PDA

View Full Version : Help Ralph are you out there??

pktruckdriver
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey Ralph

I am having issues with Vista and you were suggested as my possible saviour.

It seems that I may be having permission issues.

I may be running some stuff as adminstrator and others normally.

But when this happens within the same program it is causing issues..

Is there a way to fix this or find a solution somehow???

Or is going back to windows XP the only thing to do, then everything I do will want to upgrade every minute the computer is on, isn't that how it goes with older versions running?

patiently waiting, promising not to throw the computer out the window, yet

Patrick

JustRalph
12-12-2008, 12:49 AM
give me a better example of your problem............ you are kind of vague in your post.

There are lots of good computer types on this board........let's throw it open to everybody.

pktruckdriver
12-12-2008, 06:21 AM
It seems that I am getting alot of isssues that will not allow me to write to certain files within a program.

It appears that my computer may be running on dual personality mode

It seems to run normal and then other times things will only work if it is run as administrator, by right clicking and hitting the, " run as administator"

Dave can you add you two cents to this issue , please ?

PERMISSION ISSUES

What are they and why do I have them, it seems to be a VISTA PROBLEM.

I really do not know how to elaborate any further, sorry. Maybe Dave can?

Patrick

Jeff P
12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Patrick,

An easy way of making individual programs launched via shortcut run as admin:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/automatically-have-shortcuts-run-as-administrator-in-vista/

Windows Vista's integrity mechanism explained:
http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid192_gci1270578,00.html

Hope that helps.

-jp

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2008, 10:11 AM
It appears that HSH cannot get write access to a few files.

It works fine upon installation but then it loses write acces to some file and never gets it back.

When I looked at his system (live) I could not delete some files, even after a reboot. Apparently I (as the logged in user) lacked permission.

I am thinking that somehow he has files in a "mixed mode." That is, sometime the ownership is admin and other times not. Of course, the software needs the same access to all the files it writes.

Note that we have had a number of other Vista users (including me at one time) who ran without incident.

In addition, one of our other users has been helping him some. Ran a registry checker (not sure which one) and it found hundreds of "bad" entries. Now, HSH does not write to the registry but this might contribute to the problem.

I have suggested that PK "format C" and begin again with a re-install of the OS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Jeff P
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.pcmech.com/article/automatically-have-shortcuts-run-as-administrator-in-vista/
Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
In the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button.
Check the box for “Run as Administrator”.
Click Ok to apply your changes. Q. If HSH (or any program) is launched from a shortcut where permissions rights have previously been set as indicated above (so that the program has admin rights) does the file permissions issue persist?

-jp

Marshall Bennett
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Know this is a dumb question but I've set up a new computer with vista and cannot for the life of me find where to delete temp. files . Used to right click IE and go to properties but its no-go on this one ??

bobbyb
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes Jeff, it could persist

His best bet would be to take ownership and grant full control permissions from command line. Or you can also prepare a Windows shell batch script that easily perform the task by typing simple command.

Another option would be to use the Vista Shrink option, install Win XP and give Vista another year +

bobby

Jeff P
12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Bobby - understood.

Marshall - try this:
http://vista.tele2.com/ie7/delete_temp/

-jp

Marshall Bennett
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Bobby - understood.

Marshall - try this:
http://vista.tele2.com/ie7/delete_temp/

-jp

Thank you so much Jeff !! That did it .

pktruckdriver
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow so much help, I am trying a few things a will let you know the outcome.

Again thank you all for quick responses, with this much help I feel confident I(we) will find a solution to this problem.

Patrick

robert99
12-12-2008, 04:52 PM
In Windows Explorer if you right click on the problem program folder - select Properties then Security tabs you should see a page that gives permissions to "Everyone" and the read/write etc permissions are all ticked except "special permissions". If that is OK, check all the program subfolders and data folder are same as main folder should be.

For possible interest in understanding: Vista User Account Control UAC, confusingly even if logged in as Administrator, works on 2 tokens - a user token and an administrative token.
The user works away happily with the user token rights until a system or software program change is required, then Vista asks you to accept, or not, the administrative token control from a UAC a pop-up window. It may be that your data is going in with the program files folder and that is admin token protected, or it may be the software is not written correctly for Vista (can change things to run it as XP software say) , or, you have switched off UAC some time after using program with UAC or as above the folders do not have the correct permissions set.

UAC will be turned down to be more user helpful in Windows 7

JustRalph
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I am on the road. headed to a poker game...........not much time online this weekend.

looks like you are getting good info.............

remember to take ownership of certain files if they give you a problem.............do a google search for

take ownership.......... there are several ways to do it. I just copied some files onto my new vista box and had to do this with a few files when I started using the programs associated with them. fyi

pktruckdriver
12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
One suggested response was to download Tweak UAC

Save and run it

I did that and will look into other scenarios too.

Again thanks for your replys

Patrick

PaceAdvantage
12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Not sure if this helps, but the first thing I did after I installed Vista ten months ago was to turn OFF User Account Control. Simple, clean, and neat...never looked back...never had a problem...

pktruckdriver
12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
In Windows Explorer if you right click on the problem program folder - select Properties then Security tabs you should see a page that gives permissions to "Everyone" and the read/write etc permissions are all ticked except "special permissions". If that is OK, check all the program subfolders and data folder are same as main folder should be.

For possible interest in understanding: Vista User Account Control UAC, confusingly even if logged in as Administrator, works on 2 tokens - a user token and an administrative token.
The user works away happily with the user token rights until a system or software program change is required, then Vista asks you to accept, or not, the administrative token control from a UAC a pop-up window. It may be that your data is going in with the program files folder and that is admin token protected, or it may be the software is not written correctly for Vista (can change things to run it as XP software say) , or, you have switched off UAC some time after using program with UAC or as above the folders do not have the correct permissions set.

UAC will be turned down to be more user helpful in Windows 7

Hey Bossman

Is that what Robert99 is trying to exlain to me, to turn off the UAC , but for the life of me I can not make out how he has me doing it, sorry 99 but I am lost by your explanation, though it is much appreciated...

Have you looked at the program TweakUAC, it claims to turn off UAC, but why do I feel that it didn't. I still have lots of pop-up boxes asking for permissions.

Bossman , you state that all you did was turn off UAC, period, nothing else.

How did you turn it off, and why did you, wanting know out of curiousity, please, if you don't mind?

I figure last resort here wil be finding a refurbished with XP under 500, but it must be big enough and fast enough.

Or have mine wiped // reloaded and then shrunk // then find XP for it // get the old drivers and service packs 1 & 2 // all this for under 500, is that possible?

Boy that seems pretty drastic for a few permission issues, has anyone taken user " Lack of computer usage" into account here, as I am not that computer literate, cut and paste sure, but never touched a f key or used a shift or control key, i thought a spreadsheet, was for the bed, the one you sleep in.

So is it that me and my computer are ok, I just may need to use it better, and the program I have in mind seems pretty finicky as it is, because I have already did a few no no's and brought the house down, and yet I feel I did it and not my computer and it's permissions issues, but then I may be totally wrong here, but one thing is for sure it seems that only I am having these problems, no one else is having them, so what does that tell you, I mean really what does that tell you, other vista users are ok, some did some changing, others went back to XP, but others are doing just fine with vista, but not me, and my problems are also unique to me, no one else seems to be having them along with me, that too seems wierd, but then thats me, I'm unique.

So last resort seems to costing me 500 or so, can get it fixed for cheaper, I plead with you?

No longer frustrated, just confused/baffled/totally lost
Thanks all :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Patrick

Derbyman32
12-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Try this

The following explains the method for disabling the User Account Control (UAC) on a Windows Vista operating system. At the end of this procedure the system will need to reboot so ensure that you have saved all of your work prior to starting this process.

Left Click ‘Start’
Left Click ‘Control Panel’
Left Double Click ‘User Accounts’
Left Click ‘Turn User Account Control on or off’. A Windows Popup box will ask your permission to continue. Left Click ‘Continue’.
You will see a check box. When the box is checked then UAC is enabled. Remove the check mark from the box so that the box is empty by Left clicking on the box.
Left Click ‘Select OK’
You will need to restart your computer for this change to take affect.
UAC is now disabled

headhawg
12-13-2008, 10:00 AM
The above method to disable UAC as well as some other ones can be found here (http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm).