I am not a race caller - but the best Race Call I ever heard .. was by
Spike Jones :lol: --- And the winner izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
************** BEEET ULLLLL BOMB ****************