PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur at Best

rrbauer
12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Everytime I see an article by Fred Pope on how to fix racing, I cringe. This is no exception.

From the article:
"Pope said a revised model could produce $500 million a year for purses. He suggested the IHA be changed to mandate that host tracks and horsemen get 50% of the takeout on interstate wagers; that language granting horsemen in receiving states consent be removed; and that the word "horsemen" be changed to "raceehorse owners."

“We need a business model to grow the live racing product,” Pope said. “Bet-taking has no place in the new economy. The unfair advantage racing has been given by the federal government has never been realized because of the stranglehold bet-takers have on our sport. How we’ve screwed this up over the years is a crying shame.”

Comment:
Pope wants to "grow" the racing product by increasing purses which, according to him, will grow the live-racing product. Nuts! Nothing, short of turning off all simulcasting and Internet betting, will grow the live racing product. And, that would remove 3/4 of the handle that's in the game today. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. If Pope wants to contribute to the industry, he should signup for pall bearer, and join some of the other "experts" who are going to bury this game.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/48409.htm?id=48409&source=rss

bobbyb
12-12-2008, 08:46 AM
This guy is asleep at the switch. Let's hope some of the out to lunch track owners - not embrace anything he proposes - then again......... :rolleyes:

Zman179
12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Comment:
Pope wants to "grow" the racing product by increasing purses which, according to him, will grow the live-racing product. Nuts! Nothing, short of turning off all simulcasting and Internet betting, will grow the live racing product. And, that would remove 3/4 of the handle that's in the game today. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. If Pope wants to contribute to the industry, he should signup for pall bearer, and join some of the other "experts" who are going to bury this game.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/48409.htm?id=48409&source=rss

Umm, Fred Pope, I've got news for you: You haven't got a clue.

Increasing purses does absolutely nothing to attract attention from horseplayers. Look at Philadelphia Park. Thanks to slots, their purses are equivalent to those in New York. Yet the handle is still the same as when they were running $18,000 allowance races. Or look at Presque Isle Downs. Looking at their purses, one would think that it would attract a lot of simulcasting action. There were days when they gave away more in purses than they took in in handle.
One time I brought a newbie to an OTB. He picked up the program and saw the purse money. He said to me, "Wow! You mean I have a chance to win $100,000?!?" I said no, that's what the people who train and own the horses are running for. You make your money by betting on the race and trying to turn $2 into $20. Thirty seconds later, we were getting slices in the pizza parlor next door.

Who gives a rats ass if a race is being run for a one million dollar purse. I sure as hell ain't gonna get any of it.

rrbauer
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Who gives a rats ass if a race is being run for a one million dollar purse. I sure as hell ain't gonna get any of it.

Amen! :ThmbUp: