PDA

View Full Version : The 7/8ths Mile Races Experiment At Woodbine

Sea Biscuit
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
The idea was to create more flow into a race. Unfortunately it has had an opposite effect. The first turn comes up very fast much like any 1/2 mile track and it is very difficult to score from the outside posts like the 8,9,and 10.

I do believe that the horses coming from the outside posts have very little chance to win now than ever before. Of the 21 races raced so far only one horse has won from the outside post (Post 8) and I think this trend will continue.

At any given 1/2 track there are usually 8 horses in a straight line with the 9th horse being in the trailing position. At Woodbine they have 10 horses in a straight line making it very difficult to score and take up good early position from these outside posts.

Also I think with the 1/8th mile less distance in the 7/8th races it is also more difficult for horses to come from off the pace from these outside posts.

Just my opinion.

Sea Biscuit.

FlyinLate
12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
The idea was to create more flow into a race. Unfortunately it has had an opposite effect. The first turn comes up very fast much like any 1/2 mile track and it is very difficult to score from the outside posts like the 8,9,and 10.

I do believe that the horses coming from the outside posts have very little chance to win now than ever before. Of the 21 races raced so far only one horse has won from the outside post (Post 8) and I think this trend will continue.

At any given 1/2 track there are usually 8 horses in a straight line with the 9th horse being in the trailing position. At Woodbine they have 10 horses in a straight line making it very difficult to score and take up good early position from these outside posts.

Also I think with the 1/8th mile less distance in the 7/8th races it is also more difficult for horses to come from off the pace from these outside posts.

Just my opinion.

Sea Biscuit.

I agree with your major points. It is unfair to both outside posts as well as dead closers. If I wanted a bias like this I would play a 1/2 mile track. I play larger tracks like Woodbine, Big M, Balmoral, etc for the equality that a mile or (7/8ths) track provides. Why cut the distance of what has been established for so long? Horrible idea and I will never bet another one of these races. Props to them for trying something different, but this doesn't work.

TimesTheyRAChangin
12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
You guys do realize this is just temporary so they can collect data?

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/12-12-08/report-13-million-est-for-woodbine-alterations.html

Postime
12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Already a Thread on this matter.."Woodbine experiment begins"