PDA

View Full Version : betting two horses to win

HUSKER55
12-10-2008, 10:20 AM
If you are going to bet two horse to win how do you determine the minimum odds you will accept on both horses.

lamboguy
12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
i don't think you really want to bet 2 horses unless you think you can beat a heavy favorite with one of them. so the field size would have alot to do with the answer to your question.

strapper
12-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Betting 2 horses (or more) same race is not a bad way to go in my opinion when you are confident taking a stand against the chalk. I would insist on at least odds of 6-1 or better when betting a pair; 8-1 or 10-1 at least on a 3-horse dutch.

Dave Schwartz
12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
IMHO, each wager stands on its own. That is, a horse who is a "good bet" at 8/1 is still a good bet in a race where you have a perceived profitable play on a second horse.

However, most "angle plays" (i.e. "play the top horse for factor X if he is over Y-1") I have researched indicate that the profit is dimished if the "top horse" is tied for top.

Therefore, my conclusion i sthat each race is somehwat different and demands a slightly different strategy. Think of it like a football playbook... some races call for a 2-horse win bet while other races call for a 3-horse exacta box and still others a 1 x 3 exacta key.

The key to winning is to know which to do when.

Harvhorse
12-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I bet 2 horse to win when they are 5/1 or better.

thelyingthief
12-12-2008, 12:24 AM
to hell with what I do: sit down with your records and determine what odds are suitable, given YOUR win rate and mutuels, and YOUR psychological requirements.

tlt-

cj's dad
12-12-2008, 12:44 AM
If you think either can win then why not play a boxed exacta with the 2 and then bet the longer price horse to win?

After all, if they run 1-2, and you don't have the ex, you"ll be kicking yourself.

classhandicapper
12-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Since the start of exchange betting, I have to admit I've bet as many as 5 horses to win in a race. :lol:

There are occasions where I dislike a few horses, but none of them is low enough odds to book a bet against. Sometimes I also I don't have a strong opinion on the values among the horses I make the contenders. So I look at all the contenders and if each looks like an overlay at the exchange, I take them all. I almost never net much profit, but I hit such an extremely high percentage of the bets it's a great way to keep myself levelheaded and avoid losing streaks (plus net a very small profit over time). I have no problem betting as many horses in a race as I think there are overlays.

so.cal.fan
12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I rarely bet 2 horses to win, but when I have, it's been a successful move more often than not.
Horses should both be 5/1 or thereabouts. Anything shorter....just box the exacta.
Always try to find a bet against a bad favorite.

Dan Montilion
12-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Bet two horses to win? Man, I already have too many losers.

wonatthewire1
12-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I bet 2 horse to win when they are 5/1 or better.

Agreed this is what I do; there are some rare occasions where I will bet 3 to win in a race if I'm netting 5-1 or better

The are races that I pass on (ones where the favorite is a standout or is less than even money with 5 MTP) but occasionally those horses are being bet because of a trainer and I will bet against if I'm finding win value on other horses.

I generally pass on races where there are less than 8 entries - though I'm finding that races with exactly 7 entries could be quite profitable with my style of play. Doing a bit more research on this now - perhaps I'll reconsider these if the numbers look good.

Long-term (just over 3 years) I average winning 43.71% of the races I play with an average win odds of 9.47-1.