PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Claiming Prospects

Gallop58
12-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Over the years I've seen a few websites come and go that offered help to owners in identifying potential claiming prospects. (Not enough money in it ,it seems to keep these afloat as standalone businesses) If you know of anyone offering these services, please post.

It seems a task very similar to handicapping, but with some important distinctions. Not trying to find value vs posted odds, but value for posted claiming price, evaluating prospects on a card that aren't necessarily racing against each other (or at the same track for that matter), etc.

Thanks in advance.

zoobird
12-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm actually doing some statistical research in this area for a client.

eqitec
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
See this:

http://eqitec.libsyn.com (http://eqitec.libsyn.com/)

onefast99
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Nothing better then an honest trainer who knows claimers. Not one who specializes in 2 yo's or buying horses at a sale an honest trainer who works the track getting information from the clockers to the exercise boys, thats the information you need to be a success at the claiming game. You can also watch for horses that have been re-claimed by an owner/trainer that means they liked the horse previously and are taking another shot.

JohnGalt1
12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
The book "Thinking Man II" written by an owner/trainer using the pen name Ketcha Goodwon (sp) is divided in two parts.

The first 2/3 of the book is how he handicaps, the second third is what he looks for when claiming a horse.

In one chapter he lists reasons for not claiming a horse. Not only shouldn't you claim a horse with these flaws he writes, but handicappers who are reading this section probably shouldn't bet on horses with these flaws.

Turfday
12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
He was a heart surgeon that lived in Orange County and owned and bred some horses many years ago. Don't remember him having any great success as an owner or breeder, but he loved the game.

His real name was Dr. Frank DeFiore. I owned a condo in Del Mar many years back at the Del Mar Beach Club and would spend the whole summer there. Frank was my neighbor and lived right across the path in the next condo.

Turfday
12-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon. The book, "A Thinking Man's Guide to Handicapping" was originally published prior to 1978 by Westcliff Publications in Newport Beach, CA.

I have a signed copy of the book (copyright 1978) from the author, Dr. Frank DeFiore, who used the "nom de plume" Katcha Goodwon simply as a goof. And he told me that. Frank signed the book with the notation, "Bob, thought you'd like to have the latest updated version." He published an updated version after that.

For a number of years, I had a second home in Del Mar, CA at the Del Mar Beach Club and I would spend the entire summer there and, at the time, was very involved as a thoroughbred owner in several partnerships as well as handicapping professionally.

Frank was actually a heart surgeon and a thoroughbred owner. And my neighbor. He lived in Newport Beach, but also used the condo as a second home during Del Mar and lived right across the path from me. I do know that Frank had mixed success as a thoroughbred owner and his daughter, Leslie, became a trainer in California for some years.

I loved his book and thought he made some great points. And, as he noted right on Page One, he wrote the book simply because of.....EGO. And he made that very clear. Frank basically was a small-time, $10 bettor and he also mentioned that on Page One. He also said that if he won $30 on a given day, he would go home happy. That's also right on Page One.

I haven't seen or heard of Frank in more than 20 years, nor do I even know if he's still around.

Bob Selvin

www.turfday.com & www.nationalturf.com

hoovesupsideyourhe
12-14-2008, 04:58 PM
ask chuck simon.....

http://bluegrassequinecenter.blogspot.com/

http://simonracing.blogspot.com/

JohnGalt1
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's the scoop on author Katcha Goodwon. The book, "A Thinking Man's Guide to Handicapping" was originally published prior to 1978 by Westcliff Publications in Newport Beach, CA.

I have a signed copy of the book (copyright 1978) from the author, Dr. Frank DeFiore, who used the "nom de plume" Katcha Goodwon simply as a goof. And he told me that. Frank signed the book with the notation, "Bob, thought you'd like to have the latest updated version." He published an updated version after that.

For a number of years, I had a second home in Del Mar, CA at the Del Mar Beach Club and I would spend the entire summer there and, at the time, was very involved as a thoroughbred owner in several partnerships as well as handicapping professionally.

Frank was actually a heart surgeon and a thoroughbred owner. And my neighbor. He lived in Newport Beach, but also used the condo as a second home during Del Mar and lived right across the path from me. I do know that Frank had mixed success as a thoroughbred owner and his daughter, Leslie, became a trainer in California for some years.

I loved his book and thought he made some great points. And, as he noted right on Page One, he wrote the book simply because of.....EGO. And he made that very clear. Frank basically was a small-time, $10 bettor and he also mentioned that on Page One. He also said that if he won $30 on a given day, he would go home happy. That's also right on Page One.

I haven't seen or heard of Frank in more than 20 years, nor do I even know if he's still around.

Bob Selvin

www.turfday.com & www.nationalturf.com

Thanks for the interesting info.