PDA

View Full Version : Recency pays;3 day repeater at Aqueduct

BlueShoe
12-10-2008, 09:29 PM
In the past we have had discussions regarding recency.The modern trend has been to give a horse plenty of time between races.Often we hear a trainer say something like "3 weeks was too soon to bring him back,so we skipped the race",or something similar.Well,how about bringing him back in three DAYS?In Sundays 5th race at Aqueduct in post 12 on the AE list was Reptilian Smarts.He had just won going away vs. softer on Thursday,just 3 days ago.Not expected to draw in,and not expected to start if he did get in,he did start.Reptilian Smarts managed to slither by them all in the stretch,and after he snaked his way into the winners circle,he rewarded his backers $9.60.Now this was not a rock bottom claimer at Fendale in the summer,this was a mid level claiming race that was competitive.Cannot recall a 3 day day repeater at a major track within my memory,but it was refreshing to see this runner pull it off.Still love these kind,the ones that come back quickly off of an easy win and stepping up.It is almost as if the trainer is telling us that his horse came out of the race great and we are coming right back to try and grab another purse.

Tampa Russ
12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
In the past we have had discussions regarding recency.The modern trend has been to give a horse plenty of time between races.Often we hear a trainer say something like "3 weeks was too soon to bring him back,so we skipped the race",or something similar.Well,how about bringing him back in three DAYS?In Sundays 5th race at Aqueduct in post 12 on the AE list was Reptilian Smarts.He had just won going away vs. softer on Thursday,just 3 days ago.Not expected to draw in,and not expected to start if he did get in,he did start.Reptilian Smarts managed to slither by them all in the stretch,and after he snaked his way into the winners circle,he rewarded his backers $9.60.Now this was not a rock bottom claimer at Fendale in the summer,this was a mid level claiming race that was competitive.Cannot recall a 3 day day repeater at a major track within my memory,but it was refreshing to see this runner pull it off.Still love these kind,the ones that come back quickly off of an easy win and stepping up.It is almost as if the trainer is telling us that his horse came out of the race great and we are coming right back to try and grab another purse.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure Dutrow brought him back after 5 days off in his previous start off the claim. 3 races in 8 days.

Mineshaft
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
2 years ago at Sam Houston a horse won after just racing 2 days ago

Garvin27
12-11-2008, 01:41 AM
2 years ago at Sam Houston a horse won after just racing 2 days ago

Ditto, Gasper Moschera claimed for $90.000 (100K top price ) and returned the horse to win in 2 days. [ I don't reacll exact year, circa mid-80's ]. At Belmont.

NY BRED
12-11-2008, 05:32 AM
at the risk of dating myself, Oscar Barrera often pulled these type
of maneuvers in NY:bang:
l

Garvin27
12-11-2008, 08:49 AM
l

Notoriouly so. A 4 or 5-day return was commonplace. (along with additional 3-day returns from time to time. [I can date myself bsck to the mummy's tomb]

dave the horseman
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
A horse won off back to backs at Laurel park just the other day.

Tom
12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
l

I remember once Martin had a horse in the first, and Oscar had the same horse in the eighth! :eek::D

Milleruszk
12-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I remember once Martin had a horse in the first, and Oscar had the same horse in the eighth! :eek::D

Those were the days of Shifty Sheik :eek:

Figman
12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Back in 1963, Carlos Figueroa won five races in eight days on the Massachusetts Fair Circuit with a horse he trained named Shannon's Hope. Figueroa said the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals came to investigate. ''I told them, 'I run Shannon's Hope short distances, six and a half furlongs, no farther,' '' he said. ''This man named Paul Revere, he's a hero in Massachusetts, but he ran his horse 26 miles in one night!'' Figueroa still trains today, 45 years later, in New England at Suffolk Downs.

SmartyMarty
12-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Dicky is 3/8 5 ITM with the winner last out ,3 day return..in 08...

Hardly a NEW move...

formulator 4.1 gizmos are a wonderful thing...

SmartyMarty
12-11-2008, 09:56 PM
sorry above should read 3/6 5 ITM

lamboguy
12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
horses with big physical problems need time between races. years ago the real good ones ran once or even twice a week all the time. it was not uncommon to see a good horse have 35 starts in one year. i am told that man of war ran more than 1 race in a week a few times.

but back then there was no such thing as lasix or bute or some of these other drugs that often horses need to recover from.

Achilles
12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
FYI:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-112329784.html

I was living in England in 1988, and remember seeing this horse run in a few of the handicaps mentioned.

Jack

onefast99
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
During the inner track meet at Aqueduct Contessa and Dutrow will run horses right back after a previous race usually 5-8 days and Contessa did ok with this type of move last year.

NY BRED
12-12-2008, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]I remember once Martin had a horse in the first, and Oscar had the same horse in the eighth! :eek::D[/QUOTE

All you needed was Gaspar in the middle:rolleyes: :lol:

P