PDA

View Full Version : A presentation about the American auto industry.

Hooligan
12-12-2008, 12:20 PM
It contains a lot of interesting facts. You can open it or download it.
http://cid-e879e72f172c2255.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/Public/Auto%20Industry/American%7C_Auto%7C_Industry.pdf

Grits
12-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Hooligan, thank you for posting. I hope your post will get several reads.

The argument by folks who have screamed, they're worthless, their products suck, are, obviously, not employed by one of the Big Three (nor am I) and do not care that their filing of bankruptcy will impact this nation, and has as great a reach as any company on Wall Street. Greater because it will harm far more Americans, and not only THOSE working in auto plants. Everything related to automobiles will be impacted. All industry, even down to a damn car wash.

All along the comparing of foreign verses domestic has not held water. Domestic makers have 3 retirees to every 1 active employee. This has been apples and oranges from the beginning. And this is easily seen in the presentation posted.

If one is going to argue these points, one should study more data such as that presented, along with other articles online, and printed in the newspaper daily, as opposed to only the brief synopsis of what's seen nightly on the news. Most of which is about blaming the UAW. (Then again, this is cyberland and this is what most folks do, relying on short soundbites.)

Facts ARE facts. And this Congress is poorly aware of the FACTS. I live in the South, and the Congressmen that have been the most vocal represent the South. Alabama, Kentucky, South Carolina all have auto plants in their backyards. Its in THEIR best interests to oppose helping domestic automakers. At least, they THINK it so.

I have a hard time understanding HOW one can justify the thieving SOBs of Wall Street and their bailout. People who stole more and made more based on decisions fueled by their own greed, lining their own pockets, than has ever been recorded in the chronicling of business history. Yet, so many can tell the industry that not only set the standard for middle class Americans, but ACTUALLY BUILT IT, and has done more than anyone on Wall Street has done in decades upon decades--

"Sorry folks, we don't give a rat's ass where your next meal comes from because we KNOW you did it to yourselves. WE KNOW IT."

The automobile industry IS America. And no, I don't want to see them go under, especially when I'm learning the thieves at AIG, and their fellow corporate associates in the banking and financial world are still screwing us EVERYDAY. A bonus under the guise of any other name is still a bonus fellas, sorry. Still, with this in mind, we'll continue to save you white collar workers because, as we were told, "you're all too big to let go under." Too valuable. Paulson and Bernake said so. Blue collar, middle class--nope--not so for you folks. Here's the apples and oranges thing again--only this time--its blue versus white, degreed versus high school diploma.

Of course, I could be all wrong here, and one NEVER changes anyone's firmly held, online, opinion. Still, I hate seeing folks lose their jobs, but, as we know full well, the number who have is growing everyday.

You can trust beyond a doubt, though, if this industry folds, if these particular folks lose theirs, and many already have, the lines for medicaid will grow by the thousands.

Tom
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I read it. My take is : yadda yadda yadda.
There are ways they can save themselves already there - they just refuse to take them, they want the ail out. Bankruptcy is totally viable. It is the only way they address the real problems - their labor costs are way out of line. I have major problems with asking people who make on average 67% less than the auto workers to pay for their greed. The Big 3 and the UAW have acted irresponsibly and out of greed for decades, now it is time for them to pay the price for their actions. When we are talking about a 50% pay cut for those making 300% the national average wages, I seriously doubt if too many ham hocks are going to be lost. The labor cost prohibit profits, and government has imposed moronic regulations and requirements on the companies to further insure loses.

But still, if GM disappeared today, the market would not, and others would buy the suppliers parts, assemble cars, and sell them The industry is not going away.

Now, how much pork in this deal to begin with? I know pay raised for judges is part of it. That is something we really need to save the economy.
Big 3, UAW, congress.....there are no good guys in this fight. Greedy idiots, liars, and thives, but no good guys.

HUSKER55
12-12-2008, 03:36 PM
The auto makers have no problem begging for money from the government how come they didn't argue sooner for a balance in the trade agreements.

How come the "Big Three" didn't complain about the value of the dollar which government is supposed to be responsible for.

Parts made in America. Please. Next time you go to a store read who manufactored the part and where it came from. My boy bought a rotor for his brakes the other day and it was labeled "Made in Brazil".

The big 3 screwed the pooch and those that cast their lot with them should rightfuly pay for their folly as well.

What did the Unions do? Did they warn anybody? Write an ad? go on tv or radio?

They did nothing but run the company into the ground.

Hooligan
12-12-2008, 07:20 PM
video report, I'm not looking for an argument with union haters,just pointing out some of the down side when they go away!
http://kdka.com/video/?id=50164@kdka.dayport.com