PDA

View Full Version : Is Urban Meyer throwing the MNC game? WTF

ElKabong
12-12-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=87885

These comments of his are, at best, detrimental to his team's concentration on the only bowl game that counts. Saying ND is your dream job and that you'll coach there someday? The timing could not be worse.

Wonder what his committed recruits think about this? How about the kids on the depth chart that figure to start 2 yrs down the road. Will they stay or bolt for a more stable program?

I think Meyer is the real deal as a coach. But the timing of his comments couldn't be worse. Weis is on the hot seat, now the Subway Alumni are going to read this and pressure ND to get Meyer now (not next yr).

DanG
12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=87885

These comments of his are, at best, detrimental to his team's concentration on the only bowl game that counts. Saying ND is your dream job and that you'll coach there someday? The timing could not be worse.

Wonder what his committed recruits think about this? How about the kids on the depth chart that figure to start 2 yrs down the road. Will they stay or bolt for a more stable program?

I think Meyer is the real deal as a coach. But the timing of his comments couldn't be worse. Weis is on the hot seat, now the Subway Alumni are going to read this and pressure ND to get Meyer now (not next yr).
When you hear Alumni speak you wonder why we all can’t beat the line in college sports. They are so consumed with their own program they fall out of their booster seats every time reality slaps their cheerleaders.

What is the shelf life in the coaching profession? The Paterno’s and Bobby Bowden’s aside; its move in / change the culture and or fail and don’t let the door hit you. (BTW: both those historic coaches have been beaten with clubs the last few years.)

Meyer is a winner pure and simple. Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and ultimately I guess what “he” always wanted the fighting Irish.

The timing; yes I guess so, but in the real world we all have aspirations / dreams and if he were to lose this title game…those same “outraged” alumni would be circling around his house with torches.

Bottom line Gator nation…we are lucky to have known him at all. :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
12-13-2008, 07:49 PM
All true, but still very poor timing. His committed recruits are open game right now. What he said is shockingly stupid.

After Meyer leaves (next year? this year?), who steps in at Fla?

nomadpat
12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
I listened to the interview and it sounded like that was many years down the road. (after his children are older and traveling is less of a family burden)

ezrabrooks
12-13-2008, 09:09 PM
All true, but still very poor timing. His committed recruits are open game right now. What he said is shockingly stupid.

After Meyer leaves (next year? this year?), who steps in at Fla?

No way Meyer recruits the same type of player at ND, that he will get at Fla. I just don't see it happening.

Ez

rrbauer
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
No way Meyer recruits the same type of player at ND, that he will get at Fla. I just don't see it happening.

Ez

The number of athletic scholarships available to NCAA teams is the same for both private and public schools.

Private schools, even Notre Dame and USC, are at a disadvantage because their high tuition pretty much eliminates "walk-on's" from the team. Whereas, because public-school tuitions are much lower, walk-on players can show up for a year, or two, and if they have the talent to make the team in a playing capacity, they can get a scholarship for the balance of their time there.

ezrabrooks
12-14-2008, 05:29 PM
The number of athletic scholarships available to NCAA teams is the same for both private and public schools.

Private schools, even Notre Dame and USC, are at a disadvantage because their high tuition pretty much eliminates "walk-on's" from the team. Whereas, because public-school tuitions are much lower, walk-on players can show up for a year, or two, and if they have the talent to make the team in a playing capacity, they can get a scholarship for the balance of their time there.

Please re-read the post...I said 'same type'. But, I appreciate the primer on NCAA scholarships..

Ez

cj's dad
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Ez

To your point, I would make the assumption that ND actually has admission standards for student/athletes unlike Florida and hosts of other D1 schools.

The Judge
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
don't want to talk to the press. They only do so because the school makes them. Thats becuase you talk to them for a hour and they write a paragraph and paraphrase and it doesn't even resemble the interview at all.

Who would read or listen if all he was quoted as saying was "we are consentrating on the uncoming game."