PDA

View Full Version : Mangold's Bug Boy Vid

strapper
12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Anybody able to check out Kevin Mangold's apprentice jockey dvd? Kevin is a multi-talented guy who was in Seabiscuit in a bit role. He is also in his apprentice video along with Elizabeth Gilbert and two other aspiring jocks. I thought he did a great job on it. Hope he found a market for it. Filmed at Portland if I recall or could've been another track in NW.

boomman
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Anybody able to check out Kevin Mangold's apprentice jockey dvd? Kevin is a multi-talented guy who was in Seabiscuit in a bit role. He is also in his apprentice video along with Elizabeth Gilbert and two other aspiring jocks. I thought he did a great job on it. Hope he found a market for it. Filmed at Portland if I recall or could've been another track in NW.

I had the opportunity to meet Kevin Mangold when he was an apprentice jockey at Yavapai and he is a great guy! I also believe that in addition to his national Claritin Commercial (which I'm sure he made some nice cash on) and the roles you discuss above, he was a character actor at Disneyland..........

I wish him continued success..........:ThmbUp:

Boomer

mountainman
12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Mangold is an intelligent and personable guy with no riding talent whatsoever. He may hold the record for keeping the bug. Kevin has a quirky temper and can be his own worst enemy.

strapper
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
How long did Kevin ride at the major southern California tracks? He has pics of riding there on his website. Mountainmen, why do you say he had a quirky temper? I'm guessing he rode at Mountaineer?

mountainman
12-11-2008, 12:15 AM
How long did Kevin ride at the major southern California tracks? He has pics of riding there on his website. Mountainmen, why do you say he had a quirky temper? I'm guessing he rode at Mountaineer?

Yes he did. And I like Kevin, he and I are aquainted.

ralph_the_cat
12-11-2008, 12:26 AM
His best mount was in the 1938 Santa Anita Handicap... :lol:

ralph_the_cat
12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
What is the bug boy video about anyways?...

strapper
12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
"The Apprentice" video followed 3 aspiring jockeys and also Kevin behind the scenes. It had the feel of a reality show. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. The girl jockey in the video, Elizabeth Gilbert, is still plying her trade in the NW, not sure about the other two guys. I think the youngest one was worried about gaining weight as he got older. Kevin did a fine job on it. Like I said he's multi-talented, writes, takes pics, acts, the whole ball of wax. He's more than a jockey.

Frontenac
12-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Mangold is an intelligent and personable guy with no riding talent whatsoever. He may hold the record for keeping the bug. Kevin has a quirky temper and can be his own worst enemy.

I agree with you. This guy is one of the most inept riders out there.
Almost an automatic tossout when I see his name.

jballscalls
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
didnt he have some legal troubles in the past couple years that forced him to quit riding?? or were those backstretch rumors around here?

boomman
12-11-2008, 10:17 AM
didnt he have some legal troubles in the past couple years that forced him to quit riding?? or were those backstretch rumors around here?

Balls: I am not aware of him having any legal probs, but I will tell you one thing: That National Claritin commercial earned him big bucks! It aired for quite a while and I am very aware of how much National TV commercials are worth to the actors, (especially when they are long run) as I made decent money doing radio voiceovers several years back.........

Boomer

jballscalls
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
oh i dont doubt it!! He came to a game at our suite at the mariners a couple years ago, he and Ricky Frazier and some other guys from Emd, Kevin and Ricky were both very nice guys.

mountainman
12-11-2008, 11:44 AM
"The Apprentice" video followed 3 aspiring jockeys and also Kevin behind the scenes. It had the feel of a reality show. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. The girl jockey in the video, Elizabeth Gilbert, is still plying her trade in the NW, not sure about the other two guys. I think the youngest one was worried about gaining weight as he got older. Kevin did a fine job on it. Like I said he's multi-talented, writes, takes pics, acts, the whole ball of wax. He's more than a jockey.

Is Kevin still a bug?

joanied
12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyone have a link for this DVD....kinda curious about it.

I recall that Claritin commercial...I don't know this guy, but the commercial was pretty good...for a commercial...actually, I wish they'd use more horse racing themes in TV commercials...we need the exposure.

mountainman
12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Mountainmen, why do you say he had a quirky temper? I'm guessing he rode at Mountaineer?

Kevin is well remembered here, but not for his efforts in the saddle. Having deemed the starting gate unsafe one evening, Kevin took it upon himself to "order" that the backup gate be wheeled in. When a steward politely informed him that such decisions were beyond a jockey's authority, Mr Mangold stated that his experience riding in so cal empowered him to make whatever call he saw fit in any matter pertaining to Mnr. Kevin's record here was something like 1 for 114 at the time.

strapper
12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
1 for 114 doesn't make one want to part with one's money in this game of chance. But I didn't start the thread to critique his riding record. I doubt if he was a bug when he made the video. Kev has also helped out at a jockey school in California, too.

Speaking of Ricky Frazier, he was the subject of another fine jockey video at Louisiana Downs long before Kevin's efforts to showcase his profession. I think that one was entitled "Ride Like The Wind" or something along those lines. Ricky has been riding a long time with success. I watched him ride many winners at FG 20 years ago or so.

ralph_the_cat
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM
they showed that Shane Sellars "Jockey" thing on HBO last week again... that was made maybe 5 years ago or so... Some how my DVR picked it up... I imagine thats were a lot of these guys got the idea from... I remember parts of it were interesting... It was more of a cry out for help for jockeys, than actually following the jockeys... I was willing to watch it only because Romero was a pretty cool cat in his time... Watching the struggles of Romero or even guys like Birzer, Id watch, and listen to their tear jerk'n stories... but Im not going to listen to a guy like shane Sellars rant about how hard it is for him to make weight and talk about his bum knee and future music career... I like him, just not that much... I have no problem giving a jockey a pound or two, or seeing hes 4 or 5 lbs over, no complaints from me... but to listen to SOME cry out about making weight is annoying... its something they choose to do... the "its the only thing I know" excuse is lame... then exercise horses at 135lbs, you can make over a hundred bucks a day... and you dont have to pay an agent...

Alyblakester
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I saw the Shane Sellers/Randy Romero "Jockey" video too. It was sad to see Randy in that physical state. I wonder how he's doing now.

boomman
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Kevin is well remembered here, but not for his efforts in the saddle. Having deemed the starting gate unsafe one evening, Kevin took it upon himself to "order" that the backup gate be wheeled in. When a steward politely informed him that such decisions were beyond a jockey's authority, Mr Mangold stated that his experience riding in so cal empowered him to make whatever call he saw fit in any matter pertaining to Mnr. Kevin's record here was something like 1 for 114 at the time.

Mark: If you say this happened, I know it did, but that certainly isn't the Kevin Mangold I know. I can assure you that if he had that conversation with the stewards I've worked with they wouldn't have been nearly as polite!:D

Boomer

mountainman
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Mark: If you say this happened, I know it did, but that certainly isn't the Kevin Mangold I know. I can assure you that if he had that conversation with the stewards I've worked with they wouldn't have been nearly as polite!:D

Boomer
Kevin can be very charming Boom. And while I'm not saying that aspect of his personality is fake, I will say he's a real piece of work. Trust me, I've spared posters some more provocative anecdotes.